News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ruger 10/22 - I'm thinking I want one. Give your thoughts............

Started by B.C., June 17, 2015, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.

Alrighty then.......probably 90% of the rifles I've seen on the shoot lines are Ruger 10/22's and..............I'm thinking that I want one.

"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

fepowered

You can't go wrong with any variant.  If that is what "trips your trigger", you certainly do not need any one else to help you decide..   ;)
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Minutemom

Hahaha, just do it Chris!  You've already made up your mind.....
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

DrRichP

Just do it!

Then again I may be biased (I own 14 of them). Lose the 25 round magazine and don't let it become a safe queen.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

FiremanBob

If that's your style, the 11113 is a very nice version. Practical, too, with the adjustable stock and flash hider/crown protector. They are so popular on our lines because they are well-priced, reliable, accurate enough, easy to use and easy to work on. I would never talk a friend out of a nice 10/22.

Of course, you are about to find out that 10/22s are like potato chips - you can't have just one. I have at least three more, all in different styles, on my shopping list.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Mark Davis

stoneknives

If you haven't bought the rifle I've posted a piece on building a Liberty training Rifle (LTR) of a similar design for the same $$. But you end up with a (IMHO) better rifle.

Here is the link.
http://fortwestmoreland.blogspot.com/
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

B.C.

Ahhh, I just ordered it today from impact guns. Should be at my local FFL in a week or so. I'll give a report back on my initial impressions and how it shoots during the break in period......
Oooooooooh, excited!  O0

alkeford

Sorry I dint see this till now.

So when you get it you can ditch the Banana Mag, throw the stock away put a fixed stock on it and you'll have a nice Rifle  >:D
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

Charles McKinley

I would have suggested another 15/22 for magazine compatability and it already has a decent rail on it and comes with decent irons.

Since you already ordered the ruger order this you will need it. (I'm partial to the 20 MOA versions and will explain why in a seperate thread if wanted.)

http://www.opticsplanet.com/egw-ruger-10-22-picatinny-rail-scope-mount.html

The factory rail limits getting the scope far enough forward for proper tukey neck in prone.

The ATI is an acceptable stock for a loaner but not a great stock. (I have 3, only one currently on a rifle.)  If you ever want to use it with Iron sights you need a piece to angle the but stock downto get sight alignment with your eye.

Enjoy your 10/22.  I have several. (Path dependance/ magazine compatability)
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

henschman

No 10/22 is a bad rifle.  I also would not turn anyone away from one.  I generally prefer the wood stocked models, but that one will work.  It will need a front sling swivel.  Either remove the picatinny rail and install a stud in it's place, or get a swivel that attaches to a picatinny rail.  One thing you will discover about the ATI stock is that the adjustable cheek piece isn't where your cheek actually goes if you're shooting like a Rifleman, with turkey neck... you will end up with the stock fully extended or close to it, and your cheek on the "buffer tube," well in front of the adjustable part.  The good news is that it isn't an AR, and doesn't have a charging handle that reciprocates over the stock, so you can actually build up the comb over the buffer tube with some pipe insulation and vet wrap to get cheek weld.  That's what most people who have those stocks end up doing at Appleseeds.  They do make great kids' rifles though... the adjustable cheek piece actually works for them, with the stock fully collapsed or close to it.  Good luck with the new rifle, and enjoy.
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

B.C.

I picked up the rifle from my FFL recently. Yep, It's plastic goodness - but, I still dig it. The cheek piece actually does line up pretty good with my face and the scope.  I tried all positions with the sling and surprisingly it feels pretty good. I'm thinking it may not be the greatest Appleseed rifle but I think it may work. I dumped the banana mag and added a nice charging handle, auto bolt release, a rubber buffer pin and a not so much needed compensator to replace the useless flash hider. We'll see how it groups next time we hit the range. Thanks to all for the comments.

B.C.

Charging handle. Much longer than the tiny factory style....

Monkey

I bought one of these on impulse a couple months ago at the local gun show.  Was looking for a 10/22 with an adjustable stock to allow my young daughter to use.

Finally got around to giving myself the day off today for sighting in and test driving.

Didn't like the extended rail piece just aft of where the front swivel stud goes - dug into my hand a little bit.  However, it does make for a convenient point to register your hand for consistency.

My favorite part:  Allows clear magazines to drop without any sanding/modification.

The best part: It's as accurate as the shooter allows it to be.   ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your results at the range!

ATB,
Monkey

"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham