News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Effingham County Sportman's Club, Effingham, IL Aug 30-31, 2014

Started by olefido, August 31, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olefido

This weekend some great Americans gathered at the Effingham County Sportsman's Club near Effingham, IL to learn MORE about their history and their heritage with a little ;) rifle marksmanship thrown in. Shooters and instructors post your comments here.  :pop:
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

olefido

OK, I'll kick this pig. Great day on the range. Nice full line and everyone was enthusiastic and ready to learn. The weather didn't really know what it wanted to do. It went from being hot and humid to cloudy and breezy and back again all day on Saturday. I wasn't able to come back on Sunday but I really enjoy working with this crew. Mutti, RnR, KD, Polar Bear, and da Monkey. Nailer, RKBL, and outaammo, it was great to meet you all. Powder Blue and Quigley, you guys will go far and by bringing the whole family out, you do it right. Hope to see you all on the trail in the future.

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Powder Monkey

Another magnificent performance by a great team!! I am proud to serve with such a dedicated group.  Ole Fido listed everyone, so I will not try to remember them.  Sorry that Ole Fido, Outta Ammo, Nailer and RKBL were only able to be with us on Saturday.  So glad that Quigley Sharps and Powder Blue were able to join the crew.  It was special to finish the weekend on a High note when we added another Orange Hat, the freshly minted Rifleman, but unnamed Bride of Quigley Sharps.  Congrats to her and Jonathan for showing, "There are those among us who know what they are about."

With everything there are challenges and the leadership showed ability to adapt and overcome at several levels.  We were able to help a young man deal with some special challenges and have a great experience on Sunday.  I do not know which was more fun helping and watching him, or watching his Grandpa observe the goings on with obvious satisfaction. 

The Effingham Sportsman Club is a great facility run by some super people.

Loved to see the creativity and ability to improvise on the part of the participants, especially Kurt's "7-11 X-tra Large Slushy Straw" speed loader.  I am expecting to see a patent application soon!

The camaraderie and teamwork that grew over the weekend, and the new friendships made are very special indeed.

Looking forward to having Chuck, Kurt, Tyler, Hollianne, Olivia, Jordan, and all the rest join us for another Appleseed, make Rifleman or get another step closer, and maybe they and we can bring a friend or two.
So you're still a cook?  Hey, at least you are here, which is a whole lot better than everyone else not here.  PERSEVERE!  You WILL  succeed!

Mutti

Saturday morning, 15 enthusiastic Americans showed up to enjoy the History, Heritage and Marksmanship. They were prepared to work and work they did - absorbing information some had not heard before and applying the blocks of Instruction with dedication. Sunday had 11 return with 1 young man new to the group. We began again to "drink from the fire hose."

We could see the Strikes touched a cord in a few hearts this weekend as some leaky eyes appeared - Instructors included. We as the Posterity of the Founding Fathers did well to their Memory this weekend.

Father/Son team Charles and Quentin worked through some early issues with equipment improving their groups over 100%.
James/Jimmy/Mike, while only able to attend Saturday - took to the SHFs as if they'd seen them before.
Eric/Tyler had returned from Sparta 2013. Eric continued to show the Rifleman instructing that the Patch he earned last year was well imbedded in his memory. Tyler - so close and yet the gears need to drop in place. Fine job this weekend.
Jonathan/Kurt - What can I say. Not a course of fire defeated the American Spirit wrapped within your hands. Kurt - when you run out of Nephews - borrow someone elses and continue on the trail. We'd be proud to welcome you back again.
Logue Ladies - If the Women from 1775 could see your teamwork, attention to detail and dedication - there would be no doubt that you are "Women who know very well what they are about."
Jordan - Opa said it and I will too "That's my Boy."  New equipment, different modifications to your Rifle - that new Ruger 10/22 50th Anniversary Rifle was made for a young man of your caliber. Each time I have the pleasure of seeing you on the line doing what you do best - Persistence is the word that comes to mind.
Bill/Nicholas - It took awhile, but finally you advanced to achieving the opportunity to utilize the Standing position. Thank you for your patience and willingness to listen closely to improve. Bill - We need more Grandfathers such as yourself. Stay the course and keep supporting him.  :)
Mike/June - You always turn up at the best-est times! While inspiring to see you instruct, it is also inspiring to see the return to the line.
-----
Some photos of the Event.

RnR using the Eagle Eye of a LB while Olefido the magic "fix it guy" gets it done:

RBKL in her bubble:

Mrs. A :

Red Coats Sunday Morning:

Mr. J :

I.M.C. - We have the Software working, now lets adjust the Hardware folks!

Left end of the line:

Powder Monkey with SHFs and Polar Bear as the Model. Look at the contact points - steady as a rock on the Transitions.

The Nailer in his bubble :

Weighing in as a Rifleman @ 217 we have Mrs. L - fine Job:

Followed up by Mr. J @218:

Renewed in spirit and dedication off of this fine Event, I encourage you all to remember that this is the first step to an incredible journey. When that muscle aches and the smile returns as the time together comes to mind - please recall that there are others in your Community and Family that will benefit from participating.

Whether a Libertyseed or Appleseed  - We'll see you all again on the trail!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RiflesnReins

Hello all,

Thank you for such a wonderful event! Each student added something special this weekend. I had the opportunity to work with the Louge family.

Olivia, you have such a bubbling personality. Keep working hard young lady, I see a Rifleman's patch and a funny colored hat in your future.

Hollianne, 187 , I mean 184 (since I cannot add) :slap:. That is really, really, close. You have the BEST seated position I have seen. Keep fine tuning! O0

Adrienne, congratulations and welcome to our Appleseed Family. I cannot wait to work with you again.

Mr. Kurt, I second Mutti's words, when you run out of nephews please borrow someone else's! You are persistent, one of the qualities a Rifleman must have.   

Jonathan, thank you for finally coming out to join us! Congratulations on making Rifleman. Hope you come to another Appleseed.

Tyler and Eric, what a pleasure to see you gentleman again. I appreciate that you both thought of attending again. I hope you both enjoyed the weekend as much as I did. 

Mike, Jimme and James, I am sorry you were unable to return Sunday. I did, however, enjoy working with you. Mr. Jimme has a great sense of humor.

Mr. Charles, you put your best effort in Saturday. It was a shame that the sun got to you on Sunday. I was impressed however, that you hung in there to support Quentin. That is what good family does. Thank you for coming out and bringing your grandson with you. I truly hope to work with you again.

Well, well, well. I know there was another attendee.......yes, I remember now. Quentin. Thank you for coming. Thank you for listening and absorbing the information we presented. I look forward to working with you again.

As always, thank you to all of the Instructors. I learn from each one of you. Mr. Kruger, you have a beautiful. Thank you for allowing us to camp out on your range.

RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

RiflesnReins

"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

Wood Chuck

I want to thank Sharon and all of the volunteers for the training that was offered over the weekend.  As a history buff and supporter of the Second Amendment (the others too), I believe this is an event that should be attended by more people.  I for one will try to get some family members together to go to another event.  I apologize to the staff for getting ill and keeping their attention from the task at hand.  But I also want to thank you all for helping Quentin.  I will work with him on the fundamentals and attempt to get both of us ready for the next one.

Thanks again to all

Wood Chuck

P.S.  The name idea came from Powder Monkey when he kept yelling, "you're dragging wood Chuck!"

AK

Congratulations to the new Riflemen. Adrienne, that orange hat looks great on you. Looking forward to working with you soon.  ^:)^
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

Powder Monkey

Quote from: Wood Chuck on September 03, 2014, 02:19:13 AM
...Wood Chuck

P.S.  The name idea came from Powder Monkey when he kept yelling, "you're dragging wood Chuck!"

WOW I am so proud to have inspired your name!!!  O0

Seriously, glad you came!  It is good to have a new friend!  I am confident that with the heat being more cooperative, you will have lots of success!  You had a lot of improvement on Saturday!  By the end of the day, I am not sure you qualified for you name any more, and you consistent groups showed it!

Looking forward to seeing you next time!
So you're still a cook?  Hey, at least you are here, which is a whole lot better than everyone else not here.  PERSEVERE!  You WILL  succeed!