Author Topic: 1776 Rollout and Training Materials  (Read 831 times)

Offline armaborealis

• Inactive Instructor
1776 Rollout and Training Materials
« on: September 01, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »
All,

DreamerOfDreams and I have been putting together some materials to tell the 1776 story.  If you haven't checked the main AS forums, the National Coordinator recently put out the word about 1776.  While obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat, we're here to help you learn one way to tell that story.

FOREWARD FROM FRED

I'm going to steal some words from the National Coordinator here to explain why we're rolling this out now:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=42267.0

So I'm gonna suggest we fortify ourselves in the manner of the founders, and learn to persist in spite of all. And that we do the same thing with our students. We teach 'em fortitude by telling a new story on Sunday.

So we toughen them up on Sun with another emotional slam, this time with a story we'll call the "Spirit of '76", or How to Behave in the Times That Try Men's Souls. The core message is It - Victory - Won't Happen Without Commitment and Dedication. And Commitment is not "doing what you want to do, when you want to do it". Commitment is exactly the opposite: Doing what you don't want to do, when you don't want to do it. The difference is the exact difference between "the summer soldier and sunshine patriot" and "he who stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman alike". Those words are as true today as they were in 1776.

Another, succinct way to put it: Never Give Up! Never!

Again, we take our lesson from our forebears: After the initial excitement and enthusiasm of April 19th, followed by Bunker Hill, the British evac of Boston, and the Dec of Independence comes the long, hard trudge of the defeats in New York, the retreat across New Jersey, the fading of the army, the gloom and despair of Dec 1776. (Likewise in Appleseed: After the heady excitement of doubling every year for the first 4 years comes the long trudge thru the hard times, the times that will try our souls.)

It's when times are darkest - "the times that try men's souls" - that you find out who the real patriots are. That's when the sunshine patriots leave...and a few of us stay.

"The Spirit of '76" as a presentation is still being worked out. Like the Three Strikes, it is a mixture of history and education as to what it means to be an American, and what is required, if one aspires to be an American in the footsteps of the founders. For me, it contains more possibilities for inspiration than the original Three Strikes, but YMMV.

Naturally, as a volunteer, incorporating the new story into your Sunday AS is voluntary, but I hope you will consider doing it. After the first time or two, it will be as comfortable as the 3 Strikes are, now.

(BTW, while telling "The Spirit of '76" may require more effort - there's a new story to learn - it will strengthen the impact of the program by ramping up the history while lowering the round count. We'll get not one chance to cast a harpoon in their hearts, but two!)

ABSTRACT
Following the skirmishes at Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts on April 19, 1775, the spirit of resistance swept Britain's colonies in America.  This outline explores the critical period of 1775-1776.  It outlines the victory at Boston, the soaring ideals of the Declaration of Independence, the crushing colonial defeats in New York and New Jersey, and culminates with Washingon's desperate gamble in December 1776 on the banks of the Delaware.

THEMES:  THE SPIRIT OF 1776
The "Spirit of 1776" holds a special place in American mythos.  This spirit has been referenced by artists, judges, historians, and many other Americans.  Our challenge is to share the true story of 1776, from its soaring declarations of freedom and human dignity in the early rosy days of summer to the abject crisis where lives, fortunes, and sacred honor hung in the balance during the waning twilight of the darkest days of the year.

This tale encompasses three broad themes:  the ringing clarion call of the Declaration, perseverance through Crisis, and resolve to see things through Liberty or Death.  The common thread through all is that of choices.  Men chose to sign the Declaration of Independence, and the soldiers in the field supported it and chose to stay and fight.  Storytellers are encouraged to read the primary and secondary sources, ponder the themes of 1776 for themselves, and frame the story in a brief but powerful manner for their students.  To the maximum extent possible, we have chosen to let the words of those who were there speak for themselves through primary sources, and minimize "preaching" or "pontificating."

FORMAT NOTES
Each portion of the story should take about 20 minutes to present to your students, resulting in a total presentation time of about an hour.  Each portion is in turn split into three or four guideposts, which means a pacing of about five minutes per guidepost is about right.  Within each guidepost, you will notice several opportunities for "excursions."  The wise storyteller will practice each portion of the story and determine if they have time to include an optional excursion.  Additionally, there are many opportunities to expand upon the portions presented here.  Storytellers are encouraged to weave in characters, stories, or other events which interest them and their students.  This outline is intended as a guide, not a straightjacket.

Here is the outline of the entire presentation:

LIVES, FORTUNES, AND SACRED HONOR
BUNKER HILL
THE GUNS OF TICONDEROGA & EVACUATION OF BOSTON
DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

CRISIS
LONG ISLAND
NEW YORK
FOX CHASE
CRISIS

LIBERTY OR DEATH
THE CROSSING
TRENTON
ASSUNPINK CREEK
PRINCETON

THE SPIRIT OF 1776 - POSTSCRIPT

ROLLOUT NOTES
Each week you can expect DreamerofDreams or I to post some materials for you.  Next week, expect our full outline, which you can use as a roadmap for each guidepost.  Each week thereafter, we will post materials for each guidepost until we have walked the whole trail together.  In general, you can expect the following materials for each guidepost.
1)  DreamerOfDreams' essay-format full text notes for the Guidepost.
2)  An MP3 pod-cast style audio recording of the Guidepost.
3)  Any visual aids we have found useful.
4)  If we can figure it out in time and do the post-production, a video-style presentation.

There are twelve guideposts so you should have everything by the time around New Year's, when Washington crossed the Delaware himself -- potentially faster if we can double up any weeks.

Next week -- the full outline and a suggested reading list!
Rifleman - 1 July 2012 - Gaston, SC
KD Qual - 27 September 2014 - Elberton, GA

Offline armaborealis

• Inactive Instructor
Re: 1776 Rollout and Training Materials
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »
Attached to this post you can find my full outline for the 1776 presentation.  This is a road map for the next few months as we roll out more materials.  DreamerOfDreams has been doing a great job putting together the above described materials (she's even got the movie maker software fired up!) and we hope the products will be useful.

Just to emphasize -- the 1776 story is not a replacement for the April 19 heritage we are already familiar with.  It is another tool in your toolbox to wake sleeping Americans.  There are many venues where it might be successful; just a few ideas:
- LibertySeeds
- Day 2 of a 2-Day event
- The heritage portion of an "advanced" or KD type event where all the participants have heard the original story already
- Winterseeds
- Many more...

Please note the suggested reading at the end of this document, in particular:
Fischer, D.H. (2003). Washington's Crossing. New York: Oxford University Press
McCullough, D. (2005). 1776. New York: Simon & Schuster
Wood, W.J. (1990). Battles of the Revolutionary War: 1775-1781. Chapel Hill: De Capo Press.

Offline Pain Killer

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Ramseur 2/12
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
Great work guys! When will be the first event for this material?
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
Armaborealis and I will definitely be presenting the entire 1776 at the Ramseur KD shoot in November, and I know Fisherdawg has some events planned in January as well.  We will likely be doing part of 1776 at the October shoot in Gaston, SC as well as any other time that we can come up with.

Additionally, if there is interest from instructors in the area, we'd be willing to do a little "heritage boot camp" for anyone who wants to show up.
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

Offline Pain Killer

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Ramseur 2/12
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:25:58 PM »
Great! I'm SB for that event in November, so I know who will be doing the Strikes. Can't wait to hear them in person with the passion I know you two will put into it!

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Offline Moylan

• Shoot Boss
  • Pistol Instructor

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »
Armaborealis and I will definitely be presenting the entire 1776 at the Ramseur KD shoot in November, and I know Fisherdawg has some events planned in January as well.  We will likely be doing part of 1776 at the October shoot in Gaston, SC as well as any other time that we can come up with.

Additionally, if there is interest from instructors in the area, we'd be willing to do a little "heritage boot camp" for anyone who wants to show up.
Strong interest in a BC here.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the shoot in November!
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Offline Smurf

• Inactive Instructor
  • New Bremen 06/22/12 Full Distance KD 216
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:37 AM »
I just downloaded and printed this off.

You all did a fine job with this.

Thank you.

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
Lives, Fortunes, Sacred Honor
Part One: Bunker Hill

Please remember that the 1776 story is intended to be divided into three parts, just as we divide the three Strikes of the Match.  For the purpose of this roll-out, we are further subdividing each of those three parts.  This is part one of three for the first segment, "Lives, Fortune, Sacred Honor."

The following are attached to this post or linked to below:

*Essay format full text version of Bunker Hill
*Two MP3 audio versions of Bunker Hill as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams
*Two video version of Bunker Hill as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams with visual aids
*Folder containing visual aids

Video by Armaborealis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrgpDt_9l0&feature=youtu.be
Video by dreamerofdreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1m0EEUA4G4&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:06:01 PM by dreamerofdreams »

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
Part Two: Guns of Ticonderoga

*Essay format full text version of Guns of Ticonderoga
*Two MP3 audio versions of Guns of Ticonderoga as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams
*Two video version of Ticonderoga as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams with visual aids

Video by dreamerofdreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUZy4mOM1T0&feature=youtu.be
Video by Armaborealis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCQFXBgVY9s&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 02:04:58 PM by dreamerofdreams »

Offline slim

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »

Can you record this and post it to YouTube?

Offline armaborealis

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »

Can you record this and post it to YouTube?

We should be able to do audio.  DoD is a musician and thus has a high quality audio recorder.  Not sure about video, but we are dropping a YouTube of each segment (plus a MP3 "podcast") each week.

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
VIdeo can be done but won't be the best quality unless someone else has access to something better than my little point and shoot camera.

Offline Shooter30-06

• Instructor
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »
Twice here in Illinois I have presented a 20 to 30 minute version of the Spirit of 1776.  I quickly summarize how the euphoria of the evacuation of Boston and the Declaration of Independence was replaced by a sense of despair and pessimism after the defeats in New York and the disintegration of the Continental Army.  The bulk of the presentation is The American Crisis and the victory or death battle at Trenton as taken from DHF.  I make a special point of mentioning Dr. John Riker and how this last minute volunteer saved the life of future President James Monroe.  This ties nicely into our weekend long message that individual action by citizens can make a difference.

I believe this 20 to 30 minute version is very flexible in terms of fitting into the scheduling of the Shoot Boss as well as the time limitations of a Libraryseed. 
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

Offline armaborealis

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »
Twice here in Illinois I have presented a 20 to 30 minute version of the Spirit of 1776.  I quickly summarize how the euphoria of the evacuation of Boston and the Declaration of Independence was replaced by a sense of despair and pessimism after the defeats in New York and the disintegration of the Continental Army.  The bulk of the presentation is The American Crisis and the victory or death battle at Trenton as taken from DHF.  I make a special point of mentioning Dr. John Riker and how this last minute volunteer saved the life of future President James Monroe.  This ties nicely into our weekend long message that individual action by citizens can make a difference.

I believe this 20 to 30 minute version is very flexible in terms of fitting into the scheduling of the Shoot Boss as well as the time limitations of a Libraryseed.

A mini-version is totally fine.  We figured if we put out lots of materials which allow three "strikes" in 15-20 minute chunks for a structure that parallels the April 19 presentation it is relatively easy to trim down.  It is nearly always easier to cut stuff out of a lesson plan (or to just trim it down and summarize) than to try to add more....  to cut it down, you just need a sharpie to cross out stuff you intend to skip over, but to add more you need to do research and prep (harder in the field on the fly!).  These materials are meant as an aid to assist others, not as handcuffs or "the only one way."  I'm happy to hear that you've ops tested a format that works!

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
Part Three: Declaration of Independence

This is the final part of "Lives, Fortunes, Sacred Honor."  Stay tuned for Crisis next week!

*Essay format full text version of Declaration of Independence
*Two MP3 audio versions of Declaration of Independence as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams
*Video version of Declaration of Independence as told by dreamerofdreams
*PFD full text version of "Lives, Fortunes, Sacred Honor"

Video by dreamerofdreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqFomvFek4&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:54:22 PM by dreamerofdreams »

Offline AuntieBellum

• Inactive Instructor
  • Davilla Eleven-Ten
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »
Would you kindly post PDF files instead of/in addition to the docx files? I do not currently have MS Office, and I can open PDFs on all my devices. Thanks!
P.S.The YouTube examples are great so far! Have we posted these on the Facebook page yet?

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 10:31:50 AM »
Would you kindly post PDF files instead of/in addition to the docx files? I do not currently have MS Office, and I can open PDFs on all my devices. Thanks!
P.S.The YouTube examples are great so far! Have we posted these on the Facebook page yet?

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll talk to armaborealis about converting to PDFs, I don't think I know how to do it off the top of my head, but I'm sure we can figure it out!

The youtubes have not been posted to FB yet, for the moment they are intended for internal consumption.

Offline Uncle Davey

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
This is all totally awesome because I'm a history dude and love this stuff. Are we talking about doing this at an Appleseed or a different event?
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
Davey, there are a lot of ways you can use this material.  This is not intended to take the place of the April 19th story at your typical Appleseed.  However, LibertySeeds, KD shoots where attendees have already been to an Appleseed, special Winterseed shoots, Bootcamps, perhaps, might all be good places to use the 1776 story.  Condensed versions might also be told on Sunday at a normal Appleseed.

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Crisis
Part One: None to Blame but Ourselves

*Essay format full text version of None to Blame but Ourselves
*Two MP3 audio versions of Guns of Ticonderoga as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams
*Two video version of Ticonderoga as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams

Video by dreamerofdreams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGy0H96Reus&feature=youtu.be
Video by Armaborealis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOHy4m0PswQ&feature=youtu.be

*Note: As requested, I have updated a previous post (Part 3 of Lives, Fortunes, Sacred Honor) to include a PDF version of "Lives, Fortunes, Sacred Honor."  I will continue to update with future PDFs as we conclude each section.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:42:47 PM by dreamerofdreams »

Offline Uncle Davey

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »
Ok, ten-4
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Offline dreamerofdreams

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »
Crisis
Part Two: Fortune Frowns

*Essay format full text version of Fortune Frowns
*MP3 audio version of Fortune Frowns as told by Armaborealis
*Two video version of Ticonderoga as told by Armaborealis and dreamerofdreams

Video by dreamerofdreams: pending
Video by Armaborealis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2_wOGoNNRU&feature=youtu.be

Offline armaborealis

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »
All -- history will resume next week or the week thereafter as scheduled.

We were on the Appleseed trail last weekend, are dealing with the PC project and an illness in the family this weekend, and will be travelling next weekend.

I apologize for the delay.