Author Topic: ..Oh Canada, we have more in common than in difference let us SEED together..  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Josey Wales

• NY & NJ State Coordinator
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • ..Dyin' aint much of a living, boy..
..Hello Canada,
..NY State is working with our Canadian neighbors in Ontario, Canada on scheduling an Appleseed (Mapleseed) in 2015 in Canada. I have been corresponding with Canadian Doug a huge Appleseed fan hoping to spread what we do here in the USA up into our loyal neighbors conscious, Liberty & Rifle Marksmanship. If this takes off the idea of a Mapleseed just might stick, all pun intended..

..More on this to follow, JW..
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Offline PaleRider

• Shoot Boss
We're doing this in March in Michigan!
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Online SteelThunder

• Michigan State Coordinator
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • All knowing, all powerful, utterly indifferent

You have that on the schedule?
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." -- Tecumseh

Offline Oz

• designated Shoot Boss

You have that on the schedule?

They're coming to see Rascal21 and our illustrious friends at Bellevue, I believe!
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Offline Josey Wales

• designated Shoot Boss
..Not really sure what you guys are referencing too. I am trying to orchestrate a Shoot on Canadian soil, not on US soil. When the details get worked out with my Canadian contact I will post all details, so you all can jump in and lend a hand. Get your passports ready..

Offline Big John

• RWVA Instructor
Check the firearms laws, both for in country and coming into the country. Canadian border patrol does not mess around.

Offline Josey Wales

• designated Shoot Boss
..Good point Big John, and I will do the homework on that. Would be nice to bring some good old fashion American fire power cross the border But, really have no need to transport rifle/ammo to SB/Instruct. Just looking to plant seeds & let them grow..

..JW..

Offline Unbridled Liberty

• Inactive Instructor
  • Act or Accept
I don't know if you aware of this, but a Canadian film crew came down to Kentucky in 2012 and shot some Appleseed footage for a documentary on the War of 1812.  So there is some interest up there in the heritage.

UL
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:54:40 PM by Unbridled Liberty »

Offline Josey Wales

• designated Shoot Boss
I don't know if you aware of this, but a Canadian film crew came down to Kentucky in 2012 and shot some Appleseed footage for a documentary on the War of 1812.  So there is some interest up there in the heritage.

UL

O0

Offline 509gman

• RWVA Instructor
Would love to hear what the difference for the aqt cof is with their five round mag limit. I got a rifle that can only hold 4+1 I'd like to shoot but I don't know how other than change mags quick and breathe faster.
"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

tspc.co

Offline MostlyHarmless

• RWVA Instructor
  • Is dialed in at 300
Would RCMP members get to shoot for free? Going to the Great White North to teach Mounties to shoot is one of those bucket list items that I didn't even know I had!
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

Offline jmdavis

• Ramseur IBC 1108
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsQJCe9dbw

Shot with a single shot Anschutz back in 2008 by Aaron. So 4+1 can work. You load the first 4, switch mags  and fire the second mag and then manually load 2.

One will note the loaded transitions and shorter times. This is how we used to do it.
Sitting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdSSjEhbVUs

Rapid Prone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJHv3mAv08

Slow Prone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYvLrONQ4dM
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:00:21 PM by jmdavis »
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Offline Unbridled Liberty

• Inactive Instructor
  • Act or Accept
Would love to hear what the difference for the aqt cof is with their five round mag limit. I got a rifle that can only hold 4+1 I'd like to shoot but I don't know how other than change mags quick and breathe faster.

Techres shot RM using a single shot Cricket and Mudcat did it with a single shot Rascal.  Now granted, they're Hoosiers, and those Hoosiers really know how to shoot, but you should be able to do it with what you have.   O0

UL

Offline PaleRider

• Shoot Boss
That actually brings up a good point. How do you shoot the second and third courses of fire with two 5-round magazines?
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him." Rev 6:8

Offline jmdavis

• Ramseur IBC 1108
That actually brings up a good point. How do you shoot the second and third courses of fire with two 5-round magazines?

5 and 5

2 and 8 is for rifles that can do 2 and 8. If the rifle can't you work around it. Since the AQT is derived from the same course of fire that was used from the days of the 1903 until the M14, it was originally designed as 5 and 5. When the M1 came into service it was the exception and was shot 2 and 8.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Offline sluggo

• Inactive Instructor
Ok I presented the idea to the Range committee on Friday night and got defacto approval. This will be presented to the board of directors in 2 weeks and should be go! Working on a firm date.
The 5 round mag limits do not apply to Rimfire mags. For those using AR's,   it is possible to use 10 round LAR  pistol mags. Sounds crazy but thats our gun laws for you!  Rifle mags for centrefire must be pinned to 5 rounds. Otherwise they are a prohibited device.

Cheers,
Doug
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

Offline Josey Wales

• designated Shoot Boss
Ok I presented the idea to the Range committee on Friday night and got defacto approval. This will be presented to the board of directors in 2 weeks and should be go! Working on a firm date.
The 5 round mag limits do not apply to Rimfire mags. For those using AR's,   it is possible to use 10 round LAR  pistol mags. Sounds crazy but thats our gun laws for you!  Rifle mags for centrefire must be pinned to 5 rounds. Otherwise they are a prohibited device.

Cheers,
Doug

..Awesome Doug you are the man. This is going to be something grand. Get your passports ready. Doug keep us updated brother, you have my email, here's my # 917 359-5606..
..Nick/JW..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:14:41 PM by Josey Wales »

Offline sluggo

• Inactive Instructor
Bringing firearms into Canada can be a tricky business, and it is probably best to research the requirements well and leave handguns, AR15 (rstricted) or AKs (prohibited) at home.  Here is a link to info on the import requirements at CBSA;

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html

Lots of US citizens import rifles and shotguns into Canada every year for the purpose of hunting but many do run afoul of the law, especially when they fail to declare handguns at the border. Better to be safe than sorry.
The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.
-William Hazlitt

Offline Josey Wales

• designated Shoot Boss
..This is now the official date with the range July 25/26, 2015. The shoot is not up on the Appleseed forum yet but is being worked on and will be posted when ready..

http://bancroftfishandgame.com/

..Thank you Doug,
          ..Josey Wales..

Offline sluggo

• Inactive Instructor
Things are progressing very well, I am getting lots of positive feedback and interest. Can't wait to get rolling. In the meantime, I am very interested to hear of how others view the philosophy of the Appleseed project in the Canadian context.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:16:26 AM by sluggo »
-William Hazlitt

Offline PHenry

• SouthEast Regional Coordinator
  • Master Instructor
  • 2A - The Original Homeland Security
This is amazing. Huge Kudos to all who persisted to make this a reality! Huzaaah!  O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Offline Rattlehead

• Shoot Boss
  • Arma virumque cano
..Good point Big John, and I will do the homework on that. Would be nice to bring some good old fashion American fire power cross the border But, really have no need to transport rifle/ammo to SB/Instruct. Just looking to plant seeds & let them grow..

..JW..

Neither do the USCBP guys.  I was searched coming back into Massena from Cornwall after mentioning the word "rifle".  It was plain to see that the only thing in my vehicle was a single small duffle bag (other instructors were bringing rifles from within NY), but once Appleseed was mentioned I magically popped up on a "random search".

Know the laws and comply with them, be honest about what you're doing, but be careful how you choose your words.

Offline sluggo

• Inactive Instructor
Well-the board Ok'd it , we are good to go, with Mr Wales' fine help of course!
-William Hazlitt