News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN 4-5 October 2014

Started by Maximum Ordinate, October 10, 2014, 09:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was a beautiful weekend at Arnold Air Force Base near Manchester, TN.  Once again, we were graciously hosted by the Highland Rim Shooters Club - they are huge supporters of Project Appleseed!  16 Americans came together to learn the quintessentially American skill of marksmanship and hear the story of our founding.  Our fantastic Applecore volunteer, TejasLady, kept the shoot boss organized and on-time.  I don't know what we would do without you, Josie!

After a welcome, Greg (Bluegrass) shared with us the First Strike of the Match... then we were off to face the first Redcoat Target of the day!  Ben (Ramblin' Wreck) served as our morning lineboss - and kept the trains running on time!  Because our students came to learn rather than turn money into noise, we spend most of the morning covering fundamentals.  Right before lunch, we sighted in on our first square!  There were lots of teachable attitudes on the line, so it was evident that this was going to be a great day!

During lunch, Doyle (Booney Stomper) shared the Second Strike, telling about the march from Lexington and Concord and subsequent skirmishes.  After lunch, while Kris (KST) served as line boss, our shooters practiced and polished.  Even after many, many shoots this year, I was astonished at how much progress our shooters made on Saturday.  It was clear that everyone came ready to learn.  On the first AQT of the day, we minted a new RIFLEMAN!!!  Congrats to Greg Jr (Full Metal Defender) who took an Orange Hat.  We swiped his father's Orange Hat for the occasion!!!   ;D

The day wrapped up with the Third Strike, a Redcoat target and after a brief cleanup, we broke for the evening.

Sunday morning came and a group of hungry shooters came back.  These folks had fire in their eyes and coffee in their bellies... ready for some serious learning!  After a quick review of what we learned yesterday and a safety brief, our group of shooters moved to the line.  The morning was spent learning and practicing... engaging in drills to polish and refine skills.

Lunch came and we heard from Doyle, Ben (Living Hand), and Ben (Ramblin' Wreck) about Dangerous Old Men and Women.  We were all stirred by LH's presentation of the story of Lydia Mulliken.  A number of instructors joined together to share about KD shooting.  We hope that everyone comes out to the next KD coming up in Pelham, TN.  The highlight of the afternoon was John's scoring 219 and earning a Rifleman Patch!  Very proud of you John!

Kevin, you and your family took up almost half the line.  It was a real pleasure to have y'all out and I hope you can come back soon!  John, I got your email  and look forward to seeing you in Manchester in November.  It'll be the last shoot of the year.  Tim and Holly - y'all were awesome... and Holly your persistence will get you that patch soon!  Phil - you were rocking out that seated position!  WOW!  Ryan and Riley (twins!) - it was good to have you back in Manchester.  Hope to see you both again soon.

On behalf of all the instructors, thank you for coming out.  I've attached a few pics below and a link to my Photobucket album.  If there is a picture you'd like the full-resolution copy, please send me a message.

in Liberty,
Rusty

Photobucket:  http://s24.photobucket.com/user/rusty-appleseed/library/2014-10_MAN?sort=3&page=1
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

SureShotSpartan

Congratulations to all! I appears this was a benchmark moment in each persons life and I sure hate that I missed it!! Looking forward to being on the line in Manchester November 1st!
Bowman 7-13
Pelham 2-14
Calera 1-15
Pelham 2-19

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -Samuel Adams

BluegrassColonel

What great weekend!  It is an honor to serve as an IIT with such a great group of shooters, Instructors, and IIT's! As Rusty mentioned, I thought the most impressive aspect of the weekend was the teachable attitudes of the shooters. Though some looked a bit fatigued at the end of a long day Saturday, the spirits were high!

Imagine my surprise when Rusty said at the end of the day that there was a new Rifleman & my son's name was called! (I purposefully tried not to "hover" around him while he was shooting the AQT).  Greg Jr. (Full Metal Defender) is a man of purpose who knows very well what he is about. I am proud of him!

I was so pleased to have so many friends on the line! The Kookogey's, Phil, John & Darcy, & Greg Jr.  If you invite them they will come.

I will post some photos soon.
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

BluegrassColonel

Photos
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

BluegrassColonel

More photos