News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Noblesville, IN Sept 6-7, 2014 AAR

Started by stagehand steve, September 10, 2014, 12:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stagehand steve

Great weekend!!  Thanks to all the shooters.  You all persevered through the rain on Saturday to a beautiful Sunday.  We had some great kids out at the shoot - Jacob, Paul, Callie, Sam and Esma - you all did fantastic.  Keep up the good work.

Some wonderful adults as well.  Bill, thanks for coming out.  We'll get you to Rifleman yet.  Wendy, I'm so glad you came and shot with your son.  Robert, Doug, and Ralph: it was a pleasure to work with you all.  Ralph, Doug, and Bill hung in there through some tough rifle issues.  Nick and Chrissy: It was cool to see the two of you shoot as a husband and wife on the line.  Chrissy, you make Nick buy you a new Vortex!   ;)

And Darrell.  What can I say.  After shooting a 229 for your first AQT and every one after that was in the 240s.  Wow!  O0 O0 O0

Kudos to our 2 Riflemen Darrell and Nick.  And more importantly, Nick for stepping up to take a blue hat!

All in all, a really good weekend.

And now TJ can post some pictures!

== stagehand steve ==

:pics:
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

greyfox

Hey...we had some kind of fun celebrating our heritage and marksmanship at Noblesville! Sure it was a bit soggy in the morning on Saturday, but things cleared up nicely in the afternoon and I'm pretty sure I could hear that old liberty bell ringing off in the distance.

Wish I could of been there Sunday, but I had to take a break to "pre-celebrate" my 40th wedding anniversary...which is actually today. Perhaps I'll see some of you at Bedford on September 20 - 21 or at Brazil on September 27 - 28.   

Thanks to Nick for taking that blue hat. The success of providing Appleseed events is 100 percent based upon volunteers like you. Welcome.

And to those youngsters who were there and to those parents who brought them...thank you for your enthusiasm and support. Young or "not-so-young", every shooter who shows up for an Appleseed deserves and receives our thanks and respect for joining us on the Appleseed trail.   

And Darrell...I was at Nashville at your first Appleseed. It was quite evident then that you have a very "teachable attitude" and I was thrilled that you scored Rifleman for the first time on the very first afternoon. This last Saturday's score was again super duper and I was confident that on Sunday your scores would be even higher...truly "a wonder of science and nature". Good thing I am not an envious man, I would envy your talent and concentration. I do hope you consider passing on to others what you now know about our heritage and marksmanship....if not as a volunteer for Appleseed, then as every opportunity permits in everyday life. It all counts! Our heritage is talking to US.

That said, shooters, don't forget that Appleseed has a Known Distance (KD) event scheduled for October 18 - 19 at Camp Atterbury. This is full-distance instruction with AQTs out to 400 yards. Bring your centerfire rifles and learn "what's what" regarding trajectory and windage. Gain skill sets and confidence with your rifles that you may not have known was possible. Learn more about our heritage. Also, see our troops first hand in their everyday training efforts as they prepare for the defense of our nation. Registrations for Camp Atterbury are taking place right now on our web site. Sign up your family today!       

Hope to seen you all soon!

Loren

hammerd

I really enjoyed my second Appleseed and all those that attended!  Good group of people for sure, sharing many common interests.  Everyone did a GREAT job running the event.  It was organized and informative, as was my first Appleseed earlier this year.

I'll be sure to pass along all the great heritage and marksmanship information, just as all the Appleseed volunteers have done for me.  I'm forever grateful to our country's founders and for those that keep that spirit alive to this day.  I hope to see many of you down the road.

huzzah!

Darrell

p.s.  ...and TJ, since you were the "picture guy", you do realize you now have the burden of posting all your excellent pictures and video of the dueling tree don't you?!  Can't wait to see them and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.  Just giving you a hard time ya know!!

greyfox

Dueling tree? I missed a dueling tree?

Doggone it!

BrotherBill3

I'm pressed for time, but it was a great event; and I hope to make it back next month. I improved with the help of all the instructors 'despite' the rain on day 1, and technical issues on day 2. I was improving steadily then "poof" - but saved it w a 191 on the last try. So close; so close. Need to work on transitions.

Hoping to make it back in a month; time, work and other commitments pending. (probably a walk on again - so "watch for me").

Thanks and Great Job to Instructors: TJ, Steve, Alex and Loren.
Thanks for the Garande rounds at the conclusion TJ. ...
I plan lots of 7th stepping; as I have been all along since my first 'half' event last year.
and I still "want the red hat" ... :)

indygunguy

It really was a great event.  Great group of shooters and instructors, and KIDS too.

Next time I see you guys I'll probably be wearing my new hat!

TJ Kackowski

Quite the variety of weather this weekend ... not a cloud showing on the radar, but one stubborn cloud did hang out over us Saturday morning and got us good and wet.  After that, it was mostly cloudy and generally nice, but my feet never dried out!  Sunday had us baking in the sun.  Through it all, this group of fine Americans persevered and all became better marksmen and more knowledgeable about our heritage.

Thank you to the parents who came out with their children to spend some time together at the range.  Each of them were safe and well behaved.  As an aging parent myself, I sometimes worry about what the future will be like when the children are grown and are in charge.  I don't worry so much when I meet young adults such as I met this weekend.  The future will be bright because of them and those like them.

There was so much improvement by all that it's hard to point out specifics, but that's never stopped me before, so here goes ...

Sam you were a real trooper trying all the new sling styles we threw at you.  I just know that when your shoulder is fully healed, you will turn that Marksman score into a Rifleman score.

Callie you never stopped smiling, except for a few moments when you got that piece of brass on your neck.  I was especially proud of your improvements.  There aren't many 9 year olds who are as focused and willing to learn as you are.  You clearly have what it takes to become a Rifleman.

Doug, like your son, it was good to see you try everything we threw at you this weekend.  It's difficult to be left handed in a right handed society, especially when working a bolt action rifle.  But, you leaned and applied the steady hold factors, and with a bit of practice, you'll be earning that Rifleman status.  I hope you have a ton of fun sorting out all those inherited guns with your kids.  I know I did with mine.

Jacob and Wendy after we got your rifles dialed in it was off to the races.  You both showed great form in the various positons exhibiting good steady hold factors.  Now, just keep working on that trigger finger and relaxing into your sling and it will all come together.  At your next Appleseed, you need to get Joe to join you on the line.

Ralph and Esma the two of you also showed great form using all the steady hold factors.  Unfortunately the random timing of the mechanical troubles with your rifles throughout the weekend did you in.  When you get that figured out, there's not a doubt in my mind that you will both earn that Rifleman status.

Robert and Paul the two of you can't knock on the door any harder without it breaking down.  You definitely have what it takes, a little more polishing should get you those last few points needed to earn your Rifleman status.

Nick and Chrissy, I didn't get to spend too much time with you, but what I saw was outstanding.  Even though you didn't hit your rifleman score this time Chrissy, you are more than qualified to become an Appleseed Instructor.  Don't let Nick be the only one in your family wearing an RWVA hat.

THANK YOU Nick for stepping up to take a Blue Hat!

Bill you certainly have what it takes.  Ironing out the mechanical troubles in your rifles, and trusting what you've learned will get you over the hump.  I think you saw that when you got behind the Garand.  Now, get back to work and earn that Rifleman status so that you can join us as an Appleseed Instructor.

Darrell, wow!  You came to this event all sorted out and still found ways you could improve your skills.  Honestly, I think I learned more from watching you than we taught you this weekend.  If you ever get the desire to become an Instructor, you'd be a welcome addition to the Appleseed family.  You have a wealth of knowledge to share with others.

Enough rambling ... on to the pictures.

Saturday gathering

Trigga Control, Trigga Control, Trigga Control

Sorting out the prone position

Loren presents some history to an attentive audience

Mmmmmm ... dry socks

Working on new positions

Until we found that this positon isn't allowed, Darrell was giving Riflegirl a run for her money in the "uncomfortable prone position"

Rifleman Darrell.  Huzzah!

Back to work on Sunday

Rifleman Nick.  Huzzah!

And a nice new Blue hat for Nick.  Thank you for stepping up!

The dueling post

Follow the links for dueling post video

Sharing with others

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

TJ Kackowski

The dueling tree belongs to stagehand steve.  We had three rounds, but I only videoed the first two.  The final round was most interesting since the teams got together to do a little strategizin' before the shooting began.

stagehand steve

Quote from: Rayne on September 11, 2014, 08:24:53 PM
Who's dueling tree?  It looked like a ton of fun.  How many times did you all shoot it?

Mine.    We divided into 2 groups and shot 3 relays of 10 rounds each with a time limit.  I think we did 2 minutes, but it really probably should have been 1 minute.

It is a rimfire only tree from Action Target.  I really like their stuff.

http://store.actiontarget.com/duelingtargets/rimfire-dueling-tree.html

It is a great way to breakup Sunday afternoon if you have the right makeup of shooters.

== ss ==
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

hammerd

Thanks for all the great pictures and video TJ! O0

flipflop

I've just joined the Appleseed forum. Or rather... Finally made the time to check it out. I really enjoyed reading the posts and seeing the pics. It was a great weekend and Jacob and I both learned a ton about marksmanship and our heritage. Thanks to everyone for assisting us with loaner equipment and making us feel welcome.

Wendy

greyfox

QuoteI've just joined the Appleseed forum. Or rather... Finally made the time to check it out. I really enjoyed reading the posts and seeing the pics. It was a great weekend and Jacob and I both learned a ton about marksmanship and our heritage. Thanks to everyone for assisting us with loaner equipment and making us feel welcome.

Wendy

And welcome to the forum Wendy! It was a fun weekend...as, I have found, is every Appleseed! Hope to see you and Jacob again at future events.

Loren   

SPQR

I see some faces I recognize. Ol Paul appears to enlightening folks on the topic of "hold this and let me show you something".
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter