News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC Rifleman Boot Camp Oct. 4-9, 2015

Started by DrJohn, October 11, 2015, 09:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

A Rifleman Boot Camp always begins with a room full of strangers, some excitement, apprehension, and lots of uncertainty. Who are all these people, what is going to happen over the next six days, what is the measure of these instructors, and in our particular case, is this "storm of 1,000 years" going to have a very bad effect on the ultimate outcome? After introductions all the way around, we got started, hardly expecting at the end we would have developed friendship, mutual trust and respect, our marksmanship skills would have improved far more than we could have reasonably expected, and that we would have memories that we would favorably recall long into the future. Last, but most important, in this instructor's opinion, we would have a fresh appreciation for the concept of Liberty and for the heroic and steep price paid by our illustrious ancestors, to live in freedom.

We began in the usual way, with Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, and the standard items of any Appleseed event. Later in the morning, we heard the Story of April 19, 1775, a story most of our students had never heard before and one that inspired more than a little bit of wonder and admiration. Had ordinary Americans really done all that? Why have we not been told this before? And how does it relate to us today?

After we shot our first Hits Count! target Sunday after lunch (the range rules limit Sunday shooting until after noon), it was obvious we had much work to do. There rest of Day One was spent in intensive and fairly rigid practice, at the end of which fatigue had set in to the point that it was obvious an AQT would not be productive. Nor would a Hits Count! target indicate more than that more practice was needed. However, it was extremely gratifying that our students had copied the RBC syllabus and had studied it diligently before they came to the event, because their appreciation of such things as I-M-C was rather advanced. But the basic shooting skills needed work.

Day Two began with the standard classroom material, including an I-M-C quiz that became routine every morning. The various I-M-C questions proved not such a challenge, and this was so for the entire week. The second day we heard a classroom presentation on how to tell the Story of April 19, 1775. This emphasized the importance of emotional, rather than intellectual, connection to our listeners, and the three themes of Choices, Performance, and One Person Can Make a Difference. We the went back to work of the firing line, where the Hits Count! target indicated improvement over the previous morning. And that afternoon's Hits Count! was even more improved. But not to the point that either the students or the instructors were satisfied. Fatigue and frustration were taking their toll. That evening the instructors brainstormed and discussed the needs and expectations of each student, and our very experienced instructors came up with a plan for the remainder of the week. We would slow the pace so as to allow more modest, but steady, improvement, and spend much more intensive time with individual students, simplifying the skills we wished to impart, and allowing the process to unfold at its own pace. Polonius took over Line Boss on the third day and showed a remarkable ability to improvise drills, provide for courses of fire to accommodate individual needs, and devise fun contests to break the monotony and build skill at the same time by encouraging friendly competition. Tim M. achieved Rifleman on Day Three with a score of 227, and Joe M. with a 212. Morpheus, one of our instructors, was able to re-qualify with a bolt action .22 on Day Three. The evening of Day Three was a special event, as one of the country's most respected authorities on the Garand rifle, Steve H., gave a most enlightening presentation on the "Care and Feeding of the Garand Rifle".

Day Four began with the usual classroom work and the customary I-M-C quiz, which by now was a piece of cake. Then out to the range for more drills and individual work, concentrating on Natural Point of Aim and the other fundamentals. Much work was done continuing Carding the Sights, and we had a very productive Ball and Dummy Drill as well. After lunch, Engineer Shooting gave an excellent presentation on Actual Distance shooting, then those who wished brought their centerfire rifles to the 25 meter range for zeroing. The rest of us continued individual work, basic drills, working with equipment issues, and friendly competitions to build skill and exploit the great enjoyment of rifle marksmanship. At the end of Day Four it was obvious that the AQT scores were steadily increasing, but we still had generated only two new Riflemen. But we had been discussing the concept of Liberty continuously, and in this instructor's opinion, had achieved far more than the physical skill of shooting a rifle well. At the end of Day Four, all the students and instructors went to a nearby restaurant where we shared food and fellowship for an extended period, just enjoying each others' companionship. Thank you, Lucky Lori, for a most excellent suggestion. This instructor does not know who our gracious benefactor was, but a kind and generous soul treated us all. Many thanks.

Day Five, and the syllabus indicated this was Actual Distance Day. Not all of us were ready for this however, and in keeping with the Appleseed dictum to have the students set the pace of instruction (rather than insisting on some pre-determined course which may or may not be satisfactory), most of us continued on the 25 meter range, emphasizing individual work, a modest pace, and enjoyable contests. Improvement continued apace as Al R. qualified Rifleman with a score of 215, than went up to the KD range where Engineer Shooting offered and encouraged all to use their .22 at the 100 yard AQT. Al then qualified again, this time at 100 yards with a score of 165. Sheri, who had qualified Rifleman with a .22 at a previous Appleseed, qualified at 25 meters again, but with a centerfire (a borrowed .223 AR platform) with a score of 213. John R., who had shot a 204 on the pervious day, shot a 203 this day, as did Gib H., who also scored 203. Lucky Lori continued to work intensively with David and Georgia, and Georgia became able to hit a golf ball on a string consistently at 25 meters (bringing a huge smile of satisfaction every time) before going off to fire the rest of the prepared magazine on traditional squares targets. Her husband David was able to score a 197 on the AQT, a great improvement over his ability at the beginning of the week and an achievement with which he was well satisfied. As a lagniappe (for those not familiar with New Orleans, a small and unexpected gift), the students were introduced to Dr. Joseph Warren during lunch, both his heroic death the Bunker Hill and some of his more memorable quotations. Morpheus honored us at the end of Day Five with his passionate and moving rendition of the immortal Patrick Henry speech of March 23, 1775, the "Give me Liberty or give me death!" speech.

Day Six dawned, the bittersweet day, the day we end the event, the day we either do or do not fulfill the expectations we had when we came, apparently so long ago. In this instructor's opinion, each and every student achieved a great deal, independent of any score on the AQT targets. And we all became far more familiar with the precious jewel of Liberty than we had been when we arrived. But I digress. Instead of the traditional mock Appleseed, we decided to give as many chances as desired to those who still wanted to win a Rifleman patch. And for those who elected to remain on the 25 meter line, after the usual warm-up and sighter groups and needed drills and individual work, we shot more AQT targets. John R. qualified Rifleman handily with a score of 222. Sheri qualified at Actual Distance, using a borrowed .223 rifle, with 36 hits out of 38 shot (she mis-prepared one magazine with only six cartridges), and this instructor, thanks to the gracious offer of Engineer Shooting and the two students who happened to be on the KD range at the time, Joe M. and Tim M., re-qualified at Actual Distance. Special thanks to Will "Laertes" S., who came as a student but graciously acted as the fine Blue Hat that he is, by helping set up the range beforehand, doing anything and everything he could to expedite the event, by re-qualifying several times during the event, acting as Range Safety Officer, and by shooting that beautiful and vintage Garand 30-06 rifle. Thanks to all for making this such a special event. God bless you all, and may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

LibertysGirl

Morpheus giving the Patrick Henry speak that rocked everyone's world

LibertysGirl

LibertysGirl

Views form the KD range

LibertysGirl

Sheri getting KD patch

LibertysGirl

Patches galore for our awesome group

LibertysGirl

LibertysGirl

Joe and Tim collecting those Rifleman patches early on in the week

LibertysGirl

Thank you each and every student for your friendship and great memories.  Thank you to each instructor for imparting your knowledge and skill on me.
Joe, thanks for giving me the gift of firing your beautiful 308, it was a highlight!
Ken, your patients and willingness to help on the KD line was super appreciated.  That rocker will look good mounted on my jacket.
Steve, as always you are the best friend I could ask for and thank you for making sure I had what I needed to shoot this week, you rock my friend!

If I can ever do anything for any of you, please do not hesitate to ask.  I am Libertysgirl on the forum or can be reached via email at LibertysGirlas@gmail.com

It was an amazing week, thank you all for that!

LibertysGirl

Post on behalf of John AKA HighWindingTrail

Morning on the range

Home Sweet home

Steve H shooting Grand with Tracers

LibertysGirl

Finally when it all comes together!!

Bonus full on...

LibertysGirl

woman hugs...
are the best...

LibertysGirl

way to end...
an Appleseed Rifleman's Boot Camp!

Engineer shooting

Quote from: LibertysGirl on October 12, 2015, 11:02:52 PM

way to end...
an Appleseed Rifleman's Boot Camp!

How did they not fall off the range?
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther