News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Oct. 18-19, 2014

Started by eert, October 20, 2014, 11:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eert

Day one started on a positive note with two unexpected walk-on attendees, bringing our total shooter count to eleven.  Among the 11 were two Montana Instructors who came to shoot.  The Instructor cadre was also a travelling affair with the addition of Kimber Custom from the West Side and Roland taking a weekend break from the University of Idaho.  Niskibum rounded out our Instructor cadre for Saturday.

Most of the shooters were new to Appleseed, but there were four who had previously been dipped in the Appleseed tradition.  All shooters made good progress, but those who returned for Sunday made the greatest progress.  Unfortunately six of our shooters were no-shows on Sunday.

Several shooters struggled with adjusting Ruger factory sights, but all shooters had improved positions and much better trigger control by the end of the day.  All shooters improved on their second Red Coat target. 

We had a very unique opportunity at this shoot where we had 2 experienced Instructors shooting (Kaiser and Mark Davis), plus one of the 'ole red hats who helped me along the RM path, Rifleslinger himself as a shooter.  It was a bit odd running a shoot where the Shoot Boss is a mere rookie barely fit to carry the used brass of the likes of these folks.  I'm only sorry I didn't get to spend more quality time with my compadres, but the other shooters needed my attention more.

For those that didn't return, you missed a beautiful day at the Fernan Range!  Practice the six steps and Natural Point of Aim and you will be well on the road to Rifleman.  I hope to see you at a future Appleseed event. Thanks for experiencing our heritage throughout Saturday, and feel free to PM me about any additional information needs you have.  Please send me a PM if your Day Two absence was due to the shoot, range, or other Appleseed aspect.  I can't run a better shoot if I don't know what I did wrong!

BorderRun was waiting for me at the range gate Sunday morning, and it always great having such a helpful and friendly person to meet at first light.  Of course, I think having a new job has improved even BorderRuns friendly attitude! We moved to the Rifle Line on Sunday to take advantage of a little Known Distance (KD) opportunity.  When it became apparent we lost so many new shooters, a quick conference confirmed the remaining shooters were up for shooting some KD AQTs, so the Course of Fire was modified and a 400 yard backer was set up during the lunch and heritage break.  Thanks for the help Kaiser!

Day two shooting brought the remaining two new shooters a great opportunity to observe 4 experienced Riflemen in action (Roland joined in the shooting Sunday).  Congrats to Paul from Stevensville who earned his patch after replacing a scope with a broken reticule.  Way to persevere buddy!  You Montana Instructors better get him to an Orange Hat!

Blaise got darn close shooting completely with iron sights, either with Kimber's loaned Tec sighted Ruger, or his own .223.  I don't think I've ever seen a more prepared new student.  He had studied much of the Appleseed info available and his preparation showed.  By the end of the weekend he was getting all his shots off in the transition stages, and with just a little more timing and NPOA work, another Rifleman will be earned!  I truly look forward to seeing you on the line again, and I was serious about contacting me for help with teaching your younger siblings. 

Thank you all for a rewarding weekend.  Roland, thanks for instructing Saturday and adding to the heritage with the Letter to John Parker and the Wedding Portrait on Sunday.  At least I think you did the Wedding Portrait while Kaiser and I were setting up KD!  Glad you got some trigger time and confirmed zero on the.280.  Now we have no excuses for deer hunting over Thanksgiving break. Kimber, thanks for making the long drive from the West side, the shooters benefited from your instruction and powerful First Strike.  Kaiser and Mark, thanks too, for making a long drive and your contributions to the shoot.  For those who haven't seen Mark shoot a standing Stage, it's a thing of beauty, 10 shots in the V ring!!!!  Kaiser brought a new, unshot rifle, so I'll cut him just a wee bit of slack!  He does get points for staying with the irons, of course he's still a young'un.  Rifleslinger, thanks for hauling Roland along.  You are one of the greatest examples of the pursuit of the Rifleman Path that I've seen.  Your attention to detail and recording shot data is a lesson to us all.  Folks, when the one inch squares are mundane, just take out the corner instead. Right RS? Someday, maybe I'll be that good.

Hopefully, someone has pictures to post!

Till the next time we meet on the Rifleman Road. See you in 2015!

EERT

Earl

:wb: Life is full of choices, and I would have been in CdA, if there hadn't been an Appleseed on the same weekend in Moxee. Would have loved to have seen the shooting, shucks I was carrying my 1903 A3 with a couple of AQTs worth of 30-06, I could have shot. For sure my deer tag from Washington state wasn't going to be accepted in Idaho. See y'all on the trail when life schedules work out. ;)
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Mark Davis

I was a nice weekend meeting new friends, and shooting with old friends. Blaise, lets keep in touch. Paul, come on over to Three Forks, Great Falls or Colombia Falls.

Credit goes where credit is due, ole rifleslinger out shot me on every AQT, he had the focus, the npoa, and the scores. The ten in the vee ring is a little hazy but I do take pride when Roland says he hates me after a lucky standing string.

Seeing Earl would have been a wonderful weekend.

tdow

I had a great time with everyone and learned a lot (when I'm drooling it's because I'm thinking hard).  It was great meeting Kaiser after a long internet correspondence, and I may be in the minority, but I don't think he talks too much (he may think too much about sight adjustments though).  Dirk made good company and conversation during the drive and Pat is far too generous with his kind words.  Earl, it would have been awesome to see you-  I'll try to coordinate better next time.  I thought of you as I walked up on the first morning.  Mark's offhand is incredible when he finds his NPOA.  I have a picture of five shots in the V ring.  I'll try to post it sometime relatively soon. 

Kimber Custom

Not sure you could ask for more out of a weekend - center fires, full distance AQT's, new rifleman and new/old friends. Even the weather was outstanding.

Special thanks to eert & and rest of the ID cadre for your hospitality. I enjoyed working with you all.

I got a couple of pictures:

Niskibum

This weekend was a great example of how the learning only starts at the patch. The assembly of talent at the line was impressive to say the least, and I'm not ashamed to say that on the second day I was selfish and mostly just observed and tried to pick up pointers.

Thanks to Kimber for all the help on instruction. Your taking the time to give me notes on how to improve was much appreciated.

Thanks to the instructors that came to shoot for letting me ask all the questions, and giving me good answers. It was great meeting you all.  Mark and Rifleslinger, different techniques, both with great results, and Kaiser was really on a roll. (oh no, I hope those bad jokes didn't rub off on me) Also got to work with BorderRun and Roland. Good to see both of you on the line again.

Congratulations to Paul on earning the patch, hope to see you with an orange hat soon, and keep up the practice Blaise. You obviously did your homework and I'll be surprised if you don't patch on your next AQT.

Wagon

Darn!  Another fun weekend missed...   I was all set to attend but a very good friend of mine decided to come visit us from afar..     Guess I have to wait until 2015!!!

eert

Wagon,

Good to hear you are still following AS locally! I look forward to seeing you on the line again, and of course, introducing your family to AS!  Send me a PM if you want to come out to Fernan for a little refresher, or shoot some 100 - 300 yard stages with me. 

Keep in touch,

EERT