News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shooting after Appleseed

Started by Specialkay, June 02, 2016, 02:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luminous Rabbit

Quote from: StevenK on June 07, 2016, 09:58:40 AM
We do reach these things at Appleseed.
Cool.  I can only speak to what was and wasn't covered at the events I've been able to attend.  I've been told the events on the KD schedule are very different depending on where you go.

Specialkay

Quote from: navybowhunter on June 07, 2016, 02:39:14 PM
There are other ways to be eligible to purchase an M1 Garand, if you are waiting on the RWVA membership card.  Not really sure that is a requirement, I know we SB's have forms we sign routinely for students.

You need to participate in a CMP approved marksmanship course AND be a member of a CMP related organization. The form the SB's shoot covers the first, but not the second.

I chose the RWVA as my CMP related organization (I'd prefer my $20 membership fee to go to the RWVA than another organization I've never heard of).

I was waiting for the membership card when they sold out. I have it now though. Too little too late.
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

Sieggie

SpecialKay,

I do not believe they are sold out, only so far behind they put a hold on new orders. A friend of mine sent in his order just before the cutoff. He called recently to check if it had been received it and was told they are still opening mail from March. I think if you give them a couple of months, they will start accepting orders again.

Dave
Feb 20-21, 2016 1st Rifleman  Palm Bay, FL
Jun 18-19, 2016 1st Cleared Red Coat. Palm Bay, FL
Dec 17-18 2016 Accepted Orange Hat
Sep 30-Oct 1 2017 Earned Red Hat

ThePoet

I migrated to Charlotte from outside of Philly myself (south Jersey).  If you're anywhere near Charlotte and would like to go to the range, I'll take you to Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club.  We can shoot, get some BBQ, and there's even a Rita's Water Ice not far from the range. 

Quote from: Specialkay on June 02, 2016, 02:45:33 PM
I'm looking for a little bit of direction, and I'm hoping some of the extremely experienced individuals on here can help guide me.

I don't have a whole lot of rifle experience. I learned how to shoot in the scouts. I originally lived up north outside of Philly, and rifle ranges weren't very common. I got more comfortable with pistols, as I can find a pistol range a lot easier (and cheaper) than I can find a rifle range. Options on rifles opened up when I moved to central NC though.

Wanting to get more into rifle shooting, about a year ago I found Appleseed when I asked a few people about a good introductory rifle marksmanship course. I had a blast, and went to my second AS where I got my Rifleman patch. I volunteered to be an Orange Hat, and I believe I'm waiting on forum access before I can move forward.

But I don't really know where to go next. I'd like to do a KD event in the near future, but other than that I'm a little bit without direction on where to go. It may sound stupid to some of you guys, I get that, but I don't know what to do to improve my marksmanship skills.

I'm not much one for competitions. Never really have been. I have a stressful, competitive job, and I don't really like doing that in my time off. Although I enjoy pushing myself, and getting better. So while CMP or HighPower sound like options, I'm just not too sold on the idea.

So what do you do after you go to Appleseed (aside from the instructor part, which is really about giving back and the heritage, less on the improving your marksmanship side) to improve your shooting?

Do you just go to a range and put a few hundred rounds a month down range? Sounds fun, but I don't really know what I'm working toward. If any of that makes sense.

Heavy Cav

The Military Rifle steel plate matches at Charlotte R&P is a great way to spend a Sat. 
22LR, .223, .308, 30-06, NEXT...

navybowhunter

Two Mikes

Hi there neighbor.  I grew up in Cheltenham.

I used to shoot USPSA, Glock, and Steel Challenge pistol matches.    I lost interest after I realized that I spent a whole day to only shoot 150 rounds in 10 minutes total time.    I wasn't learning anything.  I was just running around shooting stuff really fast.  99.9% of my shooting day was doing something other than shooting. 

I've concluded that attending Appleseed Shoots is a great way to spend my shooting time.  It's filled with a lot of shooting and with a learning objective.  Every shoot I do, I learn new things and my shooting improves.  That is so awesome.  I'm going to keep doing them until I can learn and improve no more (which at this rate isn't going to happen). 

I had the crazy idea that if I hone my skills well enough with Appleseed that I could earn a CMP Distinguished Rifleman badge.  An Appleseed has typically 4 AQT's which is 4 cmp matches.   That has to be a speedy way toward achieving that goal.

So my recommendation is to do more Appleseeds. 
Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

If you remove from people all ability to protect themselves, they will insist upon a police state, for their own safety.

Specialkay

Quote from: ThePoet on June 08, 2016, 09:28:31 PM
I migrated to Charlotte from outside of Philly myself (south Jersey).  If you're anywhere near Charlotte and would like to go to the range, I'll take you to Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club.  We can shoot, get some BBQ, and there's even a Rita's Water Ice not far from the range. 

An amazing offer that I'd be a fool not to take you up on. Charlotte is only about an hour and a half drive for me, so not too bad.

How about we schedule a Saturday or a Sunday sometime this summer?

I must say, I'm very humbled by the warm and open welcoming the members here have. Fantastic!
May 2016 - Rifleman - Ramseur (216)
June 10, 2017 - KD Qualified - Ramseur (33/40)
June 11, 2017 - KD Perfect Score - Ramseur (40/40)

jmdavis

Quote from: Two Mikes on June 09, 2016, 10:20:00 PM

I had the crazy idea that if I hone my skills well enough with Appleseed that I could earn a CMP Distinguished Rifleman badge.  An Appleseed has typically 4 AQT's which is 4 cmp matches.   That has to be a speedy way toward achieving that goal.

So my recommendation is to do more Appleseeds.

An AQT is not a cmp match and in particular not a leg match. The bull on a target at a leg match is 6 MOA. And just keeping your shots in the black probably won't get you leg points. The minimum qualifying score is 455 (91%) and I have not seen leg points go for anything that low. I want to say that the cut was 474 7x for the Creedmoor Cup leg match. That's basically a 95% score on a 6 MOA bull. In other words you would need to shoot something like a 94 offhand, a 100 in sitting, a 95 in rapid prone and a 185 in slow prone at 600 yards in order to earn a 6 point leg.

Learn what you can, but if I were you I would shoot a Highpower match as soon as possible and an EIC match soon after that. You need to learn to shoot 2 MOA consistently to earn a distinguished badge.

Good luck.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner