News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Palm Bay KDC 8/30,31/2014

Started by PHenry, September 01, 2014, 03:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Can anyone say "Inferno KDC"? Well, I know about 16 Americans who surely can. what a tough bunch! It was long, hard and arduous, but very rewarding for all who came out to the Palm Bay Rifle and Pistol Club to learn and shoot out to 600 yards last weekend.

We began as is SOP for a KDC with a classroom session on advanced marksmanship technique, then after lunch headed out to one of the PBRPC's smaller ranges to verify our 25M zero and grouping. All students past muster and were able to head to their world class competition 600 yard range with real military style target pits. The rain abated in time for us to shoot, but left plenty wet stuff on the range to test out boots as well as our grit.

We began by shooting at 100 yards with no sight change to see where a 25M zero lands at 100 yards. As expected, all shot groups were high. If that surprises you, I would recommend attending a Rifleman's Boot Camp or a an standard Appleseed event and then, once you are proficient at the easiest part of long range shooting (mechanics of taking the shot), one of our Known Distance Clinics that are open to Appleseed attendees (many are instructor-only).

This club has special challenges due to its proximity to residential housing so special precautions had to be made to ensure that not a single round went anywhere other than into the berm. The club's rifle director, Nick, had serious concerns (deservedly) about letting a group of people he had never seen shoot at distance on the club's 600 yard range, but he made a leap of faith and let us do what Appleseeders do. Other than two .223 holes in his beautiful target frames, all rounds impacted the berm. Nick could not have been more tolerant or helpful and we all thanked him profusely for his efforts and faith in us.

Our own Malabar was our sponsor and he was invaluable in not only convincing Nick to let us in, but in his most competent help on the line both days. Both of these fine gents are owed adebt of thanks for their service to the American tradition of marksmanship.

From IIT Heidi Heidi, who had never before shot a Garand (and did so very well), to Scott who showed tremendous improvement from his RBC last year (and secured a coveted Inferno Seed patch as well as a long distance rocker for shooting a score of 127) - all had a great time and learned a lot - myself included.

More to come later - much paperwork to do.
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

heidiheidi

Wow.  What a weekend.  I am so happy I attended this event.  I had equipment challenges in the beginning  :wb: and PHenry graciously offered his Sweet Sally M1 Garand with iron sights :---  for me to use.  She was wonderful and helped me greatly get through the distance challenges one at a time.   ^:)^ I am so grateful to the many people who helped me through the weekend. Adapt Improvise & Overcome was definitely my chant; however I met many dedicated Appleseeders who also gave it their all in over 100 degrees of heat, sloshing through last night's rain, and less than ideal shooting conditions.  With all the negative said,  :DH: I appreciate that everyone had a positive attitude and I left the shoot having met many great people (new friends) from all over the southeast.  You really do learn a lot more than books can ever teach you by actually getting out there and doing it.  Thanks to Nick, the range boss, as well as PHenry, Malabar Tom, our crew including, Bill o rites, Guntuckian, The Menace, Drakken, and so many more.  Make sure to check out Scott's new website called rimfireessentials.com.  Thanks all for your help and encouragement.   ;D
Heidiheidi :F

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Engineer shooting

GoreTex doesn't help when the water is over the top of the boots.    :wb:

Watching my lovely bride hitting out at 600 yards, priceless.  O0
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Guntuckian

A fabulous weekend!  I learned a tremendous amount, and was able to put faces to many forum handles, too! 

And, as Nick, the club's rifle director, mentioned to me on Sunday afternoon when I was working in the pits with him while the second relay was shooting, "Appleseed shooters can shoot!."

We, as a group, did a lot to quell Nick's concerns regarding Project Appleseed!  He wants to make things a lot easier for us next year for our KD!

-gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Guntuckian

And, here are some pictures from Palm Bay KDC 8/30,31/2014

For the record, Cardboard Bob went unscathed.

One shot sighters at 600 yards is breaking new Appleseed ground!

The pits were a different experience for many.  As the heat built up Sunday afternoon, the buzzards even started circling over our heads.   They were apparently of the mind set that there surely would soon be roasted Appleseeders to feast upon!  I tried to get a picture of the buzzards, but they were moving too fast!

-gb

--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

draken

^^^^^

hhhhmmm Target 11 ... I wonder who that was....

And no pictures of Sheick Gary of Malabar?

In all seriousness, this was an awesome weekend. I learned a lot.

I'll add my THANKS to everybody that was at PALM BAY 8/14!

(I'll add some pictures later today)
"Those things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."
~David K. Webster~

Agrivere

It was definitely a fun and productive weekend, and it was good to see some old faces from Florida as well as meet some new ones!  Was great chatting with Guntuckian - it's hard to find someone who enjoys esoteric shooting minutiae as much as I do - and Heidi who took her time to drive me around all weekend while my wife and kids were off exploring the beaches in our only car. :)  Much thanks to Heidi and everyone else who carted me around the range! :)

It was certainly hot, and I think the Infernoseed patches were well earned.  While driving back the next day I registered 100 degrees on the car's thermometer, and the heat index on Saturday was up over 107 degrees.  The light breeze made it more tolerable, though for those who were in the pits at the end of the day on Sunday they deserve a special prize, as the pit berm blocked most of the breeze and the sun was beating down right on their heads - it was definitely a broiler.

It was very gratifying to me to earn the long distance rocker at this event, and much thanks to PHenry for all of his help in setting me down this path.  As some know, until last year I had never owned a rifle, and had not fired a rifle in nearly 30 years.  Last year at the Ramseur Rifleman's Boot Camp (8/13) was my first time ever shooting past 100 yards.  I have worked hard on my marksmanship skills in the last year though a lot of local NRA Highpower and CMP events and a lot of dry firing (offhand drives me insane!) as well as several more local 25 meter Appleseeds.  I've started bringing my daughters to Appleseed as well, so they can start learning more about their heritage as Americans and the responsibilities we have to keep alive the traditions of marksmanship and self governance.

Completing a KD Appleseed was one of my marksmanship goals for this year, and I owe a lot of thanks to many Appleseed instructors for helping to make it happen.  I have received much great instruction and help from PHenry, Morpheus, FranklinFarmer, WyKnott, DrJohn, Aftermath, and many others whose names have slipped out of my brain.  My next marksmanship goal is to start working on my Distinguished Rifleman badge, so wish me luck!

Safe shooting,

Agrivere
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

308LIBERTY

I had a fantastic time all weekend and enjoyed meeting more of my fellow AS instructors and students. Having an opportunity to shoot my M1 Garand out to 600 yards on such a fine range was priceless. I'd like to thank all of the dedicated instructors, IIT's and range personnel that made this happen. Huzzah!
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

ThaiFighter

Quote from: heidiheidi on September 01, 2014, 07:42:13 PM
Wow.  What a weekend.  I am so happy I attended this event.  I had equipment challenges in the beginning  :wb: and PHenry graciously offered his Sweet Sally M1 Garand with iron sights :---  for me to use.  She was wonderful and helped me greatly get through the distance challenges one at a time.   ^:)^

Did Trey hook you up with any of his special Garand loads?  Did he get the COAL set so they were a bit closer to the lands this time?  O0

Looks like a well-run and fun event.  I am sorry I couldn't make it down for this one!   
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."

-GBS

Proud to be funding TG and BF's retirement account... ;)

Prof. C.J.

It really was a memorable event.  Heat, humidity, and even standing water couldn't begin to dampen the fun I had shooting at this one.  Thanks to everybody who helped make it happen -- all the instructors who helped out, especially Malabar Tom for setting this thing up, PHenry for running it, and thanks also to range honcho Nick for giving us the opportunity.  Prior to this event I'd never had an opportunity to shoot beyond 200 yards in my life, and here I got the opportunity to stretch all the way out to 600 - loads of fun & a heckuva learning experience at the same time. ;D
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

draken

A few more pictures
"Those things which are precious are saved only by sacrifice."
~David K. Webster~

PHenry

Hey Scott, I just noticed on your dash readout - what's wrong with that pic? Must be defective speedometer.  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata