News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

cross eye dominance?

Started by bryanrheem, March 13, 2015, 11:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryanrheem

Hello,

My son (age 9) is cross eye dominant, but also ambidextrous.  He is primarily left handed (writes, throws and bats left handed) but also does a lot of things right handed (right foot dominant & golfs). 

When it comes to shooting, he prefers to shoot left handed, but his dominant eye is naturally his right.  I know there are different schools of thought in terms of switching hands, or training the eyes and I was curious for feedback.

Personally, I would like to have him switch hands and shoot right handed just for the fact that the majority of guns are tailored to the right handed world (and I want him to shoot all of mine as well!).  I've had him try to shoot right handed and he complains that it's awkward.  But then again, he is only 9 and doing anything he doesn't like to do is awkward!

Would love to hear stories and receive any type of feedback and exercises! 

Thanks!
Bryan

jmdavis

I know many shooters who shoot right handed guns left handed. But I would recommend that he shoot (rifles, shotguns) with his dominant eye. If he already is used to golfing right handed it should not be too difficult. You could try making a game out of it and see how he does with each hand.

You could train his eye, but it can be more difficult than switching hand.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

grunt soldier

We tried both options with my wife and she isn't even ambidextrous.  She is right handed and left eye dominant.  it was a bit difficult but we found shooting left handed just made it that much easier for her vs the whole eye training.  It was a bit awqkward at first but now she says it's perfectly natural even though she does everything else right handed
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

TJ Kackowski

Shooting is supposed to be fun.  It is no fun when your body is telling you one thing and your dad is telling you another.  My daughter taught me that. 

She is strong right handed/footed, but left eye dominant.  She now shoots off her left shoulder and enjoys the shooting sports once again.

dond

I suggest that such shooters put Scotch Magic Tape on their dominant eyeglass lens to force them to use their non-dominant eye for shooting. I always carry some tape with me for that purpose. Some use it, some don't.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Agrivere

Quote from: dond on March 13, 2015, 04:07:18 PM
I suggest that such shooters put Scotch Magic Tape on their dominant eyeglass lens to force them to use their non-dominant eye for shooting. I always carry some tape with me for that purpose. Some use it, some don't.

I am also strongly cross eye dominant and this is more or less exactly what I do.
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

soul_man

I know this is a slightly old thread:
My opinion is that it should not matter with rifles (or pistols).  If you close one eye to sight a rifle, it does not matter which eye is dominant.

Don't confuse dominance with acuity (you can see perfectly well out of your non dominant eye).

I find it very awkward to shoot left handed (I am left eye dominant).  Once I close my left eye to sight with my right, dominance is no longer an issue.

My son is left eye dominant, and has a hard time closing one eye to sight.  I put masking tape over his L lens on his shooting glasses.  Once he learns to squint properly he won't need it.

maxwell

Re: squinting. Don't squint; that uses muscle, and those muscles get tired, especially during an Appleseed weekend! It also introduces some variability in your cheek weld and sight alignment, however small. I'm cross-dominant, and shoot with my dominant (left) eye. My glasses still have a patch of Scotch tape on the right lens, just to make sure I can keep my face relaxed and never see a double front post. The only time this is a problem is when I start putting the sling on the right (wrong) arm during a demo!

Kee

I'm cross dominant (right handed).  Through some fluke I can wink my left eye, but not my right.  That left me with the options (for rifle) of both eye open left hand shooting, or single eye shooting right handed.  I came to shooting late in life and chose to go lefty, and it's worked very well for me.  There's more than one way to skin this cat, of course.

navybowhunter

I just realized this with my daughter (8).

A few fellow competitors were quick to say "teach her to shoot right handed, as she is young enough".

But...., a few Leftie distinguished shooters and High Masters recommended the exact opposite.  They said teach her to shoot left handed.  One of these shooters is Sara Rozanski (you can google her).

You may find, according to Sara that your son is actually ambidextrous.  She said that was the deal in her case.

How did I find this?  My other daughter (twins) was shooting her Mathews Genesis bow, and was hitting the target well.  Her sister expressed interest and we let her give it a try.  All her shots were 2 feet (ish) left of the target.

Hmmmm, did the eye dominance test (THANKS Appleseed.....cause it would have taken me forever to diagnose this prior to Appleseed) and whalla!  She is left eye dominant.

FWIW

R/
Chris

TOMINCT

Good post. Good to check with this with the shooters during the sight alignment phase of the 6 steps.

At least 3 posts here involve a lady shooter. I was told by a lady firearms instructor that 70-80% of women are cross eye dominant. Something to be very aware of when dealing with new lady shooters.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Monkey

Caught this same issue with a friend that Missus Monkey and I took the range last Friday.

Groups at 7 yards the size of large plates, using a G17.

In trying to figure out what was up, it became readily obvious that she was left eye dominant.  Upon further review, she disclosed she's "ambidextrous", prefers writing with he right hand.  Turns out she naturally started with the G17 in her right hand, because that's what the Navy had taught her.  $$-0

One switch, and we went from plate size groups to fist size groups.

She'll be at a Ladyseed soon, I'm sure of it.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Charles McKinley

My two oldest daughters and my son are cross dominate.  We are using the dominate eye to shoot.

FullmetalRifleman will comment shortly.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Fullmetal Rifleman

As a cross-dominant shooter myself from around your son's age, I've come to find that shooting is much easier when you shoot according to eye dominance. When performing a task such as this, the brain naturally wants to use the stronger eye, which can lead to some complications when attempting to shoot with the opposite side. While some people make it work, it's usually simpler to just shoot on the same side as your eye dominance. Since your son is already ambidextrous it should be fairly easy for him to pick up right-handed shooting, and this should help him in the long run. Also, like you said, most guns are suited for right handed shooters. Therefore, you might as well teach him to shoot right-handed. It's always awkward at first when shooting a side you're not used to, but I think once he does get used to it he'll be glad he switched.
     I also have a couple of suggestions on possible exercises. Have him sling up and do some dry firing with the right hand until he gets a feel for it. Once he does, perhaps put a few rounds in and see how he does with live fire. But if after a few weeks or so he still doesn't like it and does better with his left hand, then I suggest just letting him shoot that way. However, I feel like he'll do better after some practice with the right hand, considering his eye dominance and how he is ambidextrous anyway. Either way, I wish you and your son the best of luck. Happy shooting!
"A lesson without pain is meaningless. That's because no one can gain without sacrificing something. But by enduring that pain and overcoming it, he shall obtain a powerful, unmatched heart. A fullmetal heart."
― Hiromu Arakawa

"There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself in acts of bravery and heroism."
-Alexander Hamilton, "The Farmer Refuted," February 23, 1775

messer9696

Old thread, but thought I would chime in from experience.... While attending the 4-H Shooting Sports Leaders training we were instructed to never fight the dominant eye. I am left eye dominant but was taught and "coached" to shoot right eye as a child. I've been fighting that forever. After years of coaching youth shooters, I too agree that shooting with both eyes open, blinder or not, seems to work well. After all, how can 57,000 volunteer 4-H instructors be wrong?.... :)
It is the rifleman, not the rifle, which defines accuracy.

PA10mm

Another cross dominant shooter here.

I also use my dominant eye.
Became a Rifleman on April 20, 2014.

TadN

Hi,

I'm left eye dominant but right handed.  I see a lot of left dominant folks replying on this thread.  Can anyone recommend a left handed rifle to use during an Appleseed event?

I've read both the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 795 are bad options for shooting left handed. I managed to make it through USAF training by closing my left eye to prevent dual front posts appearing, but frankly I don't think keeping my eye closed for hours on end over a weekend is a good option...

Worst case I'll try the scotch magic tape idea over my left lense of my shooting glasses if folks don't have any rifle recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

Tad

maxwell

Quote from: TadN on September 05, 2017, 08:06:02 PM
I've read both the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin 795 are bad options for shooting left handed. I managed to make it through USAF training by closing my left eye to prevent dual front posts appearing, but frankly I don't think keeping my eye closed for hours on end over a weekend is a good option...

Cross-dominant shooter here, and I shot score with a 10/22, left-handed. The key for me is to work the safety by reaching underneath, and the bolt by reaching over the top of the receiver. I strongly recommend modifying the bolt release so you can pull back on the charging handle to release it, even if right-handed, but it's critical if you're a lefty. Reaching over the top might be harder if you have a scope vs. irons, though.

I can't speak to the 795, since I haven't shot one. My son's Marlin 60 tube-fed is fine, though; pushing and pulling the charging handle to lock the bolt back is more convenient than that stupid little button in front of the trigger guard that Ruger uses on the 10/22.

Quote from: TadN on September 05, 2017, 08:06:02 PM
Worst case I'll try the scotch magic tape idea over my left lense of my shooting glasses if folks don't have any rifle recommendations.

Dunno if it's because my eye dominance is weak, but I'll get double posts when my eyes get tired. I find the scotch tape over my non-dominant eye helps me relax, so I'm a fan of using that in any case.

FiremanBob

Tad, I'm strongly left-handed and have no issues operating either the 10/22 or the Marlin. Neither one will chuck the brass in your face - they both eject it well out to the side. One becomes accustomed to operating the 10/22 bolt with the left thumb over the receiver (turned to the side if you have a scope).

There are very few left-handed action boltie .22s out there. The best-known, in ascending order of cost, are the CZ 452 (around $450), the Browning T-Bolt ($700), and the Anschutz sporter ($1100). Pre-owned examples will be slightly less expensive. We have a CZ and it's really excellent.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

TadN

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies folks!

I stayed up waaaaay too late last night surfing and researching options.  I found I can special order a Savage 64FL that on paper looks good.  Though considering the number of threads I see on rimfirecentral about 64F magazine failures I think a right handed Marlin or Ruger will be a safer bet for a long event like an appleseed.

Ranges around here have 10/22's for rent so I'm going to try one out. So glad I posted here instead of just skipping over right hand options :)

Charles McKinley

Savage Mark II is offered in a left hand bolt.

FullMetal Rifleman has one but mainly shoots her 10/22. (And now my AR and M1 and to think I used to worry about the cost of 22 ammo)
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

messer9696

Quote from: Charles McKinley on September 07, 2017, 11:08:37 PM

FullMetal Rifleman has one but mainly shoots her 10/22. (And now my AR and M1 and to think I used to worry about the cost of 22 ammo)

Isn't that the truth. We start with 4P BB guns, then 3P air rifles, then 3P smallbore, then 3 gun, then next thing I know the girls are old enough to buy full price adult deer tags. I love teaching the outdoors to my daughters but this is getting expensive! Still better than sitting through a dance recital though..... :wb:
It is the rifleman, not the rifle, which defines accuracy.

Charles McKinley

I hear ya messer,

Girl, girl boy, girl here, first one is the recitals the next three it's ammo and guns.  I didn't have a 10/22 for over a year as they had all been made into youth rifles. ;D

I saw a left hand Savage 64 this weekend.  It's not a bad rifle but I wouldn't recommend it over a 10/22.