News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Made It !! Thank you, Appleseed !!

Started by Schooner, December 27, 2014, 10:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schooner

I attended my first Appleseed at Ramseur on Dec 13 - 14, and I made Rifleman !!  Thank you to all who worked this Appleseed to provide us with the opportunity to learn about our history and develop our marksmanship.

This is my first rifle ... I picked up on the Appleseed concept while surfing YouTube, checked out the Appleseed website, and was inspired to get myself a LTR, and more importantly, learn how to use it.  I got myself a Rugger 10-22 Carbine, (hey, only $180, right?), set it up w/ a web sling, and the most excellent Tech Sights TSR200 sights.  I studied up on YouTube to learn the right way to break her in and clean her.  Then off to the range for a safety class.  I decided on the Wake County public range.  Price is right, but the drive down from North Raleigh can be a nasty hour - plus - in traffic.  I had fun breaking in the barrel.  I spent a lot of time cleaning the barrel, and got some funny looks from the passerby's:  "Gee, you aren't SHOOTIN' much, are you?".  (one shot)  "Nope"  (Safety, drop mag, locked back and clear, cleaning rod, solvent, swab, brush, swab, swab, swab, release the bolt, load mag, safety) and (one shot).  Repeat.  And repeat, again.  I'm pretty sure I could hear them thinking as they walked away, shaking their head, "all that for a .22LR ?".

For THIS .22 ?  Absolutely.  I made that poor gun counter guy open up EIGHT Ruggers until I found the grain pattern on the stock that whispered in my ear:  "It's ME, boy; I'm your girl".  Still makes me smile thinking about it while I'm writing this.  I had her set up with the Tech200 w/ standard .062 dia aperture for the break in, but later saw (yes, on YouTube), the Tech Sights Insert Ready Aperture System.  I ordered, they delivered, I installed, and then back to the range to re-zero the rifle.  Which I did, the night before the Appleseed shoot at Ramseur.

When I showed up at the Ramseur range I was greeted by a smiling, enthusiastic lady in an orange hat.  Later I understood about the hat, but what struck me right off was the friendly enthusiasm here.  I am a nube.  From a mile away, I am a NUBE.  When I was shopping for this rifle, some gun counter guys were OK, but a lot were less than friendly.  When I showed up at the range, I was eager, but I was also wondering how this weekend would go.  What I found was a confident group of people who were passionate about what they were showing us.  Enthusiasm is contagious, and I connected with what these people were telling us. Our History, and the importance of the actions of One Committed Person.  The Rifle, IF you know how to use it effectively.  That weekend the volunteers at Appleseed gave me something that I can value very highly.  I came away with a confidence in me and my rifle I did not expect to find.  With the sure, expert, and sometimes stern advice of one teacher, I made a score of 210 and was proud to receive my Rifleman patch.  And a christening from Hornblower.  I came away with something else, too.  I WILL learn how to score hits out to 500 yards.

This is going to be a good journey.

Guntuckian

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

AFTERMATH

Attitude makes all the difference!  Congratulations on your embarkation down the path of a Rifleman.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Earl

A lovely write up, but then look at his preparation to shoot just a 22LR, wait until he gets his M1A or M1 Garand. He will be awesome. O0

Did he fill out the questionnaire? There must be two others like him out there, and we should get both of them.

Welcome to Liberty, Schooner.   :cool2:
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Unbridled Liberty

HUZZAH! Welcome aboard mate!  You have set sail on a grand adventure  I hope at some port of call that you decide to become one of those smiling, friendly orange hats.   Thanks for taking the time to write this up and post it.   O0

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

MikeCee

A great reminder of why any of us are here. Thanks for posting!
Qualified Rifleman Feb 2014 - Annapolis, MD
Requalified Rifleman July 2014 - Waldorf, MD
Joined Applecore July 2014
Requalified Rifleman May 2017 - Annapolis, MD

Woo

Great write-up! It's my honor to shoot with riflemen like you!  :---

Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your silence that of the forest. In raiding and plundering be like fire, be immovable like a mountain.

VrmntYnkee

Hey Schooner, if you are who I think you are (from N. Raleigh) do you have by any chance a range card at the Wake Co Firearms Training Facility? I'm the guy from 5-points that earned Rifleman on Sat.

I do, I think it's worth it and will be using the rifle lanes to reinforce my Appleseed training in the lead-up to spring competitions. They have 9 rifle lanes @ 100 yds and more at 50. There is one standing/sitting/prone lane, but they will let you shoot prone the lanes where they have benches.

Moylan

We had another former Vermonter on the lines all weekend and I never heard about this?  How could such a thing happen? 

Congrats to all of our new riflemen!  I don't think I've been at an event before with such a high percentage of shooters earning the patch.  And what a great bunch of folks.  I look forward to seeing you all again.
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

dalek

Congratulations!

I will be (hopefully) going to the event on Boone next weekend. This weekend I hope to be on the Wake County range practising. I did order a sling but do not know when it will show up. I might have to go slingless if I want to get any range time.

If anyone wants to meet up at that range and help me out, I would appreciate.

Schooner

Dalek --

Of course I will meet up with you and we can work on our marksmanship.  I've got some AS targets, too!  Should be a great time.

I'll pm you tonight and we can talk about slings, swivel studs, and schedules.

The Wake County Public Range is a very nice INDOOR facility.  Any others want to meet up, reply here or PM me.

Fair winds ~~~   Schooner

Sly223

"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!