News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL Oct. 31-Nov. 1, 2015

Started by 9mm4545, November 02, 2015, 12:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

I will get this started by saying what a great event this was. Dry weather, not too hot, wonderful group of eager students, experienced instructors, excellent support help, and a host range that rocks. Both days had a nearly full shooting line and everyone made improvements, some dramatically so. I should have some photos and more up in a day or so but for now, all I can say is wow and I want to do it again! Let the fun begin!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Minutemom

I had so much fun at this shoot - thank you to all the shooters on the line who made this weekend so awesome!!  Everyone had such good and teachable attitudes, which contributed to the dramatic improvements we witnessed.  I so love to see families together at an Appleseed, and we had quite a few this weekend.  One of the highlights was little 10 year old Lucy, cartwheeling down to the target line - it made me smile every time  :).  What a joy she was to have on the line.  I really enjoyed working with the father and son teams, and everyone who gave up their weekend to learn a little heritage.

Congratulations to Kevin and Wesley for earning the patch and the associated bragging rights.  Persistence and hard work paid off in spades!!  There were so many who were literally knocking at the door - practice your dry fire diligently and you will get there for sure.  Also to our young patriots - Lucy, Brandon, Jacob, Austin, and Ben - you give me hope for the future of our country.  Never give up the patience and persistence you displayed this weekend.  Especially Austin, who went through... how many malfunctioning rifles?   :slap:

As always, I got as much or more out of this weekend than the shooters.  I learned a lot, and I am a better person for knowing all of you.  Thank you for listening so intently and respectfully to my presentation of the Second Strike.  It was my first time presenting it, and I was way nervous about it on Saturday morning.  By that afternoon, it just felt like telling a great story to a bunch of old friends, and that, my friends, is how it is supposed to be  ;).

I hope to see all of you on the line again!!!!

Chris
aka Minutemom
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

B.C.

Good times indeed friends! Another great event staffed by some of the finest individuals you'll find anywhere. Congratulations to our two newest riflemen! Enjoy some pictures below......
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Minutemom

Awesome pics mecreos!!  Thank you!
Story time with Uncle Glenn - hahahahahahaha!!!   I love that - look out Mr. Rogers  ;D
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Wes

Wes here with a big thank you to all the instructors at the Gainesville event. Austin and I enjoyed every minute of it (except for Austin's rifle malfunctions but thanks to Bruce and Smoake for the great help with that). We had a blast and are looking forward to the next one.  Austin is determined to earn that patch.
What a great day-- earned the patch, got to shoot Smoake's M1 Garand (awesome) and received a great book (which I have already started by the way).  Only way it could have been better would have been for Austin to have earned his.  But hey, it gives him something to strive for at the next event.
Want to send a special thanks to Janet for not giving up on us and for the homemade bright pink cheek rest which I think sealed the deal.  My wife got a good laugh out of that but the patch was worth it.😊
Last,  I think it is so admirable that you folks volunteer your time, energy and knowledge to teach others marksmanship skills and even more importantly, to teach the history of the great sacrifices our forebears made so that we have the freedom to enjoy and exercise those rights to this day.
Hope to see all of you again.

rambo granny

Thanks everyone for being awesome team. ^:)^
Wes, thanks for letting us hear from you and I am really pumped you are already enjoying the book.
You are our kind of good folk.
Remember DRY PRACTICE! Perfect practice yields awesome results and the positions get much easier on the ol bods with repetition :))
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

300blackoutguy

Hi all,
Had an absolute blast at this shot. (pun intended) My 2nd attendance of Appleseed. Thanks to all the instructors for their patience. Most thanks from me go to Smoke for all the equipment "fixing" he did to get the rifle on target. I am alas, another story........
Kudos to Kevin for his patching this round! (In spite of the help from the neighbor :wb:)
The 3rd time is the charm they say and in the interim I will put the suggestion on dry firing and carry my pen in perfect practice.
Great time was had by me in spite of not leaving with the desired prize.
"I shall return!"
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend upon the support of Paul."

Minutemom

Awesome, 300blackoutguy - I will hold you to that, and I BETTER see you on the line again  ;)
I had fun working with you!  (You gave yourself away with the help from your neighbor comment, lol)

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata