News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

For you tactical toy guys...

Started by mac66, November 11, 2014, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwebster

I've heard that the SGM mags don't work well with the Black Aces receivers. Promag seems to be good though.

mac66

Black Aces is also selling their own mags.  Don't know how they work in the Saiga but they had good introductory price on them a couple weeks ago.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Caliper

Well, I had ordered the SGM mags before posting here...  Yeah, they don't work.  At least not out of the box.  The feed lips hold the shells too low and the bolt carrier just rides over the top round.  Looks like it may work with the steel feed lip kit that came with the receiver since that should let the top round up higher.  Shame with such a good price on them.  Maybe I need a Saiga now. 

Are you guys using the pro-mags with no modification, or installing the feed lip kit? 

mac66

Ok, I just checked my mags and the regular stock 5 round Saiga mags don't work. My after market 10 round mags are marked AGP Arms and they do work.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Caliper

What goes wrong with the stock Saiga mags?  On the SGM mags, the feedlips are all polymer and hold the round a bit too low.  The bolt carrier just rides over the top round and never pushes it out of the mag.  I'm trying carefully modifying the SGM mags to install the metal feedlip piece that came with the receivers to see if that fixes things. 

mac66

Quote from: Caliper on January 03, 2015, 02:19:23 AM
What goes wrong with the stock Saiga mags?  On the SGM mags, the feedlips are all polymer and hold the round a bit too low.  The bolt carrier just rides over the top round and never pushes it out of the mag.  I'm trying carefully modifying the SGM mags to install the metal feedlip piece that came with the receivers to see if that fixes things.

Saiga mags are the same, the bolt rides over the shell without stripping it out.
Ronald Reagan