News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa, Georgia IBC Aug. 1-2, 2015

Started by DrJohn, August 03, 2015, 10:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Although we didn't have a large group of students for the IBC, the six we did we have showed great ability and persistence. We began Saturday with the IBC syllabus as handed down from Junior Birdman, Dragonwood, Son of Martha, and PHenry. Introductory general remarks included the standards of Simplicity and Precision, brevity and clarity, avoidance of over teaching and telling students what not to do, and other accepted Appleseed doctrine. We then went on to the Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, Ammunition Malfunctions, and Line Commands. After each natural unit, we would break into small groups and have the students practice delivery, with small corrections and advice as needed. We then went on to Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in Prone, Natural Point of Aim, the Six Steps, Rifleman's Cadence, The Seated Positions, Standing or Offhand, and then Transitions. Because of a favorable instructor to student ratio, the individual demonstrations went quickly, and we finished the first day's planned activity early Saturday afternoon with a passionate presentation on how to tell the Story of April 19, 1775.

Because we seemed to be on a roll, the students elected to go on to the second day's instruction, and we plunged into a comprehensive review, including Safety Rules, Safe Rifle, Line Commands, and Ammunition Malfunctions. We were graced that one of our instructors brought his AR-15 and showed the group the uncommon but very troublesome cartridge over bolt carrier malfunction, and how to properly clear it. We then went on to new material, including Inches-Minutes-Clicks, Instructing on the Firing Line, Instructing on the Target Line, both with squares targets and then with the AQT. The group broke for supper and had a delightful meal together at a nearby restaurant, where we lingered long after the end of the meal and got to know one another better.

Sunday we began a bit ahead of where we had planned to be, and covered how to present an Actual Distance presentation on Sunday afternoon at a regular Appleseed event, how to set up and run an administration table, and then we had our final exam, including a number of bonus extra credit questions. I am as pleased as punch to report that our gallant and very talented students passed the final with flying colors, including getting all the extra credit questions correctly answered. We moved outside for a live fire mock Appleseed, with each student getting to act as Line Boss and Range Safety Officer and the instructors acting as Appleseed "students". Afterward, we moved back inside for the benediction, a most inspirational presentation by Morpheus of Patrick Henry's immortal "Liberty or death!" speech. The students graciously completed an evaluation in order to improve our IBC presentation, after which we regretfully said our goodbyes and took our leave.

This instructor wishes to express his deep gratitude to Roswell and 76Patriot, without whose invaluable assistance the event never would have taken place, to Jambo for his ongoing work to nurture and strengthen Appleseed's relationship with Georgia Mountain Shooting Assoc., to Morpheus for his guidance and especially for his presentation of the Sunday benediction, to GMSA for their generous use of the clubhouse, and especially to our gallant students, who traveled sometimes great distances and spent valuable family time in honing their ability to "light a fire for Liberty in the hearts of people and become the finest marksmanship instructors on the planet". My commendations and thanks to all.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

This was a great IBC! Big thank you to Georgia Mountain Shooting Association for the awesome accomodations, to DrJohn for putting everything together and leading us in his masterful way, BOTG Jambo for his efforts to make sure our connection with GMSA remains strong and everything runs smooth, and thank you to the folks in Toccoa who put us up in their house. Last, but not least, thank you those that came to learn; I can't wait to work with each of you again soon.

Here are some pictures I took over the weekend.

It begins! The Doctor is in!  ;D

The students soaking in the wisdom of DrJohn

DrJohn demonstrating the Hasty Hasty with the dummy rifle

Students practicing how to instruct the prone position

We had one problem student though who just wouldn't pay attention...

In fact she even distracted some of our most experienced red hats!  ;D

We managed to get things back on track though.  ;)
Here is DrJohn answering some questions on running an admin table.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Yankee Doodle

Thank you guys for an awesome weekend of quality instruction and the imparting of wisdom for those of us new to the Appleseed instructor ranks.  I certainly learned a great deal and enjoyed the camaraderie of Goergia's Appleseed corps.

I look forward to working with you guys again in the future.

Yours in Liberty,

Steve/ Yankee Doodle
Young Members Committee -National Society,  Sons of the American Revolution

Interested in the SAR?  Shoot me a PM and I'll help you on the path to Being Revolutionary!

"Nil desperandum, -- Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it."
― Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"  ~Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775 at St. John's Parish Church, Richmond, VA

First Rifleman: Ramseur- 26 June 2012
Requal/Orange Hat:  Charlotte - 19 April 2015
Red Hat: 27 April 2017
Shoot Boss: 10 February 2018
KD Qualified:  Ramseur -  30 December 2018

pballer2oo7

This was a terrific event. I enjoyed getting to know all of you. The instruction and wisdom handed out this weekend was well worth the trip.

I do hope to work with all of you again soon.

David
Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! - I hope you will make a good Use of it. - if you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.

--J. Adams, 1777

76Patriot

What an extraordinary group of students at this IBC! It was an honor to work with you all, and I can't wait to work with each of you out on the AS trail.
"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry