Author Topic: recommended movies  (Read 1623 times)

Offline libertyBeaver

recommended movies
« on: May 24, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »
Being new to this history, I admit it's difficult, if not impossible to find books & movies that accurately portray events... but one can hope...

And so to that end I lean on my esteemed colleagues here for their suggestions in movie department. Has Hollywood, been able to get it right regarding 4/19/1775?

For example, what about "The Patriot" or the John Adams mini-series? I remember the Sons of Liberty being mentioned in the latter...

Looking forward to any & all recommendations...

Offline Earl

• RWVA Instructor
  • "Throw down your arms, ye rebels, disperse!"
Re: recommended movies
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »
April Morning and Johnny Tremaine are the only two about April 19, 1775, I have found yet. They are both stories of young men coming of age in the Revolution. I had a little bit of problems relating to each because it wasn't the way I remember it, but I was looking to see what was good about the stuff as presented.

Every story belongs to the teller, and History will be clouded by time and relating to it.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Offline DrRichP

• National Coordinator & AOC member
  • Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
  • Southwest Regional Coordinator
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 12:58:32 AM »
There was a 6 part miniseries entitled The Revolutionary War on the History channel that did a very good job [(1) Rebels and Redcoats, (2) Independence, (3) Misfortunes of War, (4) A War Without End, (5) The Dark Days, and (6) The Harvest of Victory]. I hope you can find it.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

“What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition.”  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Offline AR-Mike

• RWVA Instructor
  • Liberty Will Not Die On My Watch!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 01:14:37 AM »
I bought a NEW copy of "April Morning" on Amazon for like $7. It is about event at Lexington Green. It has some big name actors in it such as Tommy Lee Jones. It was fairly accurate. The mini series DrRichP mentioned on History Channel was petty good. Unfortunately my wife accidentally dumped it off my DVR. I need to try to find it on DVDs. If you find any other good ones let us know.
"You can knock me down and watch me bleed, but you can't keep no chains on me, cause I was Born Free."
Born Free by Kid Rock

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-14
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-15
KD Qualified  CMP Talladega, AL  1-16

Offline Three'oEight

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 02:17:22 AM »
Unfortunately, there isn't much. The more I read about April 19, the more I think it would make such an epic movie or mini-series, without embellishment, but it just hasn't been done. Sons of Liberty was painful to watch once you know what really happened. After almost 20 years in various historical groups, I can attest, there is very little you can glean from Hollywood that can't be better depicted by picking up a book, of which there are many good resources. (Paul Revere's Ride, etc.) And that's partly the point of Appleseed. Turn off the TV, pick up a book or a rifle and experience the Liberty that Hollywood refuses to understand or depict with any real understanding of events. The History channel's 6 part series wasn't bad, but it barely glossed over April 19. April Morning and John Adams were OK but not stellar.  A great place to start on the events of April 19 is a simple little booklet you can get from the Concord Chamber of Commerce here: http://concordchamberofcommerce.org/store/

I would also recommend, of course, Paul Revere's Ride by David Hackett Fischer., the writings of Thomas Paine, Thoreau's Civil Disobedience, Lion of Liberty (about Patrick Henry), The First Stroke by Thomas Fleming, Lexington and Concord by Arthur B. Tourtellot and also The Law by Frederic Bastiat. It's important to understand the motivations of our forefathers beyond just the history. In that time, winning wasn't a foregone conclusion and most of their glorious tales of fighting for Liberty ended badly. (Read up on the battle of Thermopylae) It seems they truly understood sacrifice on a level we can't even fathom today. Happy Memorial Day!
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Offline libertyBeaver

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:10 AM »
Many thanks all!

I shall get those books, and while I'm waiting for them to arrive, I'll watch the movies :)

Hope to see many of you at MapleSeed...

Offline sluggo

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
While the video below is not a movie, it is a excellent story told-I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this gentleman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k6zq_Y_IzA
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

Offline sgtrock

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Ft Drum 08-10 SPARTANS
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:30 PM »
Forget hollywood, read a book. tommy lee jones= anti gunner. What gets me is that, They make money off of what they preach against, makes me sick. Enough said before I cross the line of cpr.

Offline Earl

• RWVA Instructor
  • "Throw down your arms, ye rebels, disperse!"
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:11:47 AM »
Just finished, for the third time, the movie Revolution: Revisited, it has nothing to do with April 19. 1775, starting as it does in 1776 before the Declaration of Independence. The battle scene with the British Regiment moving into attack is worthy, the remainder of the film has to do with the problems of culture and privilege and what was needed when... I did like it was filmed in England, that costume and weapons and fortifications and buildings were close to what was when.

Since I am reading The Crossing by David Hackett Fisher at the same time, I am golden, I have the DVD The Crossing also, but there is so much more in the book. I am beginning to wonder why I watch DVDs when my mind will color the story so much better. I am with Three O'Eight, the books are better and deeper, and I will one day list my book recommendations for History and texture on my blog page. Another task for the procrastination pile. See you on the trail, I have been training Canadians for a bit here in Washington State.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.