News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The CMP Will Begin Selling 1911s To The Public

Started by Dragon-Woods, November 28, 2015, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon-Woods

You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood. You know what that means? It means you're alive. It means you won. You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.

Cable___Guy

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

B.C.

Mmmmm. I want. Worn or not.......
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Dragon-Woods

Four? One is plenty. One for each hand that is!

html][/URL]
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood. You know what that means? It means you're alive. It means you won. You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.

Kosciusko

Quote from: Cable___Guy on November 29, 2015, 03:41:32 PM
I do,
How worn out do you think they will be ?
very worn

I've talked to a lot of vets, from the 60's to the 80's, when the 1911s were pulled and replaced by Beretta 92fs

All described them as loosey-goosey.    To be fair,  these pistols were made in WW II and shot, taken apart, cleaned, put back together countless times, rebuilt, and then cycled back into service for up to 40 years, 60 if it was a WW I pistol.

a couple VN vets said they actually used theirs in self-defense and were satisfied w/ the performance

expect any pistol that is all-original, worn out or not, to be diverted to CMP auction, just like the exceptional  Garands, 1903s, and M1 Carbines

IIRC, a WW II 1911 in decent shape fetches $800 and up

for that money, you can buy a Kimber and have more gun

you're going to pay to own a piece of  history, probably a lot

am I still tempted?     oh yes, most certainly.

SKSRifleman

QuoteI've talked to a lot of vets, from the 60's to the 80's, when the 1911s were pulled and replaced by Beretta 92fs

All described them as loosey-goosey.    To be fair,  these pistols were made in WW II and shot, taken apart, cleaned, put back together countless times, rebuilt, and then cycled back into service for up to 40 years, 60 if it was a WW I pistol.

I can second that. I was in the military not too long ago and we had a small lot of 1911's in the base armory that we would shoot in matches for our base marksmanship team. I believe the pistol I used was made in 1942 and was very well worn. Despite being worn, however, it was still fairly accurate and I shot the whole match with no hiccups and managed to finish 2nd place. I'm curious myself as to what condition these 1911's will be in. I imagine they will still be pretty reliable even though they may not be cosmetically appealing. I've always loved the 1911 and carry a Colt on my belt everyday.
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

jmdavis

With 1911's looseness, to a point, has a relationship to reliability. Tightness, to a point, relates to accuracy (assuming good ammo and a good barrel).

These guns will quickly get snatched up by collectors. For that purpose they are great. But there are only 100,000. That is not a large amount of 1911s.

The guns when sold will go for more than Springfield Mil Specs and Range Officers. If you want a new gun with the qualities of an original 1911A1. Buy a Milspec. If you want a good base platform for CMP EIC Pistol Competition, look at the Range Officer. Either may require some tweaking but either will be a better buy and better condition than what you will get from CMP.

If you want a collectors piece, they will be there.

For what its worth, I generally carry Glocks. Its hard to beat their reliability, price and accuracy.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

BeSwift

Once CMP works out the details, they are authorized UP TO 100K pistols, and authorized to sell UP TO 10,000 per year only.. :P   It'll likely be awhile before we know any more details... Don't get me wrong, this is better than them going to be destroyed, but the supply/demand equation will be a big factor in what we end up paying for an example.   BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Engineer shooting

The 1911s we had in the Army made good cow bells the parts were so loose.

Still want one.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Maximum Ordinate

I do,

Significantly.  I remember cleaning 1911s for turn-in/exchange for new Berettas.  "Serviceable" is a broad term.  My Magic 8 Ball says most of what the CMP gets will be rack grade, some will be field grade, a few will be service grade.  Remember the old adage:  Service grade Garands are built, not found.  I expect the 1911s to be the same.  They'll swap parts to increase the number of SG pistols.

I'm not expecting an all night camp-out at Anniston at least for a year.  It'll take them a little while to train up & get equipped.  Then they strip the pistols, repair, swap parts, grade, test fire, and document before releasing for sale.  Some of the really ragged ones will probably get refinished and released like the M1 Carbines.

The CMP auction site will be the place to find most of the really nice 1911s, especially if they are early serial numbers.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Leadslinger66

Quote from: Kosciusko on November 30, 2015, 01:07:45 PM
I do,
very worn

To be fair,  these pistols were made in WW II and shot, taken apart, cleaned, put back together countless times, rebuilt, and then cycled back into service for up to 40 years, 60 if it was a WW I pistol.

am I still tempted?     oh yes, most certainly.

Tempted? Yes. Drooling? Most certainly.
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

azmule

Not to be the cynic in the room, but the wording of this section doesn't exactly fill me with hope...

Quote(h) AUTHORIZED TRANSFERS.â€"(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Secretary may transfer to the corporation, in accordance with the procedure prescribed in this subchapter,

I think we're all familiar with the difference between the government use of  "may" vs. "shall" when it comes to citizens and firearms.  Yeah, it would be nice, but I'm thinking it's far more likely that somebody just pulled a fast one to get what they want in the NDAA.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

MostlyHarmless

I'm heading to Anniston in three days for the Garand Advanced Maintenance Class.  :)) I will share any rumours that I hear while I'm down there....
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

nyrasgt

Colleagues,

While we wait for the "U.S. Property" 1911s to become available (would guess 2017 @ earliest) don't forget that, for the economical shooters and youth on your list,
the CMP is STILL selling Daisy 853s air rifles, single-pump .177 models including decent, plastic peep sights, slings, and, if you ask nicely, a package of the 5-round rubber
clips included with the 853C models.  Price is $100 (plus $8.95 shipping) delivered to your home - unless you live in the five boroughs of NYC.  Pellets are the only ammunition still available cheaply and can also be purchased from CMP and delivered direct to you - no "need an FFL" requirement.

Excelsior and merry/happy, etc.,
nyrasgt/MadMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

maxwell

Quote from: nyrasgt on December 04, 2015, 08:12:29 PM
the CMP is STILL selling Daisy 853s air rifles, single-pump .177 models including decent, plastic peep sights, slings, and, if you ask nicely, a package of the 5-round rubber
clips included with the 853C models.  Price is $100 (plus $8.95 shipping) delivered to your home

The website makes it sound like you need to be some part of a formal kids' program to purchase these http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/air-rifles/sporter-air-rifles/. Is that correct, or can anyone order them? (Sorry this is off-topic, but I've wondered…and I'm afraid I won't be able to justify one of the 1911s, but I'm eager to see them).

Cable___Guy

MostlyHarmless

Did the rumor mill turn up anything ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

TaosGlock

Hopefully we can have an option to choose the year. I would love to have a 43' to match my M1 Garand! O0
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

azmule

Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

MostlyHarmless

Quote from: Cable___Guy on December 17, 2015, 09:51:37 AM
MostlyHarmless

Did the rumor mill turn up anything ?

Since you asked, yes it did.

The Advanced Maintenance Class is AWESOME. If you ever get the chance, do it.

The class started on fri morning when Mark Johnson, COO of CMP welcomed us all and gave us an overview of the goings on and future plans for CMP. Some interesting stuff (and another good reminder not to believe much of what you read on gun blogs.... ???).

As for 1911s-

YES- the bill is now law. At the discretion of the secretary of the Army, the Army MAY transfer .45acp M1911s to the CMP. And what that means is that only now can the process necessary to do that be considered and created. And that is a long, complicated process. Mark fleshed out some details for what will have to happen before the first pistol could be received from the Army. Among other things, it will be entirely new facilities with an entirely new staff. CMP has never transferred a pistol- and they are not going to until they are absolutely ready. And of course they won't receive the first pistols from the Army until the Army is absolutely convinced that CMP is ready.

Mark did not seem interested at all in hazarding any kind of a guess at what a realistic time frame might be for pistols to become available. If it happens, it will happen when it happens. But from what he outlined, it seemed readily apparent that if everything went as well as could be hoped, it could not take less than several years. End of the decade, perhaps? Maybe longer?

If it happens at all. The law states that the Secretary of the Army has the option of transferring 1911s. But if the Secretary doesn't want to, nothing happens. SoA is a post that changes regularly. Sooner or later, some SoA someday will hopefully decide to let it happen. Could take two years, could take twelve. If the CMP is then ready with their I's crossed and T's dotted, then maybe the process can start. But it is not going to happen in time for Christmas.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"

Kosciusko

from wikipedia:

"The Secretary of the Army is nominated by the President and confirmed by the U.S. Senate."

what D senator  will vote for a nominee who indicates he will release 1911s to the public, NICs check be damned.    No nominee will get thru the process w/o being grilled on this.     They will have snowball fights in hell before you see a CMP 1911 for sale.

you want a .45 ACP pistol for Christmas?, try this one:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411555758

S&W M&P, 3 mags, LEO trade-in, $359 and free shipping

MostlyHarmless

Quote from: Kosciusko on December 21, 2015, 01:13:20 PM
what D senator  will vote for a nominee who indicates he will release 1911s to the public, NICs check be damned.    No nominee will get thru the process w/o being grilled on this.     They will have snowball fights in hell before you see a CMP 1911 for sale.

Could be. But remember, this was signed into law by a D president.

To my knowledge, every senator on the hill comes from a state where a citizen (with varying levels of state related hassles) can already purchase a 1911. CMP 1911s would change nothing with this regard. As Mr Johnson made it clear, buying a pistol through CMP will be more difficult than buying one from your local gun shop. Not only will you be subject to every federal, state, and local regulation already in place, but you will also have to pass CMP's background check, and provide proof of meeting the affiliated club membership and training requirements. All transfers will be through a local FFL as per federal regulation- there will be no Fedexed pistols on doorstops they way they do with Garands.

Sure, some senator could bother with some political grandstanding- that could always happen. But honestly the Army has enough challenges in the near and mid future that the fate of a few thousand pistols is likely not to rate terribly high to a potential incoming secretary. Personally I think the law getting signed was a more unlikely hurdle. But this topic brings us awfully close to modern politics....

nyrasgt

1.   To answer earlier Daisy 853 question, can be bought by ANYONE who has the $100 + $8.95 shipping...and Daisy has video walking users through changing seals, which are only wear parts...comes with decent, usable tgt sights w. interchangeable front apertures AND a (loop) sling.
      Hint:  if you ask politely, CMP will include 4-5  five-round rubber magazines that will replace the single-shot attachment - still have to pump for ea shot.

2.  Re "surplus" 1911s, will definitely take a while to get brand, new system up...and CMP will have to become/acquire an FFL, as handguns will, of necessity, have to be sent from FFL to FFL to satisfy the requirements of the BATF paperwork trail...

Suspect, with limitations to annual sale, CMP may use same system they used for M1Cs and M1Ds, which they also had in limited supply to sell per year about ten years ago.
    Said system was a lottery that they had interested parties register into, and then pulled names "out of the hat" each year.  System worked, and I have
   the M1D complete with M84 scope and ALL accessories as proof.

3.  Besides the Daisy air rifles, another item that can be purchased now, in preparation for the eventual arrival of the 1911s:  CMP is currently selling 7-round 1911 magazines @ $8 each plus shipping - limit of 10. Remember the snooze proverb...

Excelsior,
madMark/nyrasgt

PS  Still could find a few embroidered, long-sleeved, button-down, denim shirts...
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

smoakingun

The Army was not the only service to field 1911s
I was still carrying one in the Navy in 1995. Did the bill not cover Navy 1911s?
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

eaglescouter

Quote from: smoakingun on January 05, 2016, 11:38:09 PM
The Army was not the only service to field 1911s
I was still carrying one in the Navy in 1995. Did the bill not cover Navy 1911s?

If I remember correctly, all branches of the U.S. Military transfer their surplus firearms to the Army.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

jmdavis

Navy Arms go to Crane. Thousands of M1's were destroyed by Crane. They are not required to transfer them to the Army or the CMP.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Maximum Ordinate

Here ya go, fellas...

Rack grade pistols starting at $1000.00 with prices going up from there.  No date projected for the pistols to be transfer from the Army.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/01/19/a-cmp-1911-update-from-cmp-chief-operating-officer-mark-johnson/

"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Kosciusko

At those prices.   go for a Kimber Custom II and a bunch of Wilson mags.    You'll still have money left over for practice ammo.