News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, GA 24-25 October 2015

Started by brianf31, October 26, 2015, 01:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club hosted a very enjoyable 2-day Appleseed shoot on this beautiful fall weekend. As always, the club was very gracious and accommodating. We are always grateful for such wonderful partners in the Appleseed mission.
10 shooters attended Saturday, and you couldn't ask for a more attentive group. We heard the history of the events surrounding Paul Revere's ride and the battles of Lexington and Concord on April 19th, 1775.

Instruction on steady hold factors, six steps of the shot, natural point of aim (NPOA) and rifleman's cadence was given. Each lesson was followed with practice on the ol' black squares. Shooters were quickly rewarded with ever-shrinking group sizes. By mid-afternoon, many were getting the majority of shots in the black. Excellent!
In preparation for the AQT, we shot a few drills to drive home the importance of NPOA and smooth magazine changes. We were able to shoot two AQTs Saturday afternoon with some impressive scores to show that the students learned what was taught.

Congratulations to Kyle T on earning his rifleman's patch on his first time at an Appleseed! And congrats to Andrew T, as well, for requalifying. You fellows certainly know what you are about.

Sunday was overcast and in the 70s/80s, which made for perfect shooting weather. 8 students returned to practice the only sport endorsed by the Founders. After shooting an AQT and reviewing marksmanship fundamentals, we ran a few drills to work on specific problems areas. The lessons were immediately applied to another AQT before noon.

After hearing the stories of Dangerous Old Men during lunch, we returned to the firing line to put newly found skills into practice. After performing Ball and Dummy drill, this shoot turned into Fun With Rifles.

For a twist, we paired the shooters into 2-man teams to have a little friendly competition in the Team Redcoat drill.  Each team shot a single redcoat target with 5 rounds per shooter. A hit on the 100 yard target counted as one point, a hit on the 200 yard target counted as two, and so on. But the contest required both marksmanship and strategy, where the points on a 400 yard target, for example, only counted if you had at least one hit on the 300 yard target. It was a great drill for pairing shooters at different skill levels. Kyle and Abby teamed up to win the oval RWVA patches. Way to go guys!

After presentation of Full Distance shooting, we moved back to the 100 yard line. After sighters and applying Inches Minutes and Clicks to get on target, shooters took turns at the steel targets. Several shooters went 5 for 5 on 4 MOA targets and all got several hits each to prove that what is taught at 25 meters works at longer ranges.

To drive this home, we marched over to the 200 yard line to hit a 5 MOA steel target with centerfire rifles. Many did just as well at 200 yards as they did at 25 meters. Shooters were rewarded with the satisfying sound of ringing steel. It's always cool to see the target swing before the sound comes back, isn't it? If you think that's fun, you just have to make it to the next Known Distance shoot: you can do the same at 500 yards.

This was an immensely gratifying shoot for the entire instructor cadre. Judging by the mile-wide smiles on the shooter's faces, I think they enjoyed it, too.

Kyle and Andrew, it was great to see you shoot the rifleman's score. Keep up the good shooting.

Ann Marie, we were so glad to have you out again. It's always a pleasure to shoot with you. Al, you shot well and we'll be glad to have you back any time.

Will and Chris, you are a formidable brother team. My steel targets have a few more dents to prove it. Keep up the perfect practice.

Ian and Ben, it's always great to have father-son teams shooting together. That's part of what Appleseed is about. You guys are making great progress.

Kevin, it was good to have you on the line, brother. You did quite well on those little black squares. With a little practice, that rifleman's patch will be yours.

Last, but certainly not least: Abby, you are a fine young lady. You made great improvement over the weekend. I hope to see you again with your whole family on the line. Thanks so much for bringing her out, Bobby - and thanks for your help cleaning up!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

brianf31

Post pics if you have them.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

brianf31

― Joseph Warren

MountainDrew

I would like to thank all the instructors as well as Marion co gun range for having us. The weather was perfect, the stories were inspiring, and by the end of the weekend the whole group had become much better shooters, if not better Americans.
I was especially surprised at how well our skills at 25 meters/yards transferred to 100 & 200 yards. Glad we were able to shoot out that far. There was not one shooter in our group who could not reach out and ring the steel out to 200 yards. Speaks volumes about the kind instruction we received this weekend.

Kyle Turner

Marion Road Gun Club has hosted Appleseed events for a few years now and as the current club president I thought I should experience first hand what I've heard and read about the program.  I've been shooting since I was 5 years old.  In high school and college I competed in three position small bore rifle in Area 6 (Georgia).  I didn't think there would be much that I could learn from attending an Appleseed event but I read the recommended preparations list and I decided to approach the program with an open mind and "a teachable attitude."  At 50 years of age, that last bit of preparation was a stretch, but I was going to give it my best effort.

The instruction provided was simply outstanding.  You are given the basics to begin and after you've grasped those the instructors build upon that knowledge with more advanced techniques.  If you can put into practice the lessons taught, your shot groups will absolutely tighten up over the two day training.  I think I improved my accuracy and speed and the review of marksmanship fundamentals was a great refresher on things I'd long ago taken for granted and fallen out of practice using.  This course will absolutely build your confidence and take you from "rifle owner" to "rifleman."

I was especially lucky to be on the line next to a new ten year old shooter who was just learning the basic of rifelry.  Diminutive in stature but formidable in spirit, young Abby's skill with a rifle improved markedly by the time we were told of the "team" shoot.  I was not surprised to see a little apprehension on her face (having been ten myself once) at the prospect of "competing" in a discipline that she just learned.  I honestly thought she would bow out but her dad Bobby encouraged her to shoot and I told her during our strategy discussion that at worst we'll have fun shooting but I thought she'd do just fine.  All she needed to do was hit the redcoat at the top one time in her five shots.  I told her I'd spot for her and help her with any adjustments if she needed them.

When the command to fire was given and her first shot struck the absolute center of the redcoat target I could barely contain myself!  I doubt I've ever been so excited to see a new shooter perform like that, and under pressure!  When she hit the next smaller redcoat target my hopes of winning this little competition grew.  (Side note:  I really, really, really like winning)  Abby's performance freed me up to shoot at the most difficult targets (I missed a few shots myself) but we finished with one hit on each including Morgan's Shingle.  While cruising the target line I got a glimpse of the other teams' targets.  Walking back to the firing line I whispered to my accidental team mate that I thought we had a good chance of winning and believe me, the grin on her face was worth a million dollars!

The history lessons and narrative of the battles of Lexington and Concord were inspirational. It's sad to say but in this day and age a lot of folks need reminding of who they are descended from and why we enjoy the freedoms often taken for granted. 

Increase your skill and proficiency with a rifle.  Enjoy the history lessons and fellowship with other Americans and appreciate the time and efforts of these Appleseed volunteers!  If you supply the teachable attitude they will make you into a rifleman!  The best part of the two day event for me wasn't being awarded a rifleman's patch.  The best part of the event for me came right at the end of the second day.  When Abby asked that the Appleseed instructors stand with her for a group photo and then ran up to me asked me if I'd stand with them, it took about an hour for the lump to move down from my throat.  I'd never been so happy to have my picture taken. 

DO335ACE

I enjoyed the entire weekend at Appleseed, but I believe the attached picture wraps up my favorite moment.  My 13 year old stepson applying his Rifleman's skills, plinking targets at 100 yards with a beautiful AR-15!

I also heard the best quote ever at this Appleseed about shooting.  "What if you're walking in a quaint field, and you see a deer.  Better yet, you're in that quaint field and Zombies emerge from the grass..."  Dr. Jon speaking about the hasty sling.

Thanks to all the Appleseed instructors for their fervor in teaching us this native martial art.

Kinkade71

This was a great experience and I look forward to doing it again in the future. Thanks to all the instructors for their patience and willingness to teach the right skills. It was said at the beginning that practice is no good unless it is perfect practice. We definitely have the tools to do such now.

freedomzxcv

Kyle, thank you for your post. It's one of the best endorsements of the program I've ever read. It makes me even more proud to volunteer my time when someone with the skills that you possess gives that sort of review. You are a great teacher in your own right. I was just as fascinated as the kids were by your masterful demonstration of the flintlock and would love to see it again another Sunday afternoon.

Abby and Ben, enthusiastic and attentive youngsters are the main reason I love spending my spare weekends at shoots. I hope you both got as much from attending the shoot as I did.

Ian and Chris, with a little perfect practice you both should have patches in hand at the next event.

Andrew, congratulations and keep bringing unicorns with you. I can't wait for the next thing to come out of one of your rifle bags.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Roswell

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

MC

Absolutely perfect weather for shooting, and very enthusiastic group of students and instructors. I am inspired each and every time by all!
"If those in charge of our society - politicians, corporate executives, and owners of press and television - can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves." -Howard Zinn

boltin barefoot

The million dollar smile:

boltin barefoot

Young Patriot Ben!

boltin barefoot

Kyle what a pleasure to meet you and an honor to have you on the line.  Thanks for your hospitality!

Al

Many thanks to the instructors and participants at the event. It was a great day of learning, and I really hate that I had to miss Sunday. The shoot was very well run, and the participants are a great bunch of folks.