Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3062 times)

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:12:21 PM »
I'm a new member and just wanted to say hello.
I plan on taking the course this fall and I was wondering why I don't see anything scheduled for NJ ? I guess I'll be taking it in Livingston NY.
Those  who  are  brave  are  free ..

Marlin 795 LTR / Henry AR-7 /Mossberg 500 / Ruger Mini 14/ Browning Buckmark / Sig P228 / Kimber Gold Match 2

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
I should have mentioned I purchased the Marlin 795 LTR and had planned to practice with it over the summer. I received it yesterday and cleaned and lubed it last night.
I went to the range this morning and found the front sight was canted to the left several degrees. With the rear sight maxed out to the left I was still 5" from center at 25 yards.
I contacted Marlin and it goes to them on Monday.  !@#)

Marlin 795 LTR / Henry AR-7 /Mossberg 500 / Ruger Mini 14/ Browning Buckmark / Sig P228 / Kimber Gold Match 2

Offline Texas T

• Shoot Boss
  • What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:08:46 AM »
Welcome.  I don't know exactly where you are in NJ, but if you are anywhere close to PA, there are a number of shoots on the calendar near the Philly area (and surrounding geography as well). Maybe something that would work for you.

:) :)
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:50:39 PM »
Thanks Texas T I'll have to check the Pa schedule and locations.  O0

Online Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 01:39:56 PM »
Welcome!

There are several shoots in Easter PA as stated above.

Get off the couch, get involved and make NJ a free state where all rights can flourish and be enjoyed.

If not you who?

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:24:32 PM »
Update on Marlin LTR.
Well so far I have to give credit to both UPS and Remington.
The rifle was picked up by UPS Monday 6-6 at 5:00 PM. It was delivered to Remington on 6-7-16 at 11:00 AM.  O0
I checked the online repair status and on 6-8 it changed from New to RepairingO0

Online Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 03:46:02 AM »
I hope you get your rifle back quickly.  If you want to get to a shoot I'm sure a loaner can be arranged.

I was suggesting lobbying or running for office. >:D. So much is lost in interwebs communications. :-[
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Offline StevenK

• Charter Pistol Instructor
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • FRONT toward enemy-do not eat.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 08:14:12 AM »
There is an event this weekend at palmerton p . About 2.25 hours away. Check the schedule.
Cowards never start; the weak never finish; Winners never quit.

May we all find Peace.

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 08:58:13 AM »
Charles I didn't take it the wrong way. I was just explaining that I have been doing stuff to try and get something together.  :)

Steven thank you for listening and trying to explain things to me regarding Appleseed.  :bow:
I think I'll wait until I get the rifle back and practice during the summer. Most of my experience has been with pistols and I'd like to go to a weekend event at least somewhat prepared. If nothing else it should make it easier on the instructors and the shoot boss.
Thank you and again if I can help I will.

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:25 PM »

Update on Marlin LTR

I just got in from the range and checked my repair status online with Remington. For 2 1/2 days it said repairing and now it says parked. I called to find out what parked meant and they said they cannot repair or replace the LTR barrel. They will have to get in a new LTR rifle, destroy mine and send the new LTR to my FFL. So I'm looking at probably 2 more weeks. On top of that re pay my FFL and submit the bill to them for reimbursement.

Online Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »
Hope you get it back quickly.  I have heard of 4+ month waits on Remington's "customer service."

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 05:26:46 PM »
New Update on the LTR

The reason they could not do a repair is it was a limited production rifle. Basically the barrel is rotated 180 degrees so the dovetail is now down. Then the front sight hole is drilled and tapped along with the writing on the barrel. If they replaced it now it is with a stock 795 barrel so it wouldn't be the same as the LTR. Long story short they are giving me a full reimbursement, a letter stating it is destroyed and I just ordered a new LTR. Hopefully this one has no problems.
After the frustration on my part I think Remington stepped up.

Offline NJrefugee

• Shoot Boss
  • When I say WHOA - I MEAN WHOA!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »
Welcome to the program.  I have a 795 LTR and my front sight is slightly canted as well.  Fortunately, it is not too far off, and I got it to zero by pushing the rear sight almost all the way to the left, with very little room to spare.  Once it was set, it was good to go and I have not had to mess with it too much.  I will mention that the rear sight may not be 100% secure from the factory.  I found mine walking back during my first Appleseed.  A little blue loctite and some extra torque on the screw helped solve that problem.

There was a thread a while back that you might find interesting:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=38980.0

I grew up in Morris County, NJ and spent nearly 10 years living in Hoboken.  Then some life circumstances put us in Texas, which is now our adopted home.  What part of the state are you in?   

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 05:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the welcome !
It's a small world. I'm about 30 minutes from Hoboken. My father grew up there in the "brown stones". I'm about 15 minutes north of the GWB.

Thank you for the link I read through it and it's very helpful.

My front sight was canted so bad that with rear sight centered I wasn't on paper at 25 yards. With it maxed out to the left I was roughly 5" from center. The good news is after working everything out with Remington I now have another LTR ordered and I should have it next week. Hopefully this one is in better shape.

Offline NJrefugee

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 07:49:24 PM »
Small world indeed!  Those brown stones are beautiful and many are worth well north of a million bucks now.  Understandable given that Hoboken definitely has its advantages -- What I'd give right now for a hero from Vito's Italian Deli!

I hope the new LTR will serve you well once it arrives.  Mine has been great and has produced more than a few Rifleman scores for a number of shooters.  One flaw in the design is the plastic trigger guard that extends around the magwell.  The thin plastic is easy to crack when disassembling the rifle.  I broke mine, but it wasn't a total loss since it gave me an excuse to upgrade some of the parts.

I replaced the trigger and trigger guard with parts from DIP Inc. The DIP trigger isn't any lighter since it uses the stock springs and internals, but it is a little wider so you get more leverage which makes it feel a little lighter. It also has pre and over travel screws, which I adjusted to take out almost all of the movement.  Here is the link.
https://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156299&CAT=3603

Looking forward to reading your feedback after your first Appleseed! 

Offline VietVet

• NorthEast Regional Coordinator
  • Senior Instructor
  • 101ST AIRBORNE
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 09:24:02 PM »
I'm a new member and just wanted to say hello.
I plan on taking the course this fall and I was wondering why I don't see anything scheduled for NJ ? I guess I'll be taking it in Livingston NY.

Why not join us in Westhampton Beach, New York.

Just across the river and a little East.

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=610
"Any man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled to. Less than that no man shall have".  T. Roosevelt

OUR FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Offline NJrefugee

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
Good stuff.  I have been contemplating the spring kit, since my trigger is currently at least 6lbs.  I'd be interested to hear your feedback on that.  I never really minded at first, but now that I have the SSA-E in my AR, I'm becoming a little spoiled...

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »
I felt the same way when I fired the first LTR .. with the bad sight. It was slightly over 6 lbs and compared to my BuckMark it was bad. The BuckMark is right at 4 lbs.
In my opinion 4 lbs is ideal. I've fired pistols with 1 1/2 lb triggers and to me it was too light. It may be useful if you shoot competition but I personally didn't like it. My Kimber is also at 4 lbs and my Sig is at 5 lbs but with everything polished by the custom shop. It actually feels like 4 lbs it's so smooth. Again just my opinion.

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
I was able to squeeze in 45 minutes at the range first thing this morning. Right out of the box I was able to put them in the black at 23 yards. It's shooting about an inch and a half right and an inch low. After I loc tite the sites I'll adjust them. The trigger is the same right at 6 lbs. I only shot about 50 rounds so after I put a few hundred through I'll do the trigger/guard and trigger spring kit.

Offline NJrefugee

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »
Cool, it sounds like you should only need a few clicks, so more than enough adjustment room on the rear sight to get it dialed in.  After you get the rear sight secured, put a small line right behind it on the receiver using marker or nail polish or something.  If the sight starts walking back under recoil, you won't be able to see the little line anymore so you'll know right away that there is an issue.  Worked for me. 

Good luck with the rifle, and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you do the trigger.

Offline StevenK

• Charter Pistol Instructor
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • FRONT toward enemy-do not eat.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 12:57:59 AM »
Matamoras pa (right by port jervis) july 23 2016 is now an open appleseed - no longer "ladies only." Why not sign up?  https://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-location.php?locationid=420&id_event=4310
Cowards never start; the weak never finish; Winners never quit.

May we all find Peace.

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »
I thought I would share this with everyone and see if others found the same thing.
As I said I was going to Loc-Tite the front and rear sights before adjusting them at the range. I removed the rear aperture sight and it was slightly loose. I used Loc-Tite and secured it well. I then removed the front site and I found another threaded hole under the sight. It was misaligned well off to the right. I began thinking about the first LTR. The sight was canted well off to the left and I bet there was a second hole misaligned as well. Remlin couldn't drill/tap another because the sight base would not cover it.
Before you all think I'm paranoid or something I asked my buddy to check his .. he just got it a month or so ago. Sure enough two holes. So the first LTR had to be destroyed because of a canted front sight. My replacement LTR has two drilled and tapped holes and my buddies , a third, has the same thing. This also explains why the front sight is further back from the end of the barrel compared to other rifles. I took a picture and I'm posting it.
Now don't get me wrong it doesn't affect the functionality of the rifle. I just thought it kind of low class for Remington to knowingly have a problem and just re drill and tap and pass it along.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:38:44 PM by icepounder »

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
After thinking about it last night I came to two conclusions. First this problem must be on a large scale because the first LTR was 24XXX and this is 60XXX and my buddies is 60XXX. That's at least 36,000 rifles. Second while looking down the barrel the hole that is off to the right (in the picture) is centered perfectly between the 2 sets of stamped lettering on the left and right side of the barrel .. which is off centered to the right. I believe the first sight hole (now off to the right) and the stamped lettering were all set up correctly and they pinned the barrel wrong .. offset. The cheapest way for Remington to correct it was to re drill and tap the sight hole.

Offline NJrefugee

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
Makes sense.  Destroying the rifles seems silly when they can correct the problem in 5 minutes by drilling another hole for the front sight.  It's definitely a lot cheaper to drill a second hole than to destroy the rifle and start over, especially if there was no issue with the receiver.  I was wondering about that when you said that is what they told you when you called to find out what Parked meant.  I would happily buy any returned rifles at a discount and fix the front sight myself, rather than see them go to waste. 

I'm sure you are correctly relaying what they said, it just doesn't comport with common sense or the fact that you are seeing 2 holes in your new rifle now.  Maybe they gave you a story or the person was misinformed.  Or, I guess it's possible they stepped up their quality control (after many people reported the same problem that you encountered) and caught the issue upon inspection and corrected it at the factory before selling/shipping the new rifle that you got. 

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 10:52:18 PM »
I'm sure you are correctly relaying what they said, it just doesn't comport with common sense or the fact that you are seeing 2 holes in your new rifle now.  Maybe they gave you a story or the person was misinformed.  Or, I guess it's possible they stepped up their quality control (after many people reported the same problem that you encountered) and caught the issue upon inspection and corrected it at the factory before selling/shipping the new rifle that you got.

I believe you are correct that at some point they found the problem and began drilling the second hole. I think my first LTR was so canted they knew they couldn't just drill and tap it. Also to set everything up and man hours it was probably cheaper to destroy.
They did not ship me a new rifle. It was a limited run and they are at dealers so Remington does not own them. I had to purchase another new old stock LTR and I was reimbursed by Remington.

Well so far so good with the LTR. I put 300 rounds through it without a hiccup. If I have time this week I'm going to do the trigger springs and the trigger guard/trigger kit. I'm also going to experiment with a fiber optic front sight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline NJrefugee

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
Good stuff!  I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes with the trigger mods. 

Were you able to find an Appleseed event to attend?

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »

Well I've been side tracked the past few weeks with house repairs, kids, etc.. I did manage to get the fiber optic front sight installed. I haven't had a chance to actually use it at the range to see if I prefer it or not. Hopefully over the weekend.
If I have a chance I'll try to take a picture and post it tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the other mods installed next week.
I'll be looking to attend an Appleseed event in the fall. I'll have to see what is available and the dates, etc..

Offline drifter52

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 11:44:18 PM »
icepounder-

First, a belated welcome - nice to see a new member active on the forum.

Now that you've got your 795 running I think you'll be happy with it.  I bought a 795 when I first joined the program - that was before Marlin issued the LTR version and I upgraded it with Tech Sights and web sling myself.  Its very accurate, even with the stock trigger.  Us 795 guys don't have all the after market support like Timney or  Volquartsen triggers, extended magazine releases, etc. that the 10-22 crowd have available, but the you'll see an improvement once you get the trigger and spring kit installed..  I installed the MCARBO target trigger and spring kit in my rifle a couple of weeks ago and the trigger is now pulling just a couple of ounces either side of 4 lbs and with almost no creep and a nice clean break. Watch the MCARBO installation videos and you shouldn't have any problems.

Something else to consider - if you find that you have to pull the magazines out of the rifle doing some light polishing in the magazine well should get the magazines to drop out smoothly when you press the magazine release.  That will help when you get to shooting the AQT stages that require magazine changes.

Hope to see you at shoot in NY or eastern PA this fall.  Livingston is always a good event.

Offline icepounder

• NE NJ
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
drifter52 thank you for the welcome and it would be great to meet up with you this fall.

Here's the picture of the fiber optic front sight. The picture isn't that great but hopefully you can see it. One thing I noticed is it has a cant to the left. I don't know if that was from tightening the set screw against the threaded base shaft or if it is bent. I'll have to look into it.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:02:21 PM by icepounder »

Offline Rev.357

• Instructor In Training 2
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 12:33:04 AM »
Wow,  Icepounder,  I've never heard of so much trouble with Marlin or Remington. I hope they read shooting sports forums.  This has got to take you to your frustration rope limit. You know, where Foghorn Leghorn stands with a board to clobber the dog. A rifleman persists. Sometimes it seems that some don't understand how hard shooters are working in places like Jersey and Illinois. Keep up the good work. Stand your ground. Persist.
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.