News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed is taking root in WV

Started by The Machine, December 22, 2008, 02:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Dog

I posted on arfcom about the VA Appleseeds and had a guy from WV "wish" we had some up there this year.  I posted a link to the Stinson Appleseed information post.  Maybe he'll make one of them.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

The Machine

Quote from: Old Dog on March 12, 2009, 07:17:43 PM
I posted on arfcom about the VA Appleseeds and had a guy from WV "wish" we had some up there this year.  I posted a link to the Stinson Appleseed information post.  Maybe he'll make one of them.

Thanks OD, maybe we can make his "wish" come true. I'll have to head back over to arfcom, it's been awhile...
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

The Machine

It doesn't seem that long ago when the formative stages of an Appleseed program in WV began, but here we are, a half year later hosting our third event...real good news.  O0

We also have a DAR location positioned in the center of our state, within less than an hour from the Charleston metropolitan area, and no more than three hours from the other major population centers.

There were several folks who stepped forward with enthusiasm toward volunteering and/or attending events. Some even expressed interest in becoming instructors; a critical aspect of continuing Appleseed in WV.

In this time-frame, about 50 people have attended our events. Half of those in attendance have been from other states, however. In addition to this, there have been no takers on the instructor path.

I really want to see Appleseed succeed in WV, but lately, the motivation level of our state "volunteers" has been on the decline. I really hate to keep hammering on people (we're adults; not adolescents; right?) so I'm adding some insight from one of the national volunteers, to maybe put things in perspective.

I hope those who look at the Appleseed Project as a "shoot and scoot" program, reconsider this line of thinking after reading this piece (posted by funfaler):

QuoteThe mission of Appleseed?  To increase the population of Riflemen in this nation to a point that it is a nation of Riflemen.

So, allow me to dissect this a bit.

Rifleman = Not just someone that can shoot 210 or better on the AQT (this would be rifleman)  Rifleman is that spirit that demonstrates persistence in the face of adversity and perhaps seemingly hopeless outlook.  Envision that soul that, with the knowledge that the most powerful nation in the world has sent the most powerful army in the world after you, and while knowing that you will be out numbered, out trained and out equipped, you still grab your musket from over the mantle and step through your threshold.

"Increase the population..." = This is critical to not only the Appleseed program but for this nation.  There are enough programs out there to "raise awareness".....what have they done?

Waking people up is just one aspect of Appleseed, getting them to take ownership of their nation is the ultimate end.  So, just to paint a word picture, there would be enough Riflemen, those that know what they are about, those that understand the Founding Principles of this nation, in those leadership positions around the nation to so impact the course of events in this nation to be in line with the course our Founders set us upon.

So, the primary goal of Appleseed is the growth of Appleseed.   We would like to see a day that there is a county Appleseed range in every county of the nation.  School busses would pick up children on the weekends, with their rifles, and take them to the Appleseed range for an Appleseed.

That every person in representative positions around the nation are "graduates" of an Appleseed (or three).

This sort of thing happens with more Appleseeds.   Only with more Appleseeds.

"your hands full with your own movement..."  Here is something to consider.  Whatever movement that is, assuming it is not anti-American, then it would benefit from a strong Appleseed program in your community.  Your neighbors, representatives and others, would all have as a foundation, those Foundational Principles of our Founding generation.  They would have that underlying purpose to share together and in common with the likes of our Founders.

See, Appleseed is a non-threatening tool that can be used to ease folks off of their couch and into the rolls of Americans, the rolls of those that "DO" vs. "Watch and complain".

Example:  "He Joe, I am going to a Tea Party, want to go?"  Joe:  "Nah, I am not into politics, there is nothing I can do anyways".  OR..."Hey Joe, want to come with me to an Appleseed Shoot, learn rifle marksmanship and some History?".  Joe: "Yea, that sounds like fun (and not me "joining a movement")."    So we can get Joe out to hear the message and instill some motivation to get involved.

However, this is all possible, if we can keep Appleseed, the machine, running and growing.   

This program, unlike so many, has a long term focus.  Tea Parties are great, but lower the taxes to some yet to be determined level, they will disolve, all the while, the underlying reason they were set up in the first place is still there.   Same can be said of many other "movements".....If they succeed, how does that change the "Climate" of the nation?

In fact, most of the "movements" in America today are doomed to failure, not because they are not worthy, in fact, many are critical and needed, today and in the future, but they are doomed because the "Heart and Mind" of Americans are not behind them.   We can not dictate Liberty and Freedom, it has to be desired.

This is Appleseed.  Stirring that latent desire for Liberty and Freedom deep within every real American we can reach.  We stir enough, then all these other anti-American issues that these other groups are fighting will dissolve away, cause there will be not heart and mind for them.

So, the process of someone coming to Appleseed, getting motivated, not helping Appleseed, but rather their own pet project is death to Appleseed and ultimately for their pet project too.   However, giving time and resources to Appleseed, to keep this program growing and strengthening, will allow the other pet projects to flourish too, as the community gets populated by Riflemen.

Appleseed is a foundation building program, for marksmanship and for "civics".   If we can reach those hearts and minds that are not already involved, it will greatly aid those that are already involved.

The issue we are seeing here at Appleseed is not so much that people are not doing enough, it is that not enough people are doing Appleseed.
There are many other tasks/jobs here at Appleseed, beyond being an Instructor.  There is no doubt that an Appleseed Instructor is a breed of American unto themselves.   I marvel at the level of dedication, professionalism and effectiveness of these "mere normal Americans"....fact is, they are, by all measures, "super Americans".    However, they need support, in the back office, on the line, promoting shoots, setting up shoots, administrative measures, and so on.

So, if one can not Instruct, there is still plenty of places to contribute.

Appleseed has an unique American mission.  No where in the world is this sort of program happening.  No where in the world are we able to do this without asking permission.  No other program in America, that I can find, is so unique in set up and function.

Appleseed is not competing  for "volunteers".  We will not survive with folks that just want to clock in for a period of time, "volunteer" and move on.  Appleseed is a mission and mind set.  Do you want to see your community be populated by those same people that populate the Appleseed firing lines?   If this were to happen, would that be a serious bonus for your community and the organizations within that community?

We do ask Appleseeders to weave themselves into their community, actually it is weaving Appleseed in to the fabric of their community.

As you all go about your normal daily business, exploit those opportunities to push Appleseed and the Appleseed message.  However, we need folks to mind the Appleseed store, ensure that it is growing and making room for those millions of our neighbors to get out and gain that Appleseed and Founding generation exposure, thus building a foundational understanding that will move them from their couches and into the bilge, where the work needs to be done.

It is not an either/or, it is just living Appleseed, living as a Rifleman, rather than just a person with a rifle that attends an unique shoot once in a while.  It is someone who grasps the seriousness of the issues facing our nation, that being the ignorance, laziness and apathy of the American people.  Until we overcome these, there is no "pet issue" that we all have as individuals that stands a chance of succeeding.

The single source of power for all of these "pet projects" is the will of the American people.  That means that the education of the American people has to be the foundation of all other actions or movements.

Again, even if we have the best candidate, the best project, the best ideas, to improve this nation, they will all be for naught if there is not that foundational understanding of what America is about, what Americans are supposed to do, of what this nation is supposed to be, there is no advancement of American efforts.

If we don't have the will and mindset as mentioned above, I see another opportunity wasted here...as if this state hasn't had a belly full already. Anyone gonna do something about it?

For those wanting to track this back to the original thread it came from, here's the link:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=7275.msg67453;boardseen#new

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

GunnerJim

Although The Machine is already aware of this, I'm one of those who has slowed down. Not by choice, I've had some "minor" surgery to my left hand and for at least another 4 weeks I'm unable to do anything that I enjoy - except reread every W.E.B. Griffin book ever written and diddile with my computer. My darling bride has even convinced my Dr that driving my lawn tractor is not a good thing to do. Consequently the "hilly" parts of my lawn have grass 12-18" high. The flat parts, which I managed to cut one day when she was out, are now 6-8" high.

I will be up for part of the RBC, but only one night and hopefully I can pull my trailer out of there when I leave. Will know more about that when I have 2nd post-Op Dr. appointment on 8 Jun.

>:(
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
Thomas Jefferson

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
George Washington

The Machine

Congratulations to Spanner for getting his Rifleman patch and taking an Orange Hat at Ramseur, 7/05/09!  O0

Our IC is finally developing and we will hopefully have our first WV Shoot Boss by this Dec...the roots are growing deeper.

2010 is going to be a year of explosive growth in the WV program. We'll have 3 new locations coming online, for a total of 4. We will have additional Shoot Bosses and instructors in place to run these events. The area that we are still deficient in is promotions. Everyone can lend a hand in this area: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5765.0

I can confidently say that AS has taken root in WV, now let's see how much fruit the tree will bear.  ;)

jmdavis

Spanner definitely deserves congratulations. Yesterday, he put all seven steps into action.  He had no hesitation whatsoever when I walked up and asked him if he was interested in taking on an Orange Hat.  I do hope that the Virginia contingent can borrow him on occasion.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Barry-WV

The Machine

Some more fantastic news...WV had it's first female Rifleman and IIT emerge from the AQT anvil this past weekend--congratulations Beth! O0 Siglite followed suit on the next AQT--congratulations!  O0

What does this mean for WV? We have our first family of Riflemen developing (Alex will be Rifleman soon), and our first husband/wife instructor team taking shape. I believe siglite's family will be a motivation and inspiration for others in our program; this "dynamic trio" is another set of "booster rockets" that have been added to the WV program in the last 3 months.

I thank all of you guys--and gal--that have jumped aboard lately and are doing a wonderful job of helping WV AS grow. Let's all put our shoulder to the applecart and keep the momentum going.  :)

Spanner

Congratulations (and a BIG THANKYOU) to Beth and Siglite for stepping up.  You guys are  8) the real deal.

" Decision-making is the supreme manifestation of human dignity. "  -Jouvenel