News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Two day Appleseed in Athol, Ma. Feb 7th & 8th.

Started by Twiggman, November 12, 2008, 09:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twiggman

The folks over at Northeastshooters.com are asking for an Appleseed this winter. I have clearance from the president of Woodsman Rifle & Pistol. My wife has stepped up offering hot beef stew for lunch.

I have a burn barrel for a fire to keep us warm., I can keep the heat in the clubhouse on so we can get inside to warm up if we need to.

I'll set up the range and firing line, obviously I'm also working this as an IIT.

Do I need to get the same forms filled out again or are they considered to be "on file" ?
Can I get a registration link set up ?
You can defend yourself with a pistol.
You can defend your home with a shotgun,
but you'll need a RIFLE to defend your liberty.

colycat

Go for it :D :D :D

You have to do the whole thing as to getting on the schedual.  PM Savage if you need any help.  Sounds like a great time and winter isn't all that bad for shoots.  Really nothing else to do anyway, is there?

Colycat
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

nrtz

First post for me!  Yeehaw!

/MORON mode OFF

Thanks for making this happen.  I've got it on the calendar...a bit of a haul from the Cape (for attendance as a commuter), but I'll make it work.  I'm a newbie at my club there (Bass River Rod & Gun Club), but I'll try to figure out what the protocol is for promoting something like this.

A question: what is the length of the range to be used?  A second, related question: will it be .22 rimfire only, or are larger centerfire calibers permitted?

- nrtz

smle

If the range is just 25 meters keep at .22 only.

If they also have actual distance have them bring both.

Figure 4 feet per shooter on the line. 3 foot will work in a pinch.

Crak is the state coordinator for MA. PM him and he'll be able to give you more direct help.

OH WHEA! Welcome to the forum and thank you for stepping up. ;D

smle
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid
If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. Ronald Reagan
Courage is being scared to death - but saddleing up anyway. John Wayne

Twiggman

Quote from: nrtz on December 02, 2008, 01:05:56 AM
First post for me!  Yeehaw!

<snip>

A question: what is the length of the range to be used?  A second, related question: will it be .22 rimfire only, or are larger centerfire calibers permitted?

- nrtz

Feel free to bring centerfire rifles, expect a round count of 300-400 per day.

Oh, that's a low estimate as we usually do a few hundered more per day in warm weather.

I apoligise for my delayed response as I've been in the middle of moving.

crak

It's coming!  Ordered a few upgrades to my cold weather gear today to get ready. 

Obviously, you'll want to wear several layers of clothing (base thermal layer, 1-2 removable lining layers, outer waterproof layer), but I want to mention a few not-so-obvious points that will ruin your day if you don't follow them.

1) No cotton!!!! It gets and stays wet and cold, making sure you stay wet and cold.  Wool/polypro/synthetics/goretex are the way to go including (especially) socks and shirt.  Most of your heat escapes through your head, so bring a hat but make sure your ear protection is compatible with it, or get some plugs.

2) Hands are important.  I suggest a mitten outside with a glove liner inside.  You might want to cut a slit in the glove for your trigger finger, or cut several fingers off, or you might not, but you'll have all weekend to find out.  I suggest several extra glove liners.  Once one pair gets wet, or some snow gets inside your outer mittens, if you don't have a dry replacements things go downhill fast.  I'd also suggest extra socks in case your boots/pants fail to keep the snow out. 

3) We won't be using the concrete covered area to shoot from.  We'll be out in front of it.  Unless all of Al Gore's dreams come true, it will still be snow and you will be prone in it for most of the weekend.  Bring a nice thick mat to separate yourself from it.

4) Wipe off all excess lube from you rifle.  It changes properties in the cold and will gum up the works.  Your rifle should be practically dry.  Keep your barrel out of the snow.  A blockage will ruin everybody's day.  Once the rifles are out in the cold, they will be staying there even though we will be going inside periodically to discuss the material.  Otherwise, we invite condensation and bad things follow.

If you're coming out in the mornings to start your car lately thinking "What the Heck was I thinking signing up to be out in this all weekend?" I'd be just as happy to have you on April 19th at Harvard as I would next week.  Just do us the favor of telling us ahead of time that you'd like to switch cause that won't fly nearly as well on Saturday morning.   ;D
Check your drama at the door.

dwarven1

Weather.com says that it will be ABOVE FREEZING this weekend. Be prepared to deal with icemelt.

BTW... Eastern Mountain Sports is having a sale on winter gear; up to 40% off. Last chance to get more gear! (I just got some more thermal underwear, myself... it may be above freezing, but it'll still be cold.)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

jonathans

saturday 17 F by about 9pm, but won't break 30 F until noon.

possible AM showers on sunday, but 35 F and above all day.

i'm bringing extra snacks, extra water, extra tylenol.
adaequatio intellectus et rei; the correspondence of the mind to reality.

Twiggman

Range is all set, lunch is all set.

Bring a sled for the gear.

dwarven1

Over a foot of heavily crusted snow on the range makes it tough to walk... but damn, what a great crew of shooters we have!!

Some pix from yesterday. I'll edit this with comments later; I need to shower and hit the road for Athol again.

NINE degrees when we arrived. BRRR!!!

I don't want to hear anyone bragging about shooting in a hurricane any more. I dare you to try and get a good solid shooting position when you're sliding on SNOW - DRY, SLIPPERY SNOW. Mixed with ice chunks two inches thick. But our guys DID it.

Snapshot getting his Rifleman badge from a very bedraggled looking Dwarven1. Snapshot missed getting a dunking by ONE point, shooting Rifleman with a 211! (Those Cossack hats that Crak brought are WARM... and I was sweating a lot. Not good in freezing temps.)

There's room on the line for tomorrow... be there at 9:00 if you want to join the fun.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Twiggman

I'm soooooo tired. ...and happy.  :)

The round count was just as high or higher than some of the summer Appleseed's I've attended.

More in the AAR. You'll be amazed, you'll be impressed, you'll think we're  ++), but the system WORKS.

SamD

You all make me proud. great bunch out there. Dedication an persistence O0

Btw you would be a lot warmer if you got rid of that trash can and built a proper U.M.W.A. style "strike fire".
I like the 900x20 radials myself ;D

Sam

dwarven1

Quote from: SamD on February 08, 2009, 09:42:30 PM
You all make me proud. great bunch out there. Dedication an persistence O0

Btw you would be a lot warmer if you got rid of that trash can and built a proper U.M.W.A. style "strike fire".
I like the 900x20 radials myself ;D

Sam
Oh, ick... my coat still reeks of woodsmoke. I don't mind that, but burning rubber? I'd have to stand upwind of myself.

But thanks for the kind words. Personally, I think that we had 22 nuts out there - 18 behind the rifles and four of 'em calling the line. Must be something in the water.  #)

GEORGE WASHINGTON

crak

Haha, I thought I was going crazy smelling the burning rubber.  What was that?
Check your drama at the door.