News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: MGGOA, Dublin, GA 26-27SEP15

Started by Guardian, September 29, 2015, 12:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian

What an OUTSTANDING weekend!

The weather forecast for the days leading up to the event called for rain. The forecast for the hours of the event was uncertain, even through the weekend. It kept changing. Friday afternoon, I got the same question from several folks: "is the mud as bad as it was in April?" Fortunately, MGGOA has established grass on the lower end of the 300 yard range and the mud was no longer an issue. THANK YOU MGGOA for expending the resources to make this change on our behalf (Appleseeders are the only ones that really use this area).

Saturday began with an introduction of the staff, expectations, agenda, and safety protocol. Following that, we hit the line! Shooters engaged their first redcoat target of the weekend to allow shooters a benchmark for later comparison. Then, they were doused with the fire hose of information! They absorbed all that they could, and the improvement was readily apparent. Groups were rapidly shrinking and the Instructors were as exuberant as the shooters! We managed to squeeze in one AQT. Though no riflemen scores were observed, the shooters were now familiar with the difficulty of it. We closed the day with another redcoat target and most, if not all, had improved their effective range (smallest target with three hits) considerably! The Instructors were quite impressed with the safety consciousness exhibited by the shooters throughout the day. 

While the shooting was great, what the Instructors really wanted the shooters to hear the story of April 19, 1775; and hear it they did! We heard how the Redcoats tried to be sneaky, but failed miserably; how they continued on even though their mission was obviously known; that there were many more involved in dispersing the news than just Paul Revere, the unfortunate separation of eight colonist father/son pairs by death in Lexington with little provocation; how Concord was pillaged prior to the Militia gaining the upper hand; and the fierce fighting that erupted during the Regulars' return to Boston. During the benediction, we noted that one person can make a difference and pondered whether Liberty would die on our watch.

Sunday, we reviewed most of the information presented Saturday and got to work polishing skills. We did an AQT to figure out what specific areas needed work and then focused on improving those skills. By day's end and after four AQTs, two RIFLEMEN were made apparent! Congrats to William and A.J.! The absent minded Shoot Boss forgot to write the scores down, but I believe they were 235 and 216, respectively. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Note, William scored higher, but AJ did it with a centerfire!

We then stepped back to 100 yards, after learning a bit about known distance (KD) shooting! Three strings were fired. The first was to illustrate trajectory, by seeing the impacts without sight adjustments. The second and third strings were fired following sight adjustments to show IMC does work, we don't have to just guess and turn the knobs.

Each of the Volunteers presented a couple of favorite Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children stories. The individuals presented included David Lamson, "Mother" Ruth Batherick, Hezekiah Wyman, Nancy Hart, Elizabeth Zane, Samuel Whittemore, Daniel Morgan, Prudence Cummings Wright, and John Laurens. DrJohn explained what Liberty meant to the Founding Generation, both in definition and as an ideal, through analysis of their own statements.

I can't thank the shooters enough for their attention to safety this weekend! This is, by far, the safest group I have worked with. I should also note that the majority of the shooters were first time attendees!

The improvement seen throughout the weekend was due to the persistence each of you demonstrated! I sincerely appreciate your attentiveness throughout the weekend, but even more so, I thank you for being engaged! This event was particularly special to me because of the level of engagement by each of you.

Neil, equipment difficulties are typical at an Appleseed, particularly a first event. You pushed through it, figured out the problem, and remained focused. We all know how frustrating those types of problems can be, but I'm especially famous for them. Good job keeping your goal in mind and learning all you could in spite of the difficulties.

Darlene, I wish all first timers were as open to a new concept as you were! We were all astounded at your first group, and you continued to improve from there with each string! Stick with it and it will become second nature in no time.

Andy and David, focus on firing each shot by the numbers and committing those positions to muscle memory. Both of you are excellent shooters. Riflemen persist!

Dru and Anice, the banter was fun. Both of you make the guys cringe when they see your groups! "Shoot like a girl, if you can!" Dry firing will help you realize find what NPOA truly is. I know firearms are frowned upon in a school environment; however, a dummy rifle can accomplish the same goal without exciting others.

Matt, thanks for hosting us! MGGOA is one of, if not the best venues in GA, in my opinion. Y'all are most accommodating, on top of that. You were shooting well and just need to focus on those minor glitches that are difficult for Instructors to catch. You obviously know the fundamentals, you're down to the fine tuning.

Patrick, the luck of the frog didn't quite get you to your goal, but dry firing by the numbers will! You are a better shooter than you give yourself credit for. You had a lot of new info to decipher this time. Go back through the handout as a reminder of the details and you'll be where you expect yourself to be in no time.

GB, you are an excellent shooter! The speed comes with familiarity. Don't sacrifice good for speed. Practice to make good faster.

Mike, it's always good to have you with us! You're always inquisitive and hard working. Both are appreciated! Focus on you sling positioning during dry firing to become familiar with it. Also work on refining the positions to suit your needs so that you can learn to relax in them. Those two things will get you to the next level.

Brandon, I enjoyed the side bar conversations. I certainly understand your desire to experiment in search of understanding and adaptability. You did very well this weekend, particularly since you were using a centerfire. Increased recoil does tend to open groups a bit, when position shooting, but you're starting where we hope others end up. Consistency is key to good shooting.

AJ and William, congrats, again, on achieving your Rifleman patches! Remember, the patch is a milestone near the beginning, not the end. I'd love to see both of you in a Red Hat, but you've got to ask for an Orange one to get there!

My apologies if I missed anyone. You were a great group and I hope to see each of you on the line again, with friends in tow!

Hopefully, photos will be along shortly.

Guardian

DrJohn

Thanks to all the shooters for making this such a productive and enjoyable event. You were all an inspiration. Guardian, if I could write an After Action Report with your eloquence and attention to the tiny details that make each event unique, I would be a very happy man. Boltin' Barefoot, Dixie Girl, and Liberty Rider, this event could not have come off without your excellent help. Huzza all, and may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Guardian

:pics:

So here you go! Thanks to Liberty Rider for being my camera lady!

During the first AQT on Saturday

Same, from the other end of the line

Long-winded SB giving the benediction.....Thanks for your attention!

AJ shot the redcoat target well with his semi-auto 30-30 (7.62x39)

Dixie Girl running the line Sunday afternoon. "SHOOTERS! This is stage 1 of the AQT....."

More AQTs

And the SB forgot his hat....

DrJohn scoring AQTs

Dixie Girl broke out Pinky for an AQT or two

The other end of the line

Patrick tried frog luck

William collecting the RIFLEMAN patch he earned!

AJ doing the same!

William's three groups during the KD exercise! Good shootin'!

Sunday benediction