News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur Camping This Weekend

Started by AMHLDO, September 25, 2014, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMHLDO

Looking for guidance on who to contact so we (at least two trailers) can setup camp on Friday @ 1800 for this weekends KD?

Fred

Give me a call about a half-hour beforehand - 336 465 8178 should work fine...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

jmdavis

Chris's trailer, may be a bit difficult to find a spot for, outside of the parking area by range 1. I don't know about the other one. One of you might park up near the gate at range 5. there is a pulloff up there where we had a guy park his Toyhauler back in 2010.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

AMHLDO

Fred, thanks and we'll be in touch as we get close.

Mike, Chris and I pride ourselves on getting campers where no campers have been before.  LOL, different story for a different day that ends with one really expensive tow bill.

We'd like to have both trailers next to or close to each other since we've got 5 shooters in the two trailers.  Lot's of cooking and logistics have been split up between everyone for the trip.

We'll both be totally self contained with generators and extra water, so we just need enough room to maneuver.

I'm really pumped about this trip on so many levels!

Kirt

jmdavis

Your's can go a number of places. Chris's will be a work in progress.

From what I recall from Chris, that is a story of a Mountaintop and a large tow bill.

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."

AMHLDO

Yes Sir that's the one.  Sprinkle on a little poor judgement and some advice from your best friend who is still 4 hours away and you have the makings of a pretty good story. 

Funny now, not so much at the time...  Time+Tragedy=Comedy my family has always said.

FFJim

Quote from: AMHLDO on September 25, 2014, 01:14:02 PM
Yes Sir that's the one.  Sprinkle on a little poor judgement and some advice from your best friend who is still 4 hours away and you have the makings of a pretty good story. 

Funny now, not so much at the time...  Time+Tragedy=Comedy my family has always said.

Does the story start with "So I said here hold my beer...."?????
FF Jim
Dundalk, MD

AMHLDO

LOL, no, no alcohol involved, but Chris had zero smokes for some reason and anyone that knows Chris, understands that it was a long few hours for him.

Thank goodness for Onstar...

navybowhunter

It was a BAD gig.  About 6000 ft elevation in the Cascade mountains.  2 hours up a logging road, and about an hour from the bottom of the logging road to nearest town.  Kirt told me there was a campground at the top, I repeat "THE TOP" of the mountain.

I get almost to the top, and there is this small "pull off", I call Kirt using the Onstar (no cell reception) and his response "ARE YOU AT THE TOP?  GO TO THE VERY TOP"

Hindsight being 20/20, I did have a quad in the bed of the truck, and should have disconnected and drove up to survey the area.

Well...I proceed the last 100 yards or so to "the top", road bent to the left a bit and there was a snowdrift (July 4th weekend), blocking 1/2 of the road.  I figured "I have this brand new diesel, she'll motor thru this", and pressed on.  Motored thru she did.

I get to the top, and it crests, there is a small ATV trail, and then a steep dropoff to a meadow.  NO CAMPGROUND!  Seems that little "pull off" was was the campground.

SO.....cursing Kirt all the way, I start to back it down.  Camper hits the snow drift and stops me.  I pull forward and attempt again, same deal.  I put the pedal to the gas and hit it one more time......she motors about 1/2 way thru the drift and then slides to the right, almost off the mountain.  Camper is now listing about 30 degrees (no exaggeration).  Only reason it did not go off the mountain was due to a few small evergreen stumps, one of which wedged between my tires.

STUCK like you read about.  4 low no help, buried my truck to the frame.  No ciggarettes, and I'm hating life.

Kirt and my wife arrive just in time to sign the tow bill, which was very expensive. 

Then there was "beer" involved Jim!

Kirt your Dad's saying is true "Tradegy + Time = Comedy"!

R/
Chris

AMHLDO

"pull off" = sign that actually said naemeof campground.  Then there were the fire pits, grills and picnic tables which anyone could've missed...lol

BUT I did say the top

Great trip after that.  I do belive this one will be a little easier.

jmdavis

You guys will have a great time. Remember if you zero on HP targets at 200 and 300 that the bull is 6 moa. If you use a 6 o'clock hold this will be important when you shoot the D target. With a D and a 6 o'clock hold you want the point of impact at 300 and 400 to be under 2 moa higher to keep you in the 5 with a little wind.

navybowhunter

Thanks for the heads up Mike!

Will be a learning experience for me.  I opted to go with the 77 grain bullets for every distance, to avoid confusion.  About to go downstairs and finish the job on making 500 of them.

BTW, My 1903 A4 came in yesterday, it is gorgeous.  Are you on facebook?  If so look me up, under navarchgolf@gmail.com, if you are not, possibly later I'll upload some pics to my google drive to share with you in here.

I'm on the fence about bringing the 1903, cause it came with a note about the trigger group screws.  Said to shoot 5 shots, then tighten, shoot 5 more, retighten and continue till screws no longer loosen.  Guess it has to do with the new wood and humidity according to the paperwork.  Took me awhile to figure out how to install the bolt, but it is smooth operation for sure (once I figured it out).  The optic is clear and good sight picture.  Looking forward to getting her dialed in.  Ordered a neck sizer die and a body sizer die yesterday for this rifle.  Figure I will "fire form" brass to this rifle and load as accurate as I can for it.

Enjoy your weekend!

R/
Chris

Fred

Hey guys - I don't own a 10/22, and there will be an active duty army guy showing up Sat AM for some basic rifleman training.

Is there a chance one of you can bring an LTR and (maybe) 100 rds of ammo?

If so, great thanks!
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Eroyle

Quote from: Fred on September 25, 2014, 06:37:21 PM

Hey guys - I don't own a 10/22, and there will be an active duty army guy showing up Sat AM for some basic rifleman training.

Is there a chance one of you can bring an LTR and (maybe) 100 rds of ammo?

If so, great thanks!

Fred, I have the army guy covered with an LTR and 100 Rounds with only one problem.  The stock will say GO NAVY!
But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.  John Adams

jmdavis

Quote from: navybowhunter on September 25, 2014, 04:41:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mike!

Will be a learning experience for me.  I opted to go with the 77 grain bullets for every distance, to avoid confusion.  About to go downstairs and finish the job on making 500 of them.

I will tell the truth that I have never shot a KD AQT with anything other than M855. At my first AS when we realized that my recently installed tech sights needed a taller front post, I switched to my AR and the only ammo that I had, 69gr Black Hills Blue Box.  I have no doubt that those 77's can clean the COF. You guys are going to have a GREAT TIME. KD, camping in Ramseur. I guarantee that you will not forget it for YEARS, if ever.