News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BELLEVILLE ILLINOIS - GUN SHOW WEEKEND Part one

Started by Castle Mountain, May 02, 2010, 06:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Mountain

BELLEVILLE ILLINOIS - GUN SHOW WEEKEND

Having spent most of Friday gathering up needed materials to build a new design frame for
the Captain Parker banner, assembling it and mounting to it new flags which EEL sent down
to us by express mail (overnight) it came out looking great. We also received  the mail on time
(next day service also) the new RWVA Banner from Virgina, that 'V' designed. Next we ran over
to the local Office Depot to make need copies of our  Illinois shooting events,
packed up all our gear, rifles ect., loaded up the van during a torrential rain storm, and got out of town at 8:30
and drove 2.5 hours South to spend the night a nearby hotel in Southern Illinois, so as to be closer for an early morning
rise to set up our Appleseed Booth at the Belleville Illinois Gun show.

Thanks to Missouri Brigades initiative this show is and will conclude to be another great success.
MB is a great team player and our central Illinois activities are blessed with his passionate support.
We attended a 'T'party rally and he was there with us in a heart beat handing out Appleseed fliers.
It is been a real pleasure working with him. Ready on Thursday we met down town for him to give
me his printouts and CMP catalogs.  This is the second Illinois gun show that Jungle George
has driven far to attend and work with us. What a team of players. We are indeed the sum of
many wonderful parts that make for Appleseed success in not only Illinois. We have personally experienced
great partnership with Wisconsin and Missouri. Thank you one and all for that.

Belleville, IL GUN SHOW - the next day:

Patriot Gal and I indeed had a most pleasant day manning the Belleville Gun show in Belleville, Illinois
I have been apprised that traffic was close to 3000 that day. We Apple seeded everyone we could.
Our niece ' Tenacity n' Truth'  joined us (having recently shot rifleman up in Waterman April 18th)  enjoyed talking with people
and you would be overjoyed to have heard her youthful enthusiasm it was infectious. Moreover,
young 'Dean'  from Missouri came and spent the afternoon with us also having attended but one Appleseed
in Kansas earlier, even though he has yet to shoot Rifleman. Their presence was a true blessing and both were engaging of our gun
show traffic with sincere eagerness to recruit people to attend. They have a real passion for Appleseed. They were a joy
to work with and their help was greatly appreciated.

We again had full multimedia (24inch screen video with full sound competing with the cacophony of loud repeating
pistol shots from an adjacent police shooting simulator  tent nearby. Our surrounding merchants enjoyed our presence
and filled their lull time watching all the videos.  "THE GUY was a hit when he would yell out APRIL 19th 1775
our forefathers........" the merchants would all turn and smile and look attentively towards our screen.
It was so fun when THE GUY'S voice would ring out....."Yamamoto said........." bang, bang, bang, bang, the pistol simulator was so annoying.
But o well,  fire for effect (as I turned up the volume a  bit, the words.... behind every blade of grass was a rifleman... bang, bang, bang, bang
went the pistol simulator. Heads would perk up revealing big smiles and laughter.
A nearby bagle, breadstick and beef sausage merchant kept us well fed during the say and was insistent
upon sending us home with an outstanding bag of goodies. Yum! What a great neighbor he was. Folks with the Constitution Party
were well enthused with what our mission is. Good chance we will see some  of them this year also.

We are fairly certain we have helped add to our shooter ranks for the Chillicothe shoot, definitely Carmi.
Souther Illinois has  a great hunger for an Appleseed at SPARTA and an even greater hunger for more at ALTON
and especially OSAGE BEACH and definitely MERRIAN, ILLINOIS.

This was truly a superb gun show and Sunday will prove to be just as successful
if not more, whereas Missouri Brigade and Jungle George will be manning the APPLESEED booth with
our Captain Parker Banner display stand with the six RW flags adorning his image on each side of the new
Banner stand (thanks to 'V' for the concept). EEL will also be pleased we did get good interest for the
300 hundred shoot in Waterman for Patriots Day...09/11/2010. The show host was most gracious to us
in providing a nice table. We also afforded opportunity to visit with several merchants and spread the
AS word. I almost forgot, Patriot Gal and I visited with one vendor who was selling a plethora of used
rifle stocks and after explaining Appleseed to him and making mention of our need for in instruction tools
he gave us two really nice military rifle stocks for free so we can attach slings and laser pointers on for
teaching. He was most generous. Great folks down there in Southern Illinois. We also met two people
who are interested and considering DAR of which information I am forwarding on to G69. People
in that part of the state seem to hungry for what we are doing and loved the message. We talked quite a bit
about DARs. Yes we took several names, phone numbers and email addresses of future attendees.

Had privilege to meet a man who handed me a large brass coin from a worn hole in his wallet. The insignia was special forces trainer.
He happened to be from Colorado attending with a friend form that part of Illinois. Great man who was most validating
about what Appleseed is about.  I encouraged him to get in touch with Sheep Dog out there near Colorado Springs. He said he would try.

Met several people from Alabama and Mississippi who will be connecting with BAMA himself in the near future to attend an AS event.
A senior member of the local police force asked me if we plan to come down again this summer and I affirmed we would. We met him a few minutes later
on the other side of the building where he went to get us literature of the events covering the rest of the year down there. :)
Really nice man.

Patriot Gal was at her absolute best as she was so engaging of the crowd and proceeded numerous times
when the subject of sling importance came up as she proceeded to demonstrate with excellence
to a most attentive crowd.  They were indeed attentive!  She is  such a good teacher.
Of course I am prejudice!  Thanks to THE GUY for the suggestion.  It works.!!!!
The crowd realize now there is more to shooting a rifle and are more apt to come to an AS event.
People like details. The Johnny Cash video was also a hit .

We were fortunate to find an incredible deal on a 22 inch Bull barrel Ruger 10/22 with a beautiful
wood laminate stock in like new condition, which we could not pass up for our niece for her having shot
rifleman two weeks ago and for a graduation present for her University accomplishments. So we were
pleased to enable her the funds with which she was then able to seize the moment and make her own
personal purchase since she had her Illinois foid card with her. She gets to pick it up the next day or so.
She was one happy girl and we are darn proud of her and happy for her.
The orange hat really looks good on her behind our show booth. O0 She was more than thrilled to own her first rifle.
She is moving to Tennessee for graduate studies in a few weeks and Tennessee will be getting a serious advocate
to work future Appleseed events in that state. She loves Appleseed as much as we do. It is becoming
such a family affair eh? :-) Look out Tennessee y'all best pay attention to this gal and put her to work,
Tenacity n' Truth will put some fire into your Appleseed passion and program. :--- :--- :--- She is from Illinois! &)

Fred, you will be most pleased to know that we talked to at least six different people who made specific
mention of hearing about Appleseed in the Shotgun News paper. :) You  are almost an icon down there. O0

We are eager to hear what Missouri Brigade and Jungle George tell of their day in Belleville. This show will have really served the southern
part of our state and Missouri. Wish we could have been there for the second day. Wish Pappy could have been there. :(

Warmest regards,

Castle Mountain.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Missouri Brigade

I think the show went well.  It was good having Jungle George there.  The display looked good and we had a good stash of handouts.  I've found that it is harder to get a high volume of flyers handed out at a gun show table, but sometimes volume has to give away to face time and conversation.  We definitely met some good people.

I didn't bring a rifle, that is something I'll make sure to do in the future as I talked a lot about Tech Sights and GI Slings.  A visual would have been nice.  I think I will also have a map handy to show shoot locations and so people can show me where they are at as I often have no idea of the towns they are talking about.

A common question was, "When is a shoot near here?"  I mentioned that I thought another shoot at "Alton" was in the works, but to my knowledge it wasn't finalized.  I told folks to refer to the website and also to not be afraid to travel a bit.  There is a lot of interest in the area so we all need to to do what we can to get some more shoots scheduled and confirmed.

Feel free to move this thread to the gun show thread.

mtbrass

It all looked real nice. I wasn't able to promise a time to help but at the last minute was able to get there to at least meet some people. MB was at our shoot in Alton but I met Jungle George as I took my son with me and we wore our Appleseed tshirts.  Also, had people stop me and ask me what this was about looking at our shirts so that was a good feeling.  One of the vendors ask me what it was about on my way out and as he seemed interested I directed him to check the website and gave him a flyer.  I think you all did a great job but then I have kind of come to expect that as that is all I have seen from people involved with Appleseed. :)

Jungle George

It was a good day at Belleville I got serveral familes that will be at an AS and some military vets.  One family with three boys were leaving and the wife said "we need to go to this", so when the boss speaks they will be there.  Of course there were the few vets that said I know how to shoot.  I told some of them I too was in the army and I didn't learn to shoot till I went to AS.  As MB said we should have brought a rifle but we did okay and will improve.
   I got to meet MTbrass and son more good people, we made the firing line a little longer today.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Pappy

Hello Group; Well done folks, we are growing thanks to your efforts!!!! We are growing in the southern Illinois & St Louis areas... It takes a Team like we have here, Thanks to ALL who made the effort.. Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

mtclip

I thought the gun show was really fun.  mtbrass and i walked around.  Like MB said it would be good to have things to use as examples and the map would probly be helpful. Pictures could also be helpful but you guys did great.  O0
When the going gets tough, the tough grab their rifles.

Garand69

Folks, I'm sorry to say........ your terminology is all wrong....

It was not a "good show" &)

It didn't "go well" &) &)

IT WAS EXCELLENT!!! ^:)^ ^:)^ Your efforts bumped Chillicothe pre-regs to 24 and I don't even have my Yoots signed on yet!!!

Excellent work and that my freinds is how you push an event. THANKS Belleville Crew!! :bow:

This just in ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. two more phone call in the last hour from downstaters going to shoots because of the Belleville show, two more shooters for Chilicothe, and two more for Ottawa this weekend O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Mathias

The Belleville gun show is where I found out about Appleseed.  The people behind the counter or table were very informative.  Since then, I've become a memebr and have signed up for my first Appleseed.  Maybe soon, I'll be able to do some volunteer work and return the favor those nice folks at the Belleville gun show gave to me. Best, Mathias

Garand69

Quote from: Mathias on May 11, 2010, 09:00:20 PM
The Belleville gun show is where I found out about Appleseed.  The people behind the counter or table were very informative.  Since then, I've become a memebr and have signed up for my first Appleseed.  Maybe soon, I'll be able to do some volunteer work and return the favor those nice folks at the Belleville gun show gave to me. Best, Mathias

Welcome aboard Mathias O0
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Jungle George

Mathias,  I hoped you signed up in the great state of Missouri, as a border raider I was trying to get everyone to our state ( I can't believe those guys let me come to Illinois to help out, Heh heh) But if you didn't, you will still have a great time.  There are some good people there even if they live in Illinois.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Mathias

Hey JG.  Thanks for the invite.  I am going to the Osage Beach Appleseed June 19 and 20.  I don't know which state I signed up for but I'm beginning to see that Appleseed is really one big community anyway.  Meanwhile, I'm cleaning up my rifles and doing a little shooting at a couple of ranges to get prepared for Osage Beach.  Best, Mathias   

Jungle George

Alright Mathias!!  I will see you there.  If you don't have sling swivels on your rife you will need some 1 1/4" and a GI sling we have loners but you will want one after AS anyway.  Be prepared to meet good people and have a good time.

JG

Garand69

Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz

Jungle George

You must always be vigilant, there are pirates and border raiders everywhere.  The utmost importance is our country's liberty, you caught me this time but I will be back.  You got anymore gunshows coming up?

Keep on bailing brother,

JG