News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kingman AZ KD

Started by crobjones2, August 05, 2015, 08:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crobjones2

Are there any brave souls that are going to venture out of state to Arizona to shoot full distance?
I am heading that way for the October  3- day event ;D

pennys dad

Quote from: crobjones2 on August 05, 2015, 08:06:18 PM
Are there any brave souls that are going to venture out of state to Arizona to shoot full distance?
I am heading that way for the October  3- day event ;D

I will be there as an instructor

crobjones2

any idea where you will be staying? I was looking at the Best Western

pennys dad

Quote from: crobjones2 on August 06, 2015, 07:46:31 PM
any idea where you will be staying? I was looking at the Best Western

Staying here. It is a decent place. 10 minutes from downtown, has a resturant and is easy access to freeway.
It is a comfortable place to stay.

Motel 6424 W Beale StKingman, AZ 86401(928) 864-5705

azmule

Whoops - broken link, this is where PD was trying to point you:  https://www.motel6.com/en/motels.az.kingman.1114.html

The Beale St. Motel 6 has sort of become the default Kingman event hotel, it's under $50/night and has the handiest access to the range - you don't even have to get on the freeway, the road *behind* the hotel is the former US 66, which goes right to the range entrance.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

crobjones2

looks like Kingman is going to be busy that weekend
got my room - with fridge and nuker at the motel 6

crobjones2

Am I the only one watching the weather?? looks like rain

crobjones2

We have! There have been a couple of us from the area that have ventured out to a free state. I plan on going again in October. I have mentioned the event to a couple of instructors that seemed to be keen on sharpening their skills and learning more.

azmule

Kingman has kinda become the default socal KD event - not a heckofalotta ranges of more than 200yds to be found in California anymore. Kingman is a reasonally short drive and/or flight, has cheap hotels, shooting out to1,000 yds...  what's not to like?

Crob, Penney's Dad can't make it this fall, so I'll be stepping back in as Shoot Boss for the Oct. KD.  It'll be good to see the socal crew again!   :F

Zoanyway

Any SoCal folks considering the Kingman KD - I want to go and would love to work out a carpool in my cheap-to-drive Prius with one or two others willing to share driving duty and gas costs.

hardlyworking

Zo,

would be fun.  I know at least a couple guys who might be interested, myself included.  If I can drum up any interest (and clear it with my family) I'll send you a PM.

Zoanyway

I'm registered. I plan to drive out on Thursday, drive home on Monday, though driving home Sunday night might be an option (a bit epic, and not my preference).

So far my car has just me and my gear, though I have one friend nibbling at the bait. I don't think I can comfortably fit more than 3 shooters total (including myself) with gear/rifles/luggage.

Zo

azmule

I'll be emailing out an info sheet as we get closer to the date, but for guys needing to make advance time-off and travel plans, here's the general plan.  Similar to a standard Appleseed weekend, most of the instruction - classroom and field exercise - happens on day one...  if you have to miss a day, do NOT miss Friday, and do not be late.  All day Saturday and Sunday morning are KDAQTs and other exercises that polish and build on what was covered Friday.  (This is a 3-day event mostly because AQTs take a lot longer to run through when trips downrange to set-n-check targets are measured in hundreds, rather than dozens, of meters.)

After lunch Sunday is more "fun shoot" - we move over to the 1,000 yard bay and work our way back from 500 to 1,000 yards - ringing steel with a spotter calling your impacts.  The additional come-ups and transonic distance is good data to have, and this part is a lot of fun, but it is optional because so many folks who attend this shoot have a six or more hour drive home.  On the other hand, Californians who typically don't get much opportunity to shoot beyond 200 yards might want to stay an extra day - you're almost certain to have both the 500M and 1,000 yard bays all to yourself on a Monday morning.    :snipersmi

Zoanyway

Thanks for extra info AZMule - though of course it only gets me more excited for the event.

One question: would it be rude to my line-neighbors if I keep the boomy muzzle brake on my rifle? Or will there be other folks shooting big, loud stuff anyway (I'll only be shooting .223, but... THAT BRAKE :shootself:). I only bring it up because I have to admit: sometimes have a hard time suppressing my irritation at the "one guy" next to me with a colossally loud, chest-compressing rifle when the rest of the line is shooting standard velocity .22! But I'm pre-supposing that at a centerfire KD, that's more or less the norm across the line? The only KD I've done was 100M with .22s!

Zo

whangdoodle

I do not think the type of riflemen that attend these events would be bothered.

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Zoanyway on August 17, 2017, 03:45:52 AM
One question: would it be rude to my line-neighbors if I keep the boomy muzzle brake on my rifle? Or will there be other folks shooting big, loud stuff anyway (I'll only be shooting .223, but... THAT BRAKE :shootself:). I only bring it up because I have to admit: sometimes have a hard time suppressing my irritation at the "one guy" next to me with a colossally loud, chest-compressing rifle when the rest of the line is shooting standard velocity .22!

I'm sure opinions will vary on this, but I'll throw my 2¢ in. I think that sensitivity to muzzle blast varies from person to person, just like sensitivity to recoil. Some people aren't fazed much by it, while it drives other people nuts. Personally, I fall in the latter category; it's really jarring for me. I almost quit my first Appleseed in tears because an AR wound up next to me on the line. I thought I could handle it, but every time it fired, it might as well have been a baseball bat hitting me in the face. It was physically painful, and I couldn't focus on anything. Thankfully, the shoot boss & the AR shooter were very understanding, and our positions were shuffled around during lunch.

On a regular KD, everyone will be shooting centerfire, so it's probably not as much of a big deal as on a 25 meter Appleseed with mixed rimfire & centerfire.

I would submit that there's not really a need for a muzzle brake at an Appleseed event, though. Even the "rapid fire" portions of the AQT are fired at a rate that is fairly slow compared to other types of competitive shooting, where muzzle brakes would give you an advantage in faster times & higher scores. Also, the firing line style of Appleseed events puts everyone close together, where muzzle blast is up close & personal from neighbor to neighbor.

If you're not sure about it, you could always come with the brake removed but in your range bag. If it's not working for you, then screw it on & try it attached.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

azmule

As mentioned above, EVERY rifle on this line is going to be loud, plan accordingly!  :snipersmi
Fortunately, the firing line at Kingman is long enough that folks can spread out a bit, so nobody has to get a facefull of redirected gas (unless you want to work on those "rifleman's bubble" distraction tune-out skills).

navybowhunter

Quote: I would submit that there's not really a need for a muzzle brake at an Appleseed event, though. Even the "rapid fire" portions of the AQT are fired at a rate that is fairly slow compared to other types of competitive shooting, where muzzle brakes would give you an advantage in faster times & higher scores. Also, the firing line style of Appleseed events puts everyone close together, where muzzle blast is up close & personal from neighbor to neighbor.

Agree!

They are illegal for use at any NRA or CMP event for just that reason.  One of my first AR's wore a JP Enterprises break.  Here is the thing with the break.

For accuracy, especially in Appleseed, I doubt few can "hold" to tell the difference a break makes in score.  Only benefit would be Rapid fire and again....highly doubt most could HOLD hard enough to tell a difference, myself included.

They are cool looking, what most PRS shooters are using and that is that.  No need for a break IMO.

I was a RUDE break having shooter at a KD a few years ago.  People did complain.  It is a RUDE LOUD noise and dependent on caliber, the concussion can be felt by shooters on either side.  An annoyance for sure.

So I have removed it.

Side note:  NRA 3x6 matches and most 800 Aggs now allow "any rifle", but there are caliber specific rules and such.  But, if anyone was ever interested, these matches are a great opportunity to hone KD skills.  3x6 match is 60 rounds slow fire prone at 600 yards.  800 agg is an across the course match, all 4 positions.  But no breaks are allowed.