Author Topic: Hail, and farewell  (Read 1228 times)

Offline American Amazon

• Inactive Instructor
  • Livermore 12-12, Battle Ground 2-15
Hail, and farewell
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:01:37 AM »
I would like to thank all the people I have worked with during my time as a part of Project Appleseed.  When I started volunteering as a blue hat, many instructors encouraged me on my journey to become a Rifleman.  The phrases "A Rifleman persists", "A Rifleman learns from every shot", and "improvise, adapt, overcome" will always be part of my vocabulary.  The time I spent training to become a Rifleman taught me a lot, about marksmanship and about myself.

While I was a blue hat, I began getting over my fear of public speaking, with the encouragement of other instructors, by telling Dangerous Dames stories.

Once I made my score, I took my orange hat.  I would like to thank all the instructors who trained me to become a storyteller, and a good rifle safety/marksmanship instructor.  (Having experienced both, I can truthfully say that Project Appleseed's instructor training program is a *much* better one than the NRA's.)  The instructors I worked with, honed my teaching skills so that I could earn my red hat, and pass rifle marksmanship skills on to my students.

However, I no longer feel that Project Appleseed is the most effective way for me to pass on the ideals of liberty and of active civic engagement to my students.  I am resigning as a Project Appleseed instructor, in order to put my skills and enthusiasm to use elsewhere.

My hat may change, but the Mission remains the same.

Yours sincerely,
American Amazon
"We are no ways dispirited here, we possess a spirit that will not be conquered. If our men are all drawn off and we should be attacked, you would find a race of Amazons in America." -Abigail Adams (letter to husband John dated 9/20/1776)

Vinnie

Re: Hail, and farewell
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 02:27:12 AM »
Thanks Pat, for all you've done!
  You were there when I made Rifleman  :)

If the Mission is truly the Mission... then all Appleseeders (from the top down) should welcome any person or organization out there moving the Mission forward.

Keep up the Fire!
    Vinnie

Offline Ducky

• RWVA Instructor
  • Teach our history, to save our future.
Re: Hail, and farewell
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 03:16:29 AM »
Dear Pat,

You and Nero made a hugely positive impression when my family and I were mulling over the possibility of dedicating our time, effort, thought and love, to Appleseed.  We admired your commitment, were impressed with your depth of understanding and enthusiasm for both the history and marksmanship, and felt that if someone like you two thought Appleseed was worth your time, it must be a very special, worthy group, indeed. We had never volunteered our precious family-time for any organization before--and yet here we are now, almost 3 years later, with the fire of the Mission coursing through our veins.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, to both you and Nero for your all your work--for all your generously donated hours of thought, the necessary studies you undertook to become the instructors you are, and the careful and dedicated work you gave so graciously to participants and your fellow instructors . Appleseed is losing two very special people.   :-[

My best to you both, with wishes for many happy days to come,
Ducky
Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand