News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Women of Appleseed, Stories from Appleseed Weekends

Started by funfaler, November 22, 2008, 01:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Glory!

Sam,
Welcome to Appleseed and to the forum.  Thanks for your honest story.  Many women read this thread and it will be an encouragement for them.  Your brother is doing a great job in MN and the whole darn region.  He is a border raider with determination, and I see it runs in the family.  >:D :)

OG in WI

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Jules

Quote from: samjt15 on November 05, 2009, 01:57:39 AM
some days I guess i'm not a very good sport to say the least but I did attempt to try the shoot this past year in Winona MN.  I honestly did not have a great time, I know who ever reads this will disagree or frown on that part but keep reading.. So I had quit half way through, yes I did and I do regret it now.  Then I had moved to Missouri where I currently live and my brother had come down for the shoot in August at Osage Beach, And I had a blast. The people where great and welcomed me my fiance and my brother with open arms.

Sam,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. Every AS has a personality of its own. Not to mention the weather. You were a good sport to try once again, and I am thrilled that you had a blast. I promised myself at the get go that if it stopped being "fun" I was out of there. It never stopped being fun for me. Yes, it was painful, but never NOT fun. I hope you share your story with other women. Welcome back!
Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

charlie06

Hi All, I am still learning my way around the site, and just came across this board, Appleseed has been in the family for awhile. I attended my first appleseed in July, and I had a great time, even though the first day was a steady rain, I manged to make it through the day! And then the next day was sunny and warm, I was pretty impressed that I ended up shooting a 177, after not shooting for about 2 years! After attending that shot I finally got what drove my husband to attend all these shots. Unfortantly due to having a 2 year old it is hard for me to always attend them. I did get to attend this past weekend, in Ottawa, with three boys in tow, lol! Unfortantly I did not get to shot the whole weekend as the last few weeks I have been trying to keep up on all the sick ppl in the house and now that everyone is well, it decided to hit me, But, M1 our nine year old shot a 190 on the aqt! That was amazing in it's self. I am hoping to be on the Appleseed trail more in 2010 and hopefully beat wetfoots record on getting rifleman, lol!

Strawberry Roan

Jules,
I can so relate to your story in the health issues department!  After gymnastics and horses in high school and 13 years in law enforcement, my bod has seen better days :cool2:
My story with Appleseed started about 2 years ago when I read about it and dreamed of being able to attend one.  As a military daughter, mom and wife, I grew up with a passionate love for my country and being able to serve her in whatever capacity I could.  Like many, I have always abhorred politics and hated being involved, so when the political situation hit the fan, I finally realized I must get involved and pay attention no matter how distasteful.  When the opportunity arose for my first Appleseed in Carlsbad, NM in Dec '09,(we live in Roswell) I was so excited and worked at convincing my husband that it would be worth attending.  He was okay with it because I was so excited about it(he loves to spoil me rotten O0), so when he finagled the finances so we could go, I was a happy camper!  Once we got there, it was like I came home and found a new mission in life to replace the heartbreak I had when I could no longer be a law enforcment officer because of my health issues.  My husband was so blown away with how much he learned and discovered how much he didn't know, even though he was a good shot.  Neither of us achieved rifleman status that time, so we signed up for the Alamogordo shoot in January and he got his patch, as well as stepping up to become an instructor.  For me, I was my own worst enemy because I wanted to achieve that patch so bad and was afraid that I couldn't because I was having a hard time with health issues and kept blaming myself for what turned out to be some equipment issues such as the sling being set in the rifle too long, the buttstock being too slippery and the cheekpiece needing to be higher.  Well, this weekend, we went back to Carlsbad.  I spent all week reminding myself that I had gotten the best training in the world and that even though I didn't have confidence in myself yet, I should trust the training, that I had done the work practicing posititions, mag changes and lots of dry firing.  Sam, Chris and Dave were very encouraging, supportive without being too soft.  This part is hard to explain, but they didn't "coddle" me too much, but they weren't too hard on me either.  They hit the right note at the right time and for that I am so thankful!  On Saturday, Feb. 20, 2010, I left home as a cook, that evening, I came home a Rifleman fledgling.  I say fledgling, because I'm not done improving myself yet!  8) I scored a 217 on the first AQT we shot that day and although I didn't achieve it the rest of Saturday(I was SOOOO tired), on Sunday, I shot  2 more AQT's  at a riflemans score.  My goal is to someday score a 250 on the AQT and have set as a goal to overcome my shyness to become a good instructor too.  Getting out of your comfort zone is a hard thing, but what it gives back in self worth, a sense of accomplishment and helping others to bloom is simply priceless!
I have been very blessed!

vic303

Congrats on your Rifleman patch, Roan!  You have an excellent story to share, about perseverence and overcoming obstacles be they mental or physical!

Old Glory!

SR,
Welcome to Appleseed, and CONGRATULATIONS.  Your story brings tears to my eyes. 

You hit on some important points:

We must pay attention, no matter how distasteful (if we are to call ourselves Americans)

Equipment is sometimes the problem, it's not always us

Have confidence and trust the training/teaching  (persevere)

Encouraging and supportive instruction works.....without coddling

Quote from: Strawberry Roan on February 22, 2010, 05:33:47 PM
My goal is to someday score a 250 on the AQT and have set as a goal to overcome my shyness to become a good instructor too.  Getting out of your comfort zone is a hard thing, but what it gives back in self worth, a sense of accomplishment and helping others to bloom is simply priceless!
I have been very blessed!

Sam, Chris, Dave; you have found a True Rifleman. 

Appleseed does have a way of helping one overcome shyness. ;)   

See you on the trail. 

OG in WI
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

doubleLL

I will start off my story by stating I didn't grow up with guns. In fact I didn't know my parents had a rifle until I was in HS and even then my parents moved the gun when they found out we had found it. My first exposure to guns was a war zone. I volunteered to deploy at an army civilian to Afghanistan a few years ago. Since I am a civilian, we were un armed and dependent upon the military for security. While heading out to a site, I was asked by one of the soldiers what I was more familiar with in case something happens. I was shocked, and stuttered saying a rifle. At this point, I hadn't wanted to think of the reality of the situation and what I would do if something ever occurred. I was so thankful to return back to base safely. Two weeks later my convoy was hit by an IED. We all made it back with just a few bumps and bruises. When I returned home I was placed on a top level government project with DHS. After getting burned out working with Congress, Senators, and top level government officials, I left the government and took a private job. At this time I decided to address my fear of guns. I went out to a SASS event and shot my first rifle, shotgun and pistol. I was terrified of dropping the guns and shooting someone, but the group showed me how the guns worked and the safety. I decided after that weekend that I wanted to learn how to shoot a rifle properly.  My husband said if I could find a cheap place to learn we would go. Appleseed was FREE for woman; we attended our first event in Davilla in August. I was frustrated beyond belief: overcoming my fear, new 10-22, learning how to prepare and load the blasted thing, then trying to remember the stupid sling and so on... I set the bar so low that at one point I told myself If I could manage to get the gun loaded, and into position I had mastered that string of fire.  After my first weekend, I was bound and determined to make rifleman, and do it before my husband. I felt that if I earned the patch that I had proved to myself I could defend myself in any way. I worked hard for a month solid, and made rifleman in September. Through the course of making rifleman I mastered my fear, my hand no longer shakes when I touch a gun, I don't flinch when I hear the bolt racked and I found a skill I never knew I had. Over this past year I have met a group of outstanding people, people who have showed me through perseverance and confidence you can master and achieve anything.
To all those ladies (and gents), you can accomplish anything if you make time to do it. I wanted my environment to change me, but I learned in order to change the future we must first change ourselves.
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

Strawberry Roan

Thank you, Vic and Old Glory for such a warm welcome and encouragement!  I sure feel blessed to have been led to this wonderful organization! 
DoubleLL, I think it is so great that you confronted your fears and persevered to achieve that glorious patch!  It is my hope that I will be able to see more ladies and kids feel that immense joy and satisfaction of succeeding, growing and just plain being a better person through this experience.  Can you just imagine all the great possibilities for our country! O0

SeanO

Hi,

For some reason, I got a notification email today to go read the 'Women of Appleseed' thread.  I have no idea how I got it, but am I ever glad I did.  You gals are fantastic.  I'm just blown away by some of the stories I've read.

I haven't had time to read through all of the thread yet, but the stories I've seen so far are way more inspirational than any of the stuff any of us guys have put up.

I've recruited about a half dozen women for the Patriots Day shoot in Columbia, Maine, and I'm going to make it a condition of their attendance that they read your wonderfully inspiring posts.

God bless you all, and thanks.

Best, Sean O'
If you can't find a way, make one.

JuniperLimb

Wrote Mine up here
http://injennifershead.com/?p=1430
Mods-let me know if I should cut and paste instead of linking. 

vic303

Nice blog there!  AFAIK the linking is ok--if you want to share your experience directly here then just paste it in.  And congrats on Rifleman!
--Vicky

JuniperLimb

Bamanurse

I love to shoot and grew up hunting with my great-grandfather and my dad. I'm a 40 yr old mom and have been teaching my 12 year old son to hunt and fish. I have a great husband but he wasn't raised with all that like I was so I tend to be the one that wants to do these kind of events. We are attending our first Appleseed this weekend as a family!!!!! I'm so excited like a kid before Christmas. I'm going iron sights and letting my husband have the ruger with the scope. I dream of getting a rifleman patch but it may take two tries. I hope not but looking forward so mutch to learning all the little things to improve and getting some good instruction for my son.  Anyone going to be at the alabama one this weekend?
"We dare defend our rights"
Molon Labe
I might not be the brightest or sharpest crayon in the box but I think outside the box anyway.
All bleeding stops eventually and breathing is over rated.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but some electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

JuniperLimb

It's funny, hubby and I did not grow up shooting.  I never touched one until we bought our first handgun.  Now I'm hooked.  I love that my son is growing up with them.  He understands how to use them safely and respects what they can do.  I feel so much better knowing that even if a friend handles one badly in his presence, he has the knowledge to do what is right.  Education is the best way to keep your children safe from the misuse of firearms.  You can be the most careful person in the world about where firearms are stored, how they are handled, etc in your own home, but you can't control what goes on in their friends' homes.  It gives me peace of mind to know that I've equipped my son with knowledge rather than fear. 

yellowhousejake

Quote from: JuniperLimb on March 08, 2010, 11:15:19 PM
Wrote Mine up here

A wonderful write up JuniperLimb. Would you mind if I printed that page out and used your story in our promotion for the Indiana all womens shoot this may?

Yellowhousejake (IN state promotions)
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

JuniperLimb

Quote from: yellowhousejake on March 11, 2010, 10:12:26 AM
Quote from: JuniperLimb on March 08, 2010, 11:15:19 PM
Wrote Mine up here

A wonderful write up JuniperLimb. Would you mind if I printed that page out and used your story in our promotion for the Indiana all womens shoot this may?

Yellowhousejake (IN state promotions)
I don't mind at all.  Please do use it.

Jules

Wow,

I haven't been on this thread for awhile ( been kinda busy here in California) Roan, thank you. I have beat myself up countless times due to the disability I have, and thought instructing would be easier physically ( insert maniacal chortle here) I have my good days, and I have my better days. My husband seriousy enjoyed being with you and your husband at WSMR. I so wish I could have gone. But the Dragon Mobile only holds 4, and the 4 that filled those seats were meant to be there, so another oportunity will arise, I am sure!

Juniper( love the Blog),DoubleLL,Bamanurse, I love to read the new stories. Welcome to you all. I hope to see you on the trail. There is, apparently, a big need for Women only Seeds, instructed by...............Women.  Looks like I may seeing most of you sooner than later!

love Jules

- Eleanor Roosevelt

expeditioner

I'm really new to this. Don't own or have a rifle but desparately want to learn all I can asap.

I would like to attend the ME training in April, this coming weekend, any ideas ?????

Jules

Quote from: expeditioner on April 12, 2010, 12:39:17 AM
I'm really new to this. Don't own or have a rifle but desparately want to learn all I can asap.

I would like to attend the ME training in April, this coming weekend, any ideas ?????

I answered you another thread as well. I would contact the State coordinator for your Boot Camp. We generally can find loaners, but to make sure, find your state coordinator and ask.  And welcome to Appleseed from one gal to another. Glad you are here!

Jules from CA

- Eleanor Roosevelt

sandanbob

Expeditioner, the training this weekend is not a boot camp, which is a longer affair, but a two day Appleseed Project.  If you like the two day weekend, I am sure you would enjoy the boot camp, so definitely something to consider, if you wish to become an instructor.

I am not sure where you live, but I have a rifle I am willing to loan you, if they don't have any loaners that are unspoken for at the Appleseed Shoot.  I am located near Waterville.  Let me know if that will help.

I am also willing to answer any questions you might have, or find somebody who can.

If you haven't already signed up, contact SeanO, either here or at seanor3@myfairpoint.net, as I believe he is in charge at the shoot.

Have a great day!

Bob

Marty The Bad Ass

Hi,
I just went to my first Appleseed this past weekend and just had a ball!  I went with my husband at the urging of a friend of ours that is an instructor. I was pleasantly supriced at how much fun it was and how nice everyone was. I also didn't realize how sore I'd be. OY! You use a lot of muscles that you don't even realize your using. My past gun experience was pretty weak so I was totally fresh meat at this, and I can not believe how much I learned. By Sunday I had a 205!! and my husband's highest score was 175 (teehehe). Now I am ready to practice and get to the next Appleseed to get my patch. 

expeditioner

Just attended my very first Appleseed project for 2 days of shooting and training and I loved it !!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ (In Maine, Columbia Falls)

As a new newbie (not even knowing how to put bullets into the magazine nor how to prepare a rifle for shooting) Sean and his instructors showed infinite patience with me !!! I am so thankful to them for that !  @) @) They helped review the steps over and over and over again.  They obviously possessed a great deal of accomplishment and expertise in shooting !

I have already shared my very positive experiences with other female friends, some of whom have told me they would

like to attend the next one.

If there are any doubts in the minds of females about getting started, this is the place to do it. The instructors really

have the safety and training down and want to see you improve to the best of your ability.

These gentlemen were fantastic !!! 

MANY heartfelt thanks to everyone who devoted their time and effort to make this such a meaningful training experience for all of us.

YOU ROCK GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!

I am ready for the next one !!! ..:.. ..:..

flnativegal

I attended my first AS weekend in Myakka recently. I was pleasantly surprised to find such an intense shooting program and was thrilled to have the opportunity to meet everyone and learn this basic shooting technique that works so well.
Firearm related sports and activities have been a part of my life since I was 3 years old. I've attended a variety of shooting programs but this was one of the best I've seen.

I believe we should bring all our "girl friends" to one of the AS weekends,  it would be a terrific experience for anyone. Plus, it is always useful to  practice properly, if for no other reason,  to be capable of using our firearms for self protection.

Bamanurse

I finally made it!!!!!  Went to my Third Appleseed this weekend and shot 214 on my first AQT and only AQT of Saturday.  Then Sunday shot 210 so now I can be an IIT.  We were able to get a new Appleseed set up at my home gun range in September to boot.  The best part of all I was able to get the Purple Madam Yotnottin Patch.  I really identify with the spirit of that lady the more I read about her.  My son shot a 197 so maybe next time for him.
"We dare defend our rights"
Molon Labe
I might not be the brightest or sharpest crayon in the box but I think outside the box anyway.
All bleeding stops eventually and breathing is over rated.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but some electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

AuntieBellum

After reading through the amazing stories of other Appleseed women, I was inspired to put my own story in writing.  It's a work in progress, as there's always more work to be down and more 'seeds to go to!  Enjoy, and constructive criticism is welcomed!
http://patriotwhispers.blogspot.com
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

kd_deadeye

Hi everyone,
I have read many of the other posts and nothing I have to say is much different!

My friend, (at the time) Iron Pony, told me about Appleseed.  I had only shot pistols and was a gun owner.  I thought Appleseed sounded like something I'd like to go check out.

The first Appleseed I went to was in Ramseur, NC.  I met Fred that weekend and other great guys and great Americans!!  At this point, Iron Pony was my fiance.  He didn't instruct me - we both thought that would be 'opening a can of worms'  ;D   

There was an instructor there that weekend that had a lot of faith in me and a with a little smile on his face called me 'deadeye'! Little did he know that the very next day I would live up to that!!! I LOVED everything about shooting a rifle and was hooked!   :~     On Sunday, my first AQT was 229 and second was 237!

I knew I wanted to be a part of this program going forward and that day accepted the Orange Hat as an IIT.  Now, my husband and I instruct at shoots and plan to travel to different ranges around NC and even other states. 

I still have a lot to learn but I am looking forward to the day I can proudly accept the Red Hat. 

Iron Pony and I have even talked about buying some land and setting up a DAR! 
KD

Vee Kay

Two days after the Appleseed shoot I am still going over in my head the events of this past weekends shoot in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

I am a pistol shooter and my only experience with a rifle has been shooting from bench rest position.

On Saturday afternoon as I walked up to look at my target I could not find any hits.....this continued till some of the instructors started to wonder if it might be my rifle since I was hitting and getting groups earlier in the day. One of the instructors even got down and shot my rifle, and then we figured it out.....I WAS SHOOTING AT THE WRONG TARGET.......OMG!!!

There were gun jams and mag failures and the little things I kept forgetting to do like pulling my bolt back, and taking the safety off.

Then there were the things to remember like mag out, bolt back, safety on, flag in, gun grounded. Don't drag wood.  How many shots am I suppose to put in this target??  How do I loop this sling? NPOA and sight picture just to mention a few.

By the end of Saturday with temps close to 90 degrees and high humidity I was wondering if anything had sunk in.
I was ready to go home have a shower and head to bed.....and the thought did cross my mind for a split second, maybe I should just stay home tomorrow.....but I knew that was not an option for me and I fell asleep thinking of stories of  April 19, 1775.

Sunday went much better even though there were gun jams, mag failures and my sling swivel fell off, I felt I was learning to cope under stress. By the end of the day things were coming together and things that seemed difficult the day before were getting easier.  I believe with practice I can be a Rifleman!!!!

We had very patient and devoted instructors and I want to say thank you for all your time and effort, none of this would be possible without you.

Vonnie
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

Old Glory!

Vonnie,
Thanks for writing down your experience.  That is exactly how I felt at my first Appleseed.  Including firing on my neighbor's target. :wall:   I felt like I was fumbling all weekend long. 

Working through the difficulties is an important part of discovering that you DO possess the virtues required to develop your skills as a Rifleman.

You have already demonstrated the virtues of a Rifleman, and soon your score will reflect that.
Attention to detail 
Discipline
Humility
Honesty
Persistence
Honor
Patriotism
Responsibility   

Your quote proves it!   :)

Quote from: vkf10/22 on June 29, 2010, 05:43:00 PM

With temps close to 90 degrees and high humidity I was wondering if anything had sunk in.
I was ready to go home have a shower and head to bed.....and the thought did cross my mind for a split second, maybe I should just stay home tomorrow.....but I knew that was not an option for me and I fell asleep thinking of stories of  April 19, 1775.

See you on the trail!

Vee Kay

Old Glory,
Thanks for your encouragement and all your help this weekend like screwing my sling swivel on when it came off and loaning me your stock pad.....the weekend was a great experience, along with learning how to shoot a rifle properly, I also met some wonderful folks....Practice starts this Friday!!!

Vonnie
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

The Mrs.

I attended my first Appleseed at SaraSpa on April 17th and 18th.  I must admit a good deal of apprehension, as I had never shot in my life other than archery.  LittleMo and I had never even heard of Appleseed until we went to the Albany Gun Show a few months before.  He had SLOWLY been introducing me to the idea of shooting for quite awhile.  LittleMo had a cabinet full of guns that I wouldn't even touch until he blew out his knee and was on crutches for months and the one night decided he wanted to clean them.  I reticently played courier, bringing them out to him so he could clean them, and then put them away.  Can we say neophite!!   ;D

My first Red Coat I didn't even hit my paper, instead putting a few holes in the target of a kid a couple of spaces over (did you know there is a difference between a red 5 and a yellow one!!  The young man had a red 5, and I a yellow one.....I shot his target)  Yeah I messed up big time and the young man was none to pleased. I have to give it to the Shoot Boss and orange and red hats....they were amazingly patient and helpful to me.  Alan(Shoot Boss) sat with me during the ball and dumby,  going over and over trigger control with me.  This was the second day, and I was more than a bit sore.  Unlike everyone else who took turns, I was on the ground for the entire time.  Yup, was a bit beat up, but I sure did learn trigger contol!!  :)

I went from missing the target entirely at the beginning of the first day to shooting an AQT in the mid-180's by the end of Sunday.  Not to shabby!!  But that's not all.....there is much,  much more.  I NEVER expected the Revolutionary War education and the personal stories used to teach it.  They are, to say the least, inspiring.  The lack of a political agenda from the instructors is also something I deeply appreciate as well, as my personal viewpoint very well might be different than those around me.....but the point was made and well taken......GET OFF THE COUCH.

LittleMo and I then attended the Appleseed in Bennington, VT in August.  Again, the Shoot Boss, red and orange hats were great.  I learned and continued to hone my skills.  This time I came close, shooting over 200 on an AQT.  LittleMo and I are both pretty darn close to that magic 210.  Hopefully we will get 'em next time.  Hope to go again in Oct.

Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist