Author Topic: Great Lakes Region Position on Grants  (Read 333 times)

Offline DrRichP

• National Coordinator & AOC member, 2016-2018
  • Retired Master Instructor
Great Lakes Region Position on Grants
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:15:37 PM »
Hi Team Great Lakes,

Since our regional meeting, I have thought long and hard about the issue of grants, in particular those from Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club, and the NRA Foundation.

My understanding of the issue is that the grants are made to be used to benefit the local community. We were told National had no ability to ear-mark those funds for use at a state or local level, and all funds were to be deposited into the national account. Fair enough. Therefore, we stopped applying for grants because we couldn’t seem to comply with the rules of the grant. I find this unsatisfactory.

As is typical of the way I tend to do things, we are going to move forward and the national organization will need to catch up to us. The founder specifically told me I do not have to live with problems, I can correct them. Moreover, he looked me in the eye and charged me to correct the problems I find. Therefore my intention is to follow the mandate given to me by the founder. This is the way I want us to proceed.

By all means apply for grants, (Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club, he NRA Foundation, etc). In the case of Wal-Mart or Sam’s Club, this is to be done in areas where we currently run shoots. The NRA Foundation grants are to be applied for at a state level. IF we receive a grant from a Wal-Mart or Sam’s Club we will use those monies at the local level. If we want to buy eyes, ears, and slings for every child that comes to an Appleseed and that is a permissible use of grant funds, then that is what we will do.

Mechanically, the way this will work is we will make the purchase (e.g., $1,000.00 worth of slings) and submit an expense report with the receipt along with the $1,000.00 grant check. We just need to make sure the amount we spend closely approximates the amount of the grant. If we want to have special eyes made that bear the Appleseed logo, fine. Special ear protection with the Appleseed logo, fine there too. Just make sure whoever makes the eyes and ears are making products approved for shooting applications so we do not open ourselves to liability. Slings with an Appleseed logo’s are also fine. In Wisconsin, we have a group called WiForce. They print small pocket versions of the U.S. Constitution. If you want them printed with an Appleseed logo to give to attendee’s, that’s an idea.

There are different guideline for Sam’s Club grants and Wal-Mart grants. For example, you cannot use Wal-Mart grants for advertising, etc. See the Walmart Foundation Community Grant Guidelines below. Sam’s Club grants seem a little more flexible. NRA Foundation grants seem right up our alley.

No matter what, I want us all to follow the rules under which we receive a grant. There is an old saying “You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once”. This is Appleseed’s reputation on the line and we will not jeopardize it trying to play in a ‘grey area’. Let’s follow the rules.

The NRA Foundation grant deadlines for 2017 haven’t been announced yet, but I want us to go after them too. Remember, expense report, receipt, and grant check.

Our partners in Applecore will help us (not do it for us). Rascal21 has already posted how she did the Wal-Mart grant she applied for and was granted $1,000. See her post and slide show here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=47910.msg329498#msg329498  If the Applecore can help us in any way, they will.

We need to come up with creative new avenues to spread our message and having the tools in the form of funds is a necessity. I’d like to see us get aggressive here folks.

We’re going to lead the way for the rest of the organization. We have a huge mission ahead of us, and the absolute best team in Appleseed. Let’s let ‘em all suck our wake (get your minds out of the gutter).

Any questions contact myself or Rascal21.

Get Some!

DrRichP

Walmart Foundation Community Grant Guidelines

http://giving.walmart.com/apply-for-grants/local-giving-guidelines

Funds must benefit the facility’s service area: potential grantees should be nonprofit organizations with programs that benefit communities within the service area of the Walmart store, Sam’s Club or Logistics facility from which they are requesting funds.
Funding Exclusions
•   Advertising, film or video project
•   Athletic sponsorships (teams/events)
•   Capital campaigns and endowments (defined as any plans to raise funds for a significant purchase or expense, such as new construction, major renovations or to help fund normal budgetary items)
•   Contests or pageants
•   Fundraising events (walks, races, tournaments, dinners etc.)
•   In-kind donation requests, including requests for gift cards
•   Nationally-sponsored organizations: American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, American Heart Association, Children's Miracle Network and United Way
•   Memberships, including association/chamber memberships
•   Organizations that deny service, membership or other involvement on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age national origin, ancestry, citizenship, veteran, or disability status
•   Organizations or programs that do not benefit the communities within the facility’s service area
•   Organizations who apply to a large number of facilities outside of the primary area.
•   Organizations whose programming or policies may position Walmart or the Foundation in a negative light
•   Organizations whose services do not benefit the community at large
•   Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns
•   Projects that send products or people to foreign countries or on domestic travel
•   Registration fees
•   Requests made on behalf of another organization or by an unauthorized representative of the recipient organization
•   Request made solely to benefit one person or family
•   Research
•   Salaries, stipends, tips and rewards
•   Scholarships (tuition, room, board, other expenses for college/university/vocational school attendance)
•   Third-party giving, including funds that are re-allocated to fiscally sponsored organizations
•   Tickets for contests, raffles or any other activity with prizes

Sam's Club Grant Program

http://giving.walmart.com/apply-for-grants/sams-club-giving-program

At the local level, Sam's Club facilities are encouraged to support nonprofits or other causes important to their community, provided they fall within one of the Walmart Foundation's focus areas: Opportunity, Sustainability and Community.  Other local areas of focus may include Education and Youth Success.
Organizations will have the opportunity to identify whether they are working within the Sam's Club-specific giving areas when they apply online.

NRA Foundation

https://www.nrafoundation.org/grants/

More Than $267 Million Awarded in Grants Since 1990. The NRA Foundation provides financial support to eligible projects, programs and organizations through its Grant Program. Each year, volunteer committees from across the country tirelessly raise charitable dollars and generous donors make gifts that are in turn awarded as grants in support of educational and public service programs relating to the shooting sports in our communities.
The general focus of Foundation grants is to:
•   Promote, advance and encourage firearms, shooting sports and hunting safety
•   Educate individuals with respect to firearms, firearms history, participation in the shooting sports, hunting safety, and marksmanship
•   Conduct research in furtherance of improved firearms safety and marksmanship facilities and techniques

Available for:
•   Illinois – North ILN
•   Illinois – South ILN
•   Indiana
•   Kenrtucky
•   Michigan
•   Ohio
•   Wisconsin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:29:32 PM by DrRichP »
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

“What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition.”  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy