News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dry Fire practice and help

Started by daniel17319, June 29, 2016, 12:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daniel17319

I was wondering if anyone around here could help me zero my m14 style rifle and or does some shooting on the weekend and wants to hang out, work on getting better at shooting. etc.

thanks

jmdavis

If you really want to get better, develop a system and follow it. Start by dryfiring in the standing position. Focus on good shot execution and the best hold that you can manage. Do that 10 times. If you find your mind wondering before you get to 10, stop and do something else.

You can zero your rifle at 25m or yards to get an ~200 yard zero. Sling up and get in prone or sitting and shoot at a 1 inch square on graph paper (color it black). Once you have your initial group adjust to center.

If you need advice about using your sling or how your sights adjust (service rifles are clockwise for up and right). Just ask.

Before you do all of that, starting with whereever your rear sight is set, count the number of clicks all the way to one side. This will tell us if you have 1/2 minute or whole minute windage clicks. The windage knob is the one on the right. If you have 35 or more from center to all the way to one side, you have 1/2 minute windage.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

daniel17319

I read somewhere that you have to adjust the sight some how don't know how.

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

daniel17319

Thanks for the hep, I always appreciate when someone replies to my post with useful info. Im looking for local people to connect with that are interested in getting better at shooting challenging each other and go shooting etc.

NightFisher

That M14 type you have is a great rifle.  Look for a local Appleseed and sign up, you will meet some great people and even better instructors.  Your centerfire will certainly do a 25yd Appleseed but your pocketbook and shoulder would be better off with a .22 at your first Appleseed.  After you get that under your belt, sign up for an Appleseed Known Distance and stretch the legs on that M14 out to 3 or 4 hundred yards.

daniel17319