News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

IIT moving to Texas. ????

Started by T-Bolt, February 28, 2010, 03:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bolt

I am an IIT from central Indiana looking to move to Texas but I have some questions that maybe someone can help me with. On my current property I have a shooting range capable of 50 riflemen each with a 4' lane. :--- In Texas I want a property that I can have a range on. The questions is what are the laws involving a range on private land. Any information on Texas would be helpful.

didactic

Some counties have restrictions about ranges on small parcels.  It applies to parcels less than ten acres, IIRC.

But don't trust my memory!  Check with the county clerk or a lawyer in the county you're looking at, before you sign your name and plunk down your bucks.

And welcome!  Any idea where you'll settle?
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

T-Bolt

We are looking north of Dallas, but nothing has been decided yet.

hawkhavn

T-Bolt,

If you're looking at Texas, PM Scout, he can be of great assistance with all things in the Lone Star state.

Hawkhavn

p.s. Sure hate to lose a Hoosier but Texas would be a great state to go to.
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

spitstickler

Hey T-Bolt,

Welcome to Texas! There are several IITs in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Unfortunately I live in the suburbs so I don't really know much about having a range on private land. Like others mentioned, Scout would definitely be a good resource to talk to because he does have a range on his land, as well as the gentleman who hosts the college station events. There may a difference between doing something commercially, vs non-profit (appleseed) or just for personal use.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

starfox

T-Bolt,

We've been looking into it, and it's really a question of land value and local restrictions.  As mentioned, Scout is probably a good resource to figure out local restrictions.  If you're thinking of being anywhere within spitting distance of a municipality or city ordinance, there will probably be some hassle involved.

As spitstickler mentioned, we have a pretty good cadre of IITs in the DFW area, so PM'ing any one of us should get you started on the right track.  We're actively looking for a DAR or host range in the DFW area. 

DFW hungers for Appleseed, we just need the range to meet the need!!
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Scout

SOunds like a good idea Starfox. Find him a place in the DFW area so he can set up the DFW DAR for our folks there. ;) Bolt, I got yourt PM and I am willing to help you in any way I can. I live way out from any cities or even any townships. I have the range here on one of the medium size tracks we have of two hundred acres.

That gives me the ability to have actual distance of 700 meters and also keeps me a good distance away from neighbors. About 500 meters from anyone else. 
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

vic303

Collin Co is fairly restrictive-IIRC, you must have more than 10 acres for 22lr, and more than that (can't recall how much) for centerfire.  Plus land values & property taxes are high in Collin Co.