News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed-insipred rifle event in Lapeer, May 21!

Started by Caliper, April 20, 2016, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

Fellow Michiganders, on May 21 we'll be trying out a fun Appleseed-based shoot at the Lapeer County Sportsmans Club in Lapeer, Mi. We'll be on the rifle range with 1/4-scale D targets at 25, 50, 75 and 100 yd. That way, they'll look like your typical stage 1-4 targets. The course of fire will naturally be familiar to Appleseeders at this point ;)  Not being an official event of course there will be no patches, but there will be 7th stepping and maybe some history also. Range fees per run are $5 for club members, $10 for non-members.

Of course, the cool part is that since we're on the rifle range, any safe rifle is OK to use (usually Lapeer is limited to .22LR due to using the pistol bays) so your favorite M1, M1A, AR15, SKS, Ljungman or whatever else is OK! 22LR will still work fine of course. This will be a good chance to keep your Appleseed skills fresh or to introduce a fellow shooter to Appleseed who may be on the fence about coming out for a full weekend. Tell all your friends! 

SteelThunder

Did we ever send the documents we used at Watervliet when we tried the same thing?  The idea was the same...encourage people to try out this kind of shooting and 7th step to AS.  Unfortunately, the only shooters that showed up were former Appleseeders.  Sigh...
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

D.O.M.

I'm very interested to hear how this turns out. I've been wondering how to intro people to the AS concept of shooting and instruction (and show that they do, indeed have some "rust") to drive people to sign up. This may be just the ticket...
I just ponied up my "pistol AR" money to join the club up here, so I could conceivably run an event like this "for" the club...

Rick
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Caliper

The Wolfhound

2 years ago a couple of Virginia instructors helped out at a private event.  There were several shooting options for the attendees.  What I came up with knowing that at most I would have about a half hour with any rotation through our section was what I called "A Taste of Appleseed".  With quick instruction on safe operation of the rifle, we had them shoot a Redcoat and a Rifleman's Challenge Target.  A couple of the Navy Seals that were hosting the event found it more challenging than they had expected.  Several attendees signed up for Appleseeds later on as a result.

Caliper

What was your promotions trick? I think we would get some registrations but so far have not succeeded in getting any participants who aren't already Appleseeders.

The Wolfhound

We proved it was more challenging than they had thought.  Some of the SEALs liked it as a way to get their families some rifle experience, too.  The down side was that the shooters went to Maryland for their shoots as the geography of Virginia made those closer to the area of this event.  Anyone who shot with us left with a trifold and their targets, I doubt that that hurt either.

Caliper

I think I'd get the same result if anyone came who hadn't already been to an Appleseed. Honestly, it was just myself and Critterkeeper who shot. The same two people who set it up.  :(

How did you get those SEALs to come to the promotional event? That's our hurdle currently.