News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Maksmanship Park KD AQT

Started by Bazooka Man, March 30, 2016, 11:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka Man

I am attending the KD at CMP Marksmanship Park in May and have a question I can't seem to find the answer to. I know they use the electronic targets. What I want to know is the size of the targets, scoring rings ect., distances and method of scoring, also round count for the AQT? Thanks, Chris (Aim Small Hit Small)
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleerâ„¢ Patch (220)

jmdavis

The KTS targets at CMP use the SR, SR3, and MR targets. The bullseyes of these are 13 inches, 18 inches and 40 inches. These are shot at 200, 300, and 600 yards. The targets themselves range from 4ft by 4 ft, to 6 ft by 6 ft. You can find the exact dimensions and ring sizes for the entire target in the NRA highpower Rulebook. The scoring model of the system is detailed on the Talledega website and in the CMP forums.

Traditionally a KD aqt is 40 rounds fired at 100 for standing, 200 for sitting, 300 for rapid prone and 400 for slow prone. If you are in NC, you could attend the CMP Creedmoor Games  including the Safs class and match on April 29th where you would shoot a 48 round course if fire on the SR target at 200 yards at Camp Butner.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Aim Small Hit Small on March 30, 2016, 11:01:59 PM
I am attending the KD at CMP Marksmanship Park in May and have a question I can't seem to find the answer to. I know they use the electronic targets. What I want to know is the size of the targets, scoring rings ect., distances and method of scoring, also round count for the AQT? Thanks, Chris (Aim Small Hit Small)

Good morning, Chris!

Unlike a 25m AQT which uses scoring rings, the full distance AQT can be shot two ways:  using scoring rings (counting points to 200/250) or "hits count".  In the Tennessee Valley, we generally use "hits count", which is scoring only hits in the black (4-ring on the AQT target).  A qualifying score is 40/50 hits (stage 4 is doubled).

We use "hits count" at Talladega.  The electronic system is hard coded for circular targetse (rather than our traditional silhouette).  Based on feedback and data collected during our first KD at Talladega with a line of 25 shooters (almost all instructors), we're making refinements in the course of fire & scoring to leverage these adapted targets.  Still, 40/50 hits qualifies for KD.

With your fundamentals solid and your gear sorted out, you'll do well.  Plan to shoot to the full distance of the range, but without any of the hiking to look at paper targets.  More shooting - much less walking.

We'll send out some pre-event email and a short homework assignment several weeks prior to the clinic.  Look forward to seeing you there!

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

jmdavis

Does that mean that any hit in the ~6moa bullseye is a "hit?" Or any hit on the 12 MOA target is a hit?
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Bazooka Man

Thanks to all for the info. I am more informed now and am looking forward to shooting at the CMP range even more. I have my work cut out for myself as I am going to use my M1 garand. If I can solve the problem of my rear sight elevation screw from coming loose, I might be successful.
June 15/16 2013 Rifleman (Charlotte, NC)
Feb. 7/8 2015 Rifleman (Boone, NC) (Winterseed)
April 18/19 2015 Rifleman (Ramseur, NC)
March, 2017 RBC Rifleman and KD Qualified
(Ramseur, NC) Took a Blue Hat.
April 22/23, 2017 Rifleman Requal (243)
Ramseur, NC
January 20/21, 2018 Rifleman Requal (244) Ramseur, NC
May 4/5, 2019 Rifleman Requal (249)
Ramseur, NC
May 24/25, 2019 KD Requal
Ramseur, NC
May 14, 2020 RBC Ramseur, NC Pistoleerâ„¢ Patch (220)