News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Congressman Appleseeder

Started by The Old Guide, November 05, 2014, 02:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

Bruce Poliquin was elected to represent the Second District of Maine. I attended his victory celebration tonight. Bruce was on the firing line at Columbia last year in the sleet and rain. He's an Appleseeder. I supported him in the primary and the general election. He stands for Constitutional carry.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Fred

Hmmm - this could be the first sign of the future of the program...

Convey our best wishes, and be thinking about how he might be able to help implement "the spirit of Appleseed" in Maine.

Post or PM me with any ideas, accomplishments or plans you guys come up with.

Great news! Thanks for posting!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Old Guide

Our governor was also reelected. Paul LePage was the first governor to proclaim April as "Patriot History and Heritage Month". I expect he will do it again this coming April. (PM to Fred to follow.)
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations for the election victories .  O0

http://www.e-referencedesk.com/resources/state-motto/maine.html

Focus: Religious

See Maine State Seal

"Maine entered the Union on March 15, 1820 and the Legislature of the State of Maine held its first session from May 21 to June 28 of the same year. The motto, Dirigo, was adopted during this session.

Dīrigō (Latin "I direct" or "I lead") is the state motto of Maine, having once been the only state to hold its elections in September. t alludes to the idea that just as a star guides a sailor home from his seagoing adventures, the State guides its citizens toward the loftiest patriotism..."
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Prone to Knit

Someone that came to a Colorado Appleseed was so inspired he went home and ran for city council in Crested Butte.  Another council member realized he didn't know enough when a gun issue came up. The Appleseeded member told him to get to an event. He came to the last Leadville shoot and was blown away by the what he learned. Discussions over dinner opened a whole new world to him as he realized all the shooting disciplines.

So, that's two Appleseeded city council members.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Fred

Quote from: Prone to Knit on November 06, 2014, 01:23:26 PM
Someone that came to a Colorado Appleseed was so inspired he went home and ran for city council in Crested Butte.  Another council member realized he didn't know enough when a gun issue came up. The Appleseeded member told him to get to an event. He came to the last Leadville shoot and was blown away by the what he learned. Discussions over dinner opened a whole new world to him as he realized all the shooting disciplines.

So, that's two Appleseeded city council members.

Kim

I'm not kidding - we're seeing the future of the program unfolding before our eyes.

Now to figure specific things we can all be doing to hasten the process...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

hawkhavn

TOG,

Great job!  O0

One tactic we've used was to get the Congressional staff out for a one day AS. Staffs are usually a little easier to schedule (and they do boatloads of research for the rep)

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

dart67eb

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

greyfox

TaosGlock

Awesome job to you guys in Maine!

We had our local county accessor show up to our Carson shoot. She and her husband loved the program!
The next step up the ladder is State Rep. All politics is local as they say.
An Appleseeder as President one day.... :---
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

The Old Guide

Great minds think alike. I'm contacting all the state reps and senators within 100 miles of our Columbia, Maine shoot, telling them about our US Represenative and asking them to come to Columbia.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

The Old Guide

We did it again. Our governor has written a letter of recognition for April 2015. He has a practice of issuing a Proclamation just once which we got in 2013.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Fred

Old Guide, excuse me, as I wonder why Maine can do this - and no other state can? :'(

MikeCee

That's why I PM'd Old Guide yesterday to find out how he did this, so that we could get on track to do it as well.
Qualified Rifleman Feb 2014 - Annapolis, MD
Requalified Rifleman July 2014 - Waldorf, MD
Joined Applecore July 2014
Requalified Rifleman May 2017 - Annapolis, MD

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

The Old Guide

Five years ago I was our governor's first town chairman in his campaign. Sean O'Rahilly (SeanO) followed soon after. Our candidate spent about $3 per vote in his campaign. His opponent spent over $240 per vote. It was a grass roots campaign, sort of like what happened at Lexington and Concord. The other side never knew what hit them.

Then I invited our former state treasurer to our April 19 Appleseed last year. He fired on the line in the sleet and rain. He heard the story with no notes. He loves our Constitution, but is a novice with firearms. We fixed that. He ran for Congress and his opponent had no such backing or opportunity. It was a resounding win. Our letters to the NRA helped get him an A+ rating.
We don't watch much TV. At our state convention he said he would support Constitutional carry and he got the biggest standing ovation of the convention. He knew it would be popular, but he did not fully realize the importance until that moment.

Timing, focus on the goal, depth of dedicated supporters. Same as 1775 and it still works.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012