News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed AQT apps now available in the Android Market!

Started by c4v3man, October 16, 2010, 09:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3man

Unable to post in the main appleseed discussion app, I'm just trying to get the word out until that is sorted out.

I have created 2 apps to assist you with your AQT, a timer app, and a score tally app.

c4v3man

The first app is the timer app, which will give you verbal commands in the same order that an instructor would. You have the ability to do a standard 4 stage AQT, or a single stage rapid fire AQT. You also have the ability to customize the preparation period and the total fire time available.

c4v3man

The second app is a scoring app to assist you in scoring the AQT after you have shot it. Simply press the score for each shot as you review your target. You have the ability to stop and re-score the stage you are scoring if you lose your place. I'm planning on making the buttons a little larger, and moving them to the bottom of the screen for ease of use.

c4v3man

I apologize for the replys to my own posts, I'm simply trying to see if my inability to post in the main forum is due to having too few posts.

I'm not selling anything, nor are there ads or anything in the apps. Simply had a need to easily practice the AQT with my father and decided to write an app to assist me in that. I've been speaking with other appleseed instructors/members and created a scoring app at their request.

c4v3man

One other thing, do you feel it would be benefitial as an instructor of the score buttons were perhaps at the top of the screen, and upside down, so that the shooter could read the score portion of the screen while you are tallying their score?

U.S.Cavalryman

for what its worth I like it the way it is. A lot. Thank you
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

c4v3man

Quote from: U.S.Cavalryman on October 16, 2010, 09:57:22 PM
for what its worth I like it the way it is. A lot. Thank you
A side benefit for having the score buttons at the top of the screen would be a reduction in accidentally hitting the home buttons if your phone has the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the screen. My Droid X has physical buttons, but I know alot of android phones don't.

Cooper

Blackberry Brilliants, set up to the plate with an app for all the Blackberry users out there!!!!
Support the Microsnot insurgents and break the stranglehold of the royalty-ists!!  :wb: :wb:
Down with the King!!!  Power to the people's apps!!  ^:)^
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

kool aid

Hi. High praise for this. Anything that will draw the warrior geek demographic is a-ok with me. I know of at least one senior instructor who is a kidding rocket scientist. not the only one either....... So, by way of introduction:

I cannot help but stop in and tell you a little story...... Since you may not know it, I'm kind of the original IIT here. Back before there were orange hats or IBC's or any of that.

Meanwhile:

Love Love Love the android app concept.

I use mine (android) constantly and am totally stoked to have your work to ease the emberassment of arithmatic in public, if only to be able to use it when we start seeing it on the line at shoots.

but I have to inflict this on you:

The whole reason I even considered getting involved with this outfit dates back to January 2007,  during a tactical rifle course. It all came about because of a conversation I struck up the only guy in the class of  40 dudes who was running iron sights on his AR. And he could shoot. And he had this weird patch on his even stranger green garb (USMC shooting Jacket).
And he was the only guy using a loop instead of a tactical sling.
And he could shoot (did I mention that?)

He had this to say:
"Clint Smith always says that two weeks after the balloon goes up, the world will belong to iron sights."

And the conversation took off at relativeistic velocity from there.

And that was the night I signed up for bootcamp in February 2007. That was the night I became Kool Aid. Fred was heard to say a day that will live in infamy.....

And I really just wanna say:

Try this.

it's a little thing I like to call the 'REVERSE HUNGARIAN AQT SCORING TECHNIQUE". I learned it before I got here. See how it works for you....... it has served me well.

STARTING AT 50: PUT TICKS ON HOLES AS YOU SCORE THEm, using the trusty sharpy you ALWAYS have on you. Get them by the boxful!
COUNT HOLES- IF 10, SUBTRACT ZERO.
FOR EVERY MISS, -5
EVERY "4", -1
EVERY 3, -2

Key to this endevour is that you do the arithmetic in your head.

WRITE resultant ON STAGE CORNER, rinse and repeat.

Simple, concise, and the battery only goes dead if you didn't have your coffee.

But hey, chances are, I'll be the guy using that App first chance I get.

could we make one that you just too a picture of the whole target and have the thing tabulate the score?
and as long as we're gonna spec it out to be the cooolest.

do it all from the 25 meter line?

Before you think I'm kidding, I'm not.

Go bold! I always say.

Okey, back to bailing!

Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Gumballhead

Looks great.

Just downloaded, and will try em out.

Thanks for doing this!

c4v3man

Quote from: kool aid on October 18, 2010, 05:49:41 AM
STARTING AT 50: PUT TICKS ON HOLES AS YOU SCORE THEm, using the trusty sharpy you ALWAYS have on you. Get them by the boxful!
COUNT HOLES- IF 10, SUBTRACT ZERO.
FOR EVERY MISS, -5
EVERY "4", -1
EVERY 3, -2

Key to this endevour is that you do the arithmetic in your head.

WRITE resultant ON STAGE CORNER, rinse and repeat.

Simple, concise, and the battery only goes dead if you didn't have your coffee.

But hey, chances are, I'll be the guy using that App first chance I get.

could we make one that you just too a picture of the whole target and have the thing tabulate the score?
and as long as we're gonna spec it out to be the cooolest.

do it all from the 25 meter line?

Before you think I'm kidding, I'm not.

Go bold! I always say.

Okey, back to bailing!

I agree, and am actually comfortable tabulating the score in my head, however someone requested an app, and it would  be nice to use it for official scoring at a shoot.

I discussed the possibility of picture-based scoring, but there are a few issues with that.
1. Image recognition is primarily based off of contrast. Short of having an inverted color pattern target behind the shot target, it would be difficult to detect the holes, especially the smaller calibers.
2. Accuracy in detection due to #1 would be low, even in ideal situations.
3. I am too much of a n00b to write such an app,  but this is a minor detail. Hardly worth mentioning really in light of 1 and 2.

I actually wrote the app using Google's app inventor since I don't know too much about Java. I have more of a C/C++ background (hand coding), so learning how to use a visual based coding platform was kinda fun. As a downside, the application is ridiculously large, it seems like it takes your code/media and adds 1MB to it. Even the timing app only uses about 220KB of audio files. Apparently they are working on it, and you can also export the raw code out of the app inventor, so I may be able to import it into another compiler such as Eclipse and perhaps get the size down. As it stands, I don't have enough free time to do that yet, but you never know...

theri

Does anyone know where I can download the AQT scoring app and the AQT timer app for an Android cell phone.  I got a new cellphone and I am unable to find these two apps anywhere that is still current so I can download them to my new cell phone.

Thank you for your assistance.

Terry Theriault (Screen Name: "theri")
8803 Reedy Branch Drive
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

theri2@comcast.net
(904) 591-5342 (cell)
(904) 538-9366 (home)

Whiskey Tango 9

Mudcat

I downloaded mine in the google play store, just searched AQT score I believe.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

scoutcamper

Quote from: theri on May 05, 2015, 04:28:20 PM
Does anyone know where I can download the AQT scoring app and the AQT timer app for an Android cell phone.  I got a new cellphone and I am unable to find these two apps anywhere that is still current so I can download them to my new cell phone.

Thank you for your assistance.

Terry Theriault (Screen Name: "theri")
8803 Reedy Branch Drive
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

theri2@comcast.net
(904) 591-5342 (cell)
(904) 538-9366 (home)

It appears that these apps have been pulled from Google Play. I have them on my old Phone, but not my new Note 4. Does anyone have contact info for the developer? If not i may be able to extract the APK from my old phone, but would rather not if possible.

theri

Scoutcamper

That is exactly my situation.  If you detemine how to extract the APK from your old phone please let me know.  I have both the apps on my old cell phone (which is my emplyer's and I must turn it in before the end of May).

Thank you.

Terry
Whiskey Tango 9

2 clicks low

You might want to check with the service provider. I find that most are helpful especially if you go to one of their stores when it's slow.

2cl

Quote from: theri on May 06, 2015, 11:21:16 AM
Scoutcamper

That is exactly my situation.  If you detemine how to extract the APK from your old phone please let me know.  I have both the apps on my old cell phone (which is my emplyer's and I must turn it in before the end of May).

Thank you.

Terry
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

floydf

Quote from: theri on May 06, 2015, 11:21:16 AM
Scoutcamper

Thank you.

Terry

This will take an afternoon.

Prereqs: you will need a USB to microUSB cable.  Walmart is your friend.

1. Download and install the Android SDK.  If you're working on a Mac, your life is much, much easier; but you already know that.

2. Turn developer options on on your Android.  Go to Settings, More, About Phone, find Build Number, and tap it something like seven times.  You'll get a dialog about the third or fourth click telling you how many more clicks you need to turn on developer options.  Once you do this, when you to to Settings, More, you'll have an additional option called Developer Options.  There's some cool stuff there, but the one that you're now interested in is called Enable USB Debugging.  Turn it on.

3. After USB Debugging is turned on, connect up the Android device to your computer, using the USB/microUSB connector.  You'll probably get a couple of dialogs on the Android device about allowing connections; say yes.

4. On your computer, test it out by typing (yeah, you need to use the command line)

adb -d

This should produce a ton of mostly meaningless information.

5. On your computer, type

adb shell

then when you get a shell prompt up (you are now over on the Android phone), type

du -a system | grep apk

which will show you the names of the different apks on your device.  Figure out which one you want.

Type

exit

(which puts you back on your computer) and type

adb pull name_of_file.apk .

(and yeah, that final dot isn't a period, but is required) which will deposit the apk on your local machine.

To install the apk on a new Android device, the easiest way is to just email it to an account on the new Android device, and then retrieve it via email, and click on it.  You'll get a couple of nasty dialogs about the dangers of unsigned third party applications, say yes, and they will install.

PM for any questions, or reply here.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

Cable___Guy

If anyone gets this done, let us know.  Sounds like a great tool I would like to have on my phone.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

floydf

Couple of additional notes:

Download the Android SDK Tools.  The full SDK has lots of stuff you don't need.  When you are installing the SDK Tools, it will probably tell you to install the Java Development Kit.  Do so.  These are the two steps that will take the better part of the afternoon.

Once you install Java, and install the SDK Tools, it will launch the SDK tools, and tell you that you need to update a bunch of stuff.  Go ahead and do this.  This will take pretty much the remainder of the afternoon.

At the top of the Android thingy that is updating you will see something that looks like "Android SDK Path: C:\Users ... and a bunch of stuff.

Open up a command prompt by going to the Start menu, in the Search box (I'm assuming Windows 7, Windows 8 not sure how that works) and typing

cmd <return>

When the command prompt comes up, type

cd <Excactly\whatever\is\shown\as\the\sdk\path>\platform-tools

(that means, cd followed by exactly whatever is shown at the sdk path, followed by one backslash ('\') and the string 'platform-tools' and then a return. You will probably have to type this by hand, because, well, it's Microsoft.)

Then you should be able to do a dir and see some tools.  One of them is adb.exe.  At this point, follow the rest of the directions in the prior post.

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

theri

I tried everything that I could to get the two AQT apps transferred from my old cell phone to my new cell phone but was unsucessful. I now no longer have my old cell phone so as of now I don't have these two apps.  If anyone finds a location where these two apps can be downloaded please let me know.

Thank you.

Terry
Whiskey Tango 9