News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Montpelier, Va. October 18-19, 2014

Started by The Wolfhound, October 19, 2014, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

Fall in Virginia, beautiful weather as expected.  Hosted again by the wonderful Cavalier Rifle and Pistol  Club we had a great weekend.  Instructors included BD, JL, and Dangerous Cook.  The IITs were Oddsreven and AMHLDO.  AMHLDO did a fine job with the second strike and Oddsreven remained impressive telling the third strike.  The shoot went safely with no issues.  Out of 16 shooters we managed 6 riflemen, truly astounding.
HUZZAHS for:
Kevin
Richard
Robert
Douglas
Jay
and a special HUZZAH for Danielle who persevered and made her score late on Sunday.
HUZZAH
HUZZAH
HUZZAH
It was a great group, a great time and a great success.
Extra kudos to Lisa who cleaned her Redcoat target on Saturday evening

navybowhunter

Great to hear that Riflemen's persistence paid off for Danielle!

Awesome news!!!!

HUZZAH!  HUZAHH!  HUZZAH!!!!!!

R/
Chris

Missus Monkey

Thans to all IITS and senior instructors and shoot boss! This was by far the best Appleseed for me for so many reasons!  Missed Chris and Bob, but I am sure we will see them again. Maybe even in our neck of the woods! Jordan says she wants to become the youngest person to teach rifleman training...our next goal. On top of that is starting to question the lack of true history in our schools. Thank you for the engaging stories and commitment to our country! Huzzah!
MM

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

JL

Bear with me while I try to figure out how to post pictures.  This may take me a while!

JL

So, that worked!  Let's try a few more.

JL

FiremanBob

Congratulations to all the newly qualified Riflemen!

I have a question for each of you: What were the last skills or techniques that finally came together for you to cross the 210 threshold?
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

AMHLDO

You know it's going to be a great weekend when every shooter shows up with a semiauto rifle AND a web sling!

Congrats to all the new Riflemen and those clearing the Redcoat!

Check out our FB page and feel free to tag yourself in photos https://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVirginia?ref=hl

navybowhunter

Awesome pictures...!!!

I look forward to working this range again.  Soon!

R/
Chris

Carriec

We finally got to an Appleseed at the Cavalier Gun Club near Montpelier, VA.  It was everything I hoped it would be.  From the Shoot Boss (Wolfhound) down to the Instructors in Training, the shoot was conducted in an exemplary manner.  I will recommend the program to everyone I know and encourage them to make the commitment to attend.  The weather was cooperative in the main and my wife and I came away with a sense of relief that we are not the only ones with views that are espoused by the RWVA and Appleseed Volunteers.  I used a 10-22TD that functioned perfectly the entire shoot and I made the error of bringing another new 10-22 50th Anniversary edition that I had only fired two mags through.  That weapon suffered so many light strikes that the Shoot Boss graciously loaned us a 795 so we could continue.  During a break I replaced the hammer spring and fired a mag but as soon as we went back on it continued to FTF.  We used about 450 rounds each (less FTF's) of Norma Tac 22.  On the recommendations of others we picked up the Midway shooting mats that were on sale and were very pleased.  Even with the mats on tarps over gravel my wife had to use elbow pads as well.  If there were a way of "breaking in" the GI slings I would have done it as IMO they are not as user friendly when new.  All eight Ruger 10 round mags worked perfectly.  The tech sights never loosened although I had to make a front sight adjustment to the TD on Sunday after reassembly. There was really no need for the chairs we brought as the pace was quick and I never used my chair at all. This was very challenging for me as I am not at my physical best but had a sense of this being a "now or never" for me.  Mechanics of the instruction in Rifle Marksmanship are familiar to me but seem to have a "new" ring to folks younger than me.  There was nothing unfamiliar to me from my BCT in Ft. Jackson in 1973. The terms may have been slightly different and steps enumerated in a different way but there are no significant differences with the way Appleseed Marksmanship Training is conducted and the way the Army used to train soldiers in my experience.  In fact there were many poignant moments that took me back there. Historically the lessons were very good and detailed enough to present a decent picture of the events described.  If I had a suggestion to make, it might be to develop a curriculum that breaks out attendees to address other historical events of military significance from the Revolutionary War and present them to those attending their third or greater Appleseed.  I sensed a lot of restlessness and movement from those who had attended multiple events. Fresh material might enable attendees to regain focus at the end of a long day on the line.  In all a great experience and one my wife and I will remember.  We will attend again, Lord willing.   Thank you and be well.
ReplyQuoteNotify