News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Battle Road Touring...

Started by Earl, August 01, 2014, 11:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

have a family matter in Rhode Island around 4 September of this year. :cool2: That is a major move across country and an opportunity to tour Battle Road like on 6 or 7 September of 2014. I figure the town will be closed up for the locals, but worth a try. I also looked to see if there are Appleseeds in MA, CT, or RI before or after... nothing mentioned on TIPS.  Anyone have some interest in walking and talking me around or meeting somewhere? I understand there is a special Battle Road tab, I just have to have one... ha, ha, ha! ::)

Now, to get out and break the piggy bank to cover costs... opportunity knocks, and one opens the door and goes out or one misses the whole day....
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

lupis42

Not sure of my availability that weekend, but one of us should be able to give you a decent tour. 

Also, there is an Appleseed the following weekend, Sept 13-14, in Leyden, MA
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

Earl

My wife, son and I went up to Battle Road, and the day was great. We were there on 5 September, a beautiful day.
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

Lonestar6

Wow, what a beautiful day for you and your family!

Any advice for the rest of us Appleseed tourists? I am planning to work in a Battle Road visit for my family the end of this month when we go east.
President Reagan is quoted as saying 'There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don't care who gets the credit.' This is a valid observation, and a powerful tool.

LesMoore

We will be traveling to Boston in about 2 weeks.  It is a work related trip for JPL, but we will have lots of time for touring!!  Battle Road is at the top of our list.  Any advice?  And, will we be able to tour all of the battle road trail in 1 day?  I think we are planning to take our bicycles to ride instead of walking the trail.

Leslie

The Old Guide

You can do it in a day on bicycles, but I recommend you walk down the road from Major Buttrick's lawn to Concord Bridge and walk up the hill where the Redcoats broke and ran back toward the village of Concord.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Nero

Go early!  If you're at North Bridge before 9:30 or so you will beat the tour buses.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

RangeRat

Go stand on the Green opposite the Rock, close your eyes and take a moment for reflection.  Imagine the sounds, the smells, and hearts beating mightily.  It wasn't a faceless conflict in those days...

RR

LesMoore

Great, thanks for the advice.  So much history to take in!!  I can't wait.. we are leaving home (Western KY) on Saturday.  We are probably going to go to Gettysburg on our way to Boston.

Leslie