News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

World class shooter talks about Dry Practice

Started by Engineer shooting, October 16, 2014, 04:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

jmdavis

Keith is triple Distinguished (Rifle, Pistol and International). He is also the winner of the 2010 Bejing and 2014  Ft. Benning World Cups in Rapid Fire Pistol.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

stoneknives

Excellent video..

I've used holding drills back when I use to shoot bullseye. But what would be the proper way to do a holding drill for our style of shooting?  The only way I came up with is to get your NPOA and pantomime firing for a couple minutes with your eyes closed. Open your eyes and check yourself for NPOA deviations. Of course it would be easier with a coach.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

jmdavis

Holding drills are usually practiced in offhand and you can run them like you did for bullseye. Get a position, get npa, follow the shot process and then break the dryfire shot, and  continue to hold for 45 seconds to 1 minute keeping the sights on the black. Rest for two minutes, and do it again. Repeat. Do this 5 to 10 times a few times a week. You will see your hold become smaller and more solid.

The idea is to reach the point where you minimize the movement in offhand. Then go out, shoot well and enjoy.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Turtle

I ended up watching all the videos about 90 minutes worth every second

Agrivere

I dryfire practice offhand several times each week, and add a holding drill from time to time. Interestingly I found a different benefit to the holding drill. What I will do is just try to hold the black for 5 minutes. It's a decent way to build some muscle memory and a bit more strength in those muscles, but the biggest benefit for me is holding a 15 lb rifle for that long (a NM AR-15) is that it will undeniably tell you where there is too much muscle tension in your position. I'm not one of those people who easily relaxes, so the holding drill shows me where I need to focus on relaxing muscle tension. Obviously the less muscle tension in the position the better your hold will be.

My offhand scores have gone from mid 70's to low 90's offhand in just a few months of this. I'm talking about a 200 yard highpower target of course in this case, with a 6 MOA aiming black. Look up Troy Lawtons holding drill on Glen Zedikers website if you want more!
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Johnnyappleseed

Thank you for posting this great video .
I really appreciate the subdued and excellent advice provided by this humble champion .
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge