News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ruger 10/22 Sporter with wood stock

Started by jerryshurt, July 20, 2014, 06:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryshurt

Hello, first off I am new to the forum.  I am planning on brining my Daughter to an Appleseed event.  She wants her own rifle and has chosen the Ruger 10/22 Sporter.  Appleseed used to have a link to places that would make good deals on rifles.  I can not find it anymore.  I have discovered that the Sporter, with wood stock, is hard to find.  The prices vary widely.  Any suggestions on where I might find one for a reasonable price?

email:  jshurt138@gmail.com

Jerry

FiremanBob

Jerry, I don't know about a link to discount prices, but if you have a good local shop they can check the distribution channel and order one for you.

Has your daughter tried the Sporter for size? It is one of the longer stocks with a length of pull (distance from buttstock to trigger) of 13.9". Depending on how big your daughter is, she might be happier with the shorter length of the carbine 13.50". Doesn't seem like much, but it makes a big difference in comfort reaching the trigger.

You also may find a better deal on a used one in the classifieds on either carolinashootersclub.com or ncgunowners.com . It's a sad fact that the new production (2013 and later) 10/22s don't have the same quality as the older ones. You and she might be happier with an older 10/22.
Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Charles McKinley

Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Kosciusko

Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Dicks sporting Goods, Fleet Farm and your local regional chain all run specials on 10/22s during the year.

Check their websites, sign up for their e-mail flyers and you will find one.   

Your local pawn shop can have good deals on very lightly used 10/22s

right now, these guys have specials going on, they discount 10/22s several times a year

http://www.cdnnsports.com/email-specials.html?limit=60

You need to have a friendly FFL to receive for you (who may charge $5-20 and up for their service), plus shipping.  Many of the jobbers maintain lists of cooperating FFLS.

k

Charles McKinley

Kosciusko,

Your FFL is much friendlier than around here.  $35 to receive and internet purchase and about $25 to run the check.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

jerryshurt

Thanks guys for your info.  I was able to order one using http://www.galleryofguns.com/ and clicking on gun genie.  We will be picking up her new Sporter in a couple of days.

Kosciusko

Quote from: Stand on July 21, 2014, 11:07:44 PM
Kosciusko,

Your FFL is much friendlier than around here.  $35 to receive and internet purchase and about $25 to run the check.

a $60 bump over internet pricing?    Ouch!

To be fair, I did graduate high school with my FFL  guy and tutor him thru the math portion of his tool and die apprenticeship.

the local pawnshop charges  $20 for a receive/transfer, including 4473 paperwork and phone call

call and give  the internet jobber your zip code and they may be able to find an FFL who's a bit more reasonable, even if means a 30-mile drive down the road

k