News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Facebook SUX!

Started by DrRichP, August 04, 2016, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRichP

I just wanted to let our Appleseed community know, I think Facebook SUX!.

Our Illinois SC has worked very hard to get back into a range in Ottawa, IL on September 24-25, 2016. He got approval and wanted to do a Facebook "boost" post to promote the event and try to get it sold out.

Facebook rejected the boost because Project Appleseed offers firearms training. I can only guess they would rather people with firearms remain untrained? In any case they SUCK! !@#)

What are our other options?
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

azmule

Well that seems inconsistent - FaceBorg has a bunch of state Appleseed pages.  Why would they be OK with all those Appleseed pages but flush a single post?

And yes, FaceBorg DOES suck.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Guntuckian

Boosted posts have a special approval process.  Try it again at 1 to 2 AM, California time.  You will usually get a junior staff member at that time of day, and such boosted posts usually get approved then.  Do it between 9 AM to 4 PM California time, and rejection is nearly guaranteed.

--gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

2 clicks low

I had a FB page for my CCW classes. They always wanted to take my money to promote.
Go figure.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

airplanejoe

Amen!! I lived over 65 years prior to faceborg and didn't miss it. Why would I need it now? My $0.02.
aj

Kimber Custom

I've boosted several events and posts with no problems

Johnnyappleseed

Rush calls it fakebook !
I prefer life w/o it.
just saying :)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Weezer

I like Gary's idea about trying it in the wee hours of the morning, PST.     

That being said, I steer clear of all social media.  I don't do tweets, twits, Instagram, instant messaging, instant gratification, Faceborg, FaceTime, facial recognition... ;D    I leave all of that to spitstickler - he's my TX social media genius.   O0
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Laredo

I am not on Facebook personally.   I don't like it...  I choose not to participate in their social engineering....

That being said... I do run the il Facebook page... It's a great marketing tool...  Easy cheap way to get the word out about events... 
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

FiremanBob

As Laredo said, many of us will never use that site for ourselves. But hundreds of thousands of potential Appleseeders do use it. It's a powerful marketing tool.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

TaosGlock

We use Facebucket to post many AAR's. We do not have a NM page.
I have not tried "boosted" posts.
Thanks for the heads up!
I am not suprised by Zuckerman's antics.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

MikeCee

Quote from: Kimber Custom on August 05, 2016, 12:04:49 PM
I've boosted several events and posts with no problems

I haven't had any issues posting or boosting Appleseed events, but I did get a rejection about boosting my range's web page, at least initially.

When I submitted the boost, I received a notification that my ad was being rejected because, as the rejection stated, we were involved with firearms sales and advertising such was against Facebook's rules. I promptly appealed this because we don't sell anything at our range, we're just a member-only shooting and archery range. My appeal was accepted and the ad was posted within an hour.

After reading more about how they process things over there, it became obvious to me that merely mentioning firearms caused one of their pajamaboy reviewers to have a panic attack, which lead to the initial rejection. The appeal appears to have caught the attention of a more mature individual on the FB staff who over-ruled the initial response. I hope they found a "safe space" for the frightened one to safety recover in.
Qualified Rifleman Feb 2014 - Annapolis, MD
Requalified Rifleman July 2014 - Waldorf, MD
Joined Applecore July 2014
Requalified Rifleman May 2017 - Annapolis, MD