Author Topic: Membership benefits?  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Long Shot

Membership benefits?
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
This is my first time posting here, I am a new member of the RWVA, just joined the forum and just received my riflemans patch at my 2nd shoot. I know that their are many benefits of membership as far as the CMP goes but I was wondering if since I joined the RWVA does that allow me to go to another shoot without any additional charge? Thanks for the help.
Why do I have firearms?........Just in case some one needs to be shot.

Offline 2 clicks low

• Inactive Instructor
Re: Membership benefits?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
We are a non profit all volunteer program.
The fee is very cheap, $60 for two days of the best instruction around. $20 for kids.
At one time we tried the member shoots free thing and almost went under as we didn't have the resources to cover our expenses.

I do have a solution, take a hat and join us in telling the story and teaching marksmanship. We can always use the help.

2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Offline Long Shot

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the answer. It seem as though it was financially feasible to offer free shoots to members.

What would be required of me to help at shoots?

Offline Long Shot

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:37 PM »
Correction - NOT financially feasible, sorry.

Offline FiremanBob

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:06:32 PM »
Long Shot, thanks for being so interested, and congratulations on doing so well. Your question, what is required to help at shoots, can be answered by what you saw your instructors doing at your Appleseeds.  Your first step would be to volunteer as an Orange Hat - Instructor in Training. We have a fairly rigorous program in which IITs progress towards Red Hat - Full Instructor status, learning our best marksmanship teaching practices and methods, as well as how to teach the history along the way. The skills required to teach well are quite different from those required to shoot well, and it starts with your own desire to teach. Your first step would be to decide whether you want to do it.

If the teaching isn't your thing, but you still want to be involved in shoots, you can take a Blue Hat; these are non-instructor volunteers. Setting up the range, checking in students at registration, and Safety Officer duties on the line are parts of what Blue Hats do.

Finally, away from events, you can do a huge amount of good by promoting Appleseed within your community, helping to get new students to come to a shoot and enjoy the experience you had.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Offline Long Shot

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
Ok thanks I will talk to my wife about this and we will decide of if it is best for us to invest the time into this. If I do decide to do this should I just contact the Shoot Boss at my next shoot or is there some one else?

Offline 2 clicks low

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »
You got it.
Start with your shoot boss.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Offline slim

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:56:29 PM »
I was told a long time ago, "You'll learn just as much instructing as you will shooting." That was incorrect. I learned WAAAAAAY MORE as an instructor than I ever did as a shooter.

Thanks for your consideration in coming out to lend a hand. We need you. America needs you!

Offline greyfox

• Inactive Instructor
  • ...thoughts from the Pigeon River Valley
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »
Ditto everyone's thoughts above. Underline slim's comments. They mirror Stephen Covey's oft repeated and paraphrased admonition that if you want to learn how to do something well, learn to teach it, 

Once you start on the long road toward full instructor, every moment shooting, every moment watching others shoot, every moment watching others teach others to shoot and every moment listening to, thinking about and telling the stories about this great country's birthing will teach you more about our nation's heritage than most folks, the majority in fact, have even remotely given contemplation to. Therein lies the fundamental challenge. It is time for folks across the nation to consider our heritage, to walk in the shoes of those who have walked before us and then take positive action in their communities.   

So one of the things you learn rather quickly is that every step forward...like scoring rifleman...is not the end of anything...just the preface for the next step forward.   

This is a huge commitment...if you take it seriously. Not just for you but for your family. But at this juncture in history, each of us, if we care about America, has a responsibility to choose at least one thing that we can try to do effectively to help save it from terminal ignorance and apathy. If not Project Appleseed, then something else. Something you care about and something you can do well. 

Please give this serious consideration. These are serious times. And, congratulations on scoring Rifleman.

Loren   

Offline Long Shot

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
Ok thanks for all the help guys.

Offline Valkyrie7

• Retired Applecore
  • "... if they want a war, let it begin here!"
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 12:09:54 PM »
OR ... consider getting your wife involved! That's how my husband got my support for the investment in becoming a red hat and soon to be Shoot Boss  ;D
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies. ~ Annie Oakley

Offline stoneknives

• Shoot Boss
  • Charter Pistol Instructor

• Teach More Than Just Marksmanship
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
OR ... consider getting your wife involved! That's how my husband got my support for the investment in becoming a red hat and soon to be Shoot Boss  ;D

BTW did he ever get you the new rifle promised...
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." Me

"I stand with the mission, Sir" phenry

This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply.