News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Garrettsville, OH May 30-31, 2015

Started by EZ3, May 31, 2015, 10:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

The inaugural Project Appleseed event at Streetsboro Sportsman Association began under overcast skies and ended in a deluge.  In spite of the ominous weather forecast, thirteen students arrived bright and early Saturday to participate in the celebration of our American heritage.

Thank you to our hosts for donating their scenic and spacious facility for the event.  The instructors and students were all appreciative, especially for the picnic shelter outside the clubhouse, which we used often as the weather deteriorated throughout the weekend.  Saturday morning began with a review of events leading up to the conflict near Boston, MA on April 19, 1775 and an account of the skirmish on Lexington Green.  Next up was the Safety Briefing, attended by the ranges' Safety Officer.  Then the students were introduced to the Redcoat target.  The results from this course of fire were encouraging, as four students showed a theoretical effective range of three hundred yards, and one student showed four hundred yard potential.  Then we began the instruction.

All of the students improved throughout the day, enduring the hot, humid weather and occasional sprinkles.  Instruction on fundamentals in prone position eventually lead to an introduction to sitting and standing positions and shooting under time restrictions. The students absorbed it all with few breaks.  Another Redcoat target ended the day, and the students showed marked improvement from their impressive start in the morning.  CS and Robert scored thirteen hits with thirteen shots, thus "clearing" their Redcoats.

Sunday was cooler, but much wetter.  After an initial Redcoat that proved the students had retained what they had learned Saturday, they made some sight adjustments and began shooting the qualification course of fire, in between the rainstorms.  Morale was good, and marksmanship continued to improve, until we were forced off the firing line around three o'clock by a downpour.  By that time, Jesse and Nik had also cleared Redcoats.  CS, Nik, and Jesse qualified as "Riflemen" on their AQTs, with Callie and Robert shooting very close to that level.

Weather conditions aside, it was a great event.  Good people celebrating their heritage with a safe shooting event at a great range.  Huzzah!

"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Corvette

EZ3, sounds like a great first shoot at a new range.  Very similar to our first shoot at Coshocton earlier this month. Lets hope the weather is better at the next one.

Corvette.
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

EZ3

Corvette,

It seems to me that MrHappy was at both events.  You don't think...... nah!  Couldn't be!    >:D
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

randoma

MrHappy probably just wanted to try out his new rain gear...

Thank you to everyone that made this possible!

MsMtnEagle

A great new range to host Appleseed Events!  Fantastic students who were there to learn!  Even though the weather prediction wasn't the best, ALL of the Saturday Students were present and ready to continue learning on a very soggy Sunday!  Their fortitude and perserverance were admirable!  It was indeed a pleasure to be there to enjoy the journey!  Looking forward to Vienna in August!  :-) 
Pam
"I never said it would be easy, I said it would be worth it"
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got"  
"What would you choose to do today if you KNEW that you would succeed?"

MrHappy

Well, I can't deny that storm clouds have followed me about most of my life...I watch carefully this season for trends.
If I can make it rain with my presence there may be an economic opportunity here for me.  ;)
Give me Liberty or give me Death
Slaves don't dream of being free. Slaves dream of being Masters ~ August Stetten