News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla Boot Camp 1108

Started by metalbot, November 06, 2008, 09:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Fred on November 13, 2008, 11:01:30 PM

There's a safety issue in Pic #11 that all of you need to know about. Look at the crooked line, with some people out in front of others.

It may not look like much, but being just that far out of alignment means that the shooters out in front are much closer to entering the 45 degree safety cone of their neighbors muzzles than they think - and than they should be.

It doesn't look as near unsafe as it is.

So it will fool you. Take it from me, as it took some time (and observation) on the Appleseed Trail before I understood - being out "in front" like that - even a little bit - means the next guy's muzzle has to travel a LOT less in your direction to sweep you.

When you're watching a bunch of people on the line, you don't need that safety margin to suddenly turn razor-thin on you. And having people out front of the general line is a fast way to have the safety margin turn razor thin on you - and you don't even know it!

Remember, each of you, and all the rest of us, that it takes only one slip, one accident...

Point taken.

If it is the picture of the woman with the large hat, I did address that issue with that shooter.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

BDG

Howdy fellow Appleseeders. As per metalbot's suggestion at the beginning of this thread, I have created my handle as such. (Did the Baltic Dry Index really get you thinking that much?) I've gotten a couple of selected photos online for your perusal representative of the BC we just had in Davilla. Kudos to the instructors and shooters. I shall post my AAR as time permits a bit later, as I would like to post a thorough rendition.

Without further ado, here are some photos:

A Rifleman looking fondly on at the line, expecting a new Rifleman to step forth from the ranks!

Shooters scoring their targets at the KD range from their 300 yard shots:

Corbin Bernsen Scout, our fearless leader, looking on fondly at his young students, absorbing oh so important information:

JB having successfully instructed the audience on the proper installation of a loop sling (buckle out!):

Some of the crowd of shooters learning about loop slings:

One of the ongoing jokes of the whole week, despite this gentleman showing up AFTER the jokes were already being cracked:

My complete photo set is about 90, but many of them are poor shots or repetitious. So, just the highlights for ya!
Additionally, here are a couple of vids I shot and stuck up on YT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXWmOh8KEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA4c7-nvYEo
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

MeanStreaker

What great pics!  Thanks for sharing.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Fred

Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on November 13, 2008, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: Fred on November 13, 2008, 11:01:30 PM

There's a safety issue in Pic #11 that all of you need to know about. Look at the crooked line, with some people out in front of others.

It may not look like much, but being just that far out of alignment means that the shooters out in front are much closer to entering the 45 degree safety cone of their neighbors muzzles than they think - and than they should be.

It doesn't look as near unsafe as it is.

So it will fool you. Take it from me, as it took some time (and observation) on the Appleseed Trail before I understood - being out "in front" like that - even a little bit - means the next guy's muzzle has to travel a LOT less in your direction to sweep you.

When you're watching a bunch of people on the line, you don't need that safety margin to suddenly turn razor-thin on you. And having people out front of the general line is a fast way to have the safety margin turn razor thin on you - and you don't even know it!

Remember, each of you, and all the rest of us, that it takes only one slip, one accident...

Point taken.

If it is the picture of the woman with the large hat, I did address that issue with that shooter.

It's the two shooters beyond her who are so clearly out of alignment...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Scout

This is a constant concern for me when I have a line I am running. Some people like to sit as far forward on their mats in stage two or stand as far back during the beginning of transition on stage two and three.

Line bosses and instructors need to constantly watch for this to happen.

I try to give them a demonstration of how dangerous it makes them or their buddies when they do this. One half step back reduces a 90 degree turn to sweep into a 45 degree turn. A full step back on the mat turns the 90 degree into a 30 degree and standing at the back of your mat with the person next to you in the middle of theirs makes it a 15 degree turn. The equivelant of a relaxed sneeze, or simply turning your head to look at your neighbor to the right to fully sweep your neighbor to the left,(with a loaded chamber).

This makes having all instructors be focused on where people are on their mats and what they are doing before and during transition stage courses imperitive. Standing tight against the line during prep and transition and not letting their attention wander.

Taking a look at the line from one end during stage one is also a good idea. Making sure all shooters are at an equal position on the line to prevent them from setting up in a staggered formation.

Stage four positions should be checked also, but are less prone to violations as shooters have built a position in prone/prep and have no transition.     
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Grunt Medic

I'm attending an Army school, so unfortunately could not attend - thanks so much for the pics to keep my Appleseed Jones Fed!  My lady and I made it out in OCT, hopefully we'll do so again in DEC.  Thanks again!

'Doc'

cwa11is

Wow! This was a priceless experience. It was the first organized shoot that I ever attended.  The only objective I wanted to achieve was to learn fundamental marksmanship techniques.  I received that and so much more. The 3 strikes narratives really helped keep the focus on why we are doing this.  The personal one on one attention was outstanding. There is no way one could recognize there own mistakes without having someone who knows what they are doing watch them and pointing out problems.  I learned how to achieve and the importance of natural point of aim (npoa) as well as how far I can push my rifle before it needs to be cleaned.

Okay, This next part might seem like ass kissing, but it really deserves mention. 

I was only there for the weekend shoot and worked hard from sun up to sun down for only 2 days. Scout opens his property and is entirely involved in  history speeches, one on one instruction, and maintaining the range for the whole BC and does it enthusiastically every month!!!  He can never get too many "Hazzah's".   JB's  demonstrations were simple, yet very informative, easy to understand, and entertaining as well.  The other instructors were invaluable as well.  I can't remember all the names, but I do remember the faces. Paul helped me a lot with keeping my eyes open. 

A special thanks to Gooch, who taught me that a wood stove was much more than a hot box of metal. I also shot a few of his AQT targets by mistake and he didn't even punch me in the face!!!

It was a weekend full of learning, fun, and friend making. Like I said in the first place...priceless   $80 is nothing for what I received at Scout's place.

TheUpsetter

Hey there cwa11is.  You forgot to mention that you earned your Rifleman's patch on Sunday.  Nice shooting!

The boot camp and following Appleseed were unforgettable events for me.  Thank you so much Scout, JB, SNAITF, Doug, Voortrekker, LabRat, Didactic! 

I'll miss the Texas Cadre and all of my new friends from boot camp but will never forget the many excellent conversations and activities of last week.  Davilla!!  11-08!! 

So long, my new friends.  I cannot wait to meet you all again someday on the Appleseed trail.

_TheUpsetter... setting sail for Washington State....
"When matters are done leisurely, seven out of ten of them will turn out badly.  A warrior is a person who does things quickly." - Hagakure

Scout

Quote from: cwa11is on November 16, 2008, 08:13:14 PM
Wow! This was a priceless experience.
Like I said in the first place...priceless   $80 is nothing for what I received at Scout's place.

Did we say $80?.... what we meant to say was...umm...$150....yes... that's the ticket! ;D ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

Shrike

Sometimes the real world can get in the way of our plans and it sure did this time, with my job
not allowing me the luxury of the time off necessary to attend the BC, which broke my heart
(and apparently Didactic's too!), since I'd been planning for it since February.
Looks like it was a great weekend. Scout, good job on shaping up the KD range, as it looks
like it laid out much better than before. I'm looking forward to getting down to Davilla once
again soon.  Didactic, my prayers are with you, sir. And the gentleman on chemo, whose name
I always forget, but whose stories always capture my heart, my prayers are with you, as well.

I miss and love you all. Stay safe and stay sharp,

Shrike

voortrekker

Quote from: voortrekker on November 12, 2008, 10:46:02 PM

The flags of our forebearers were unfurled....... and bucked the prevailing wind with pride.

11-04-08

First morning at Davilla RBC

JB doing the First Strike Speech

One of our Red Hats, a U.S. Marine just got back from chemo infusion yesterday, he's back on the line.

RBC, the instruction continues.

Teaching Natural Point of Aim (NPOA)......using a inexpensive laser attached to a riflestock to demonstrate this IS an amazing tool to teach NPOA......heads up!

JB is making attendees think about the Six Steps...asking questions.

A Red Hat chomping at the bit....early in the morning...he's ready to forge Riflemen!!!!

The RBC 25 yard line.

Checking targets.

Scout and Didactic instructing

Other pics at 25 yard range.

KD day......400 yards....a picture.

KD range....600 yards......wind....3 mph.......12 o'clock.....75 F'....sun at 7 o'clock.......it don't get any better!

There was an AK shooter on the KD as well....he scored very well....he's not the average AK shooter BTW...... ;D

Driving the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile" to check the Dogs.........

Lastly, this is a pic of the weekend Appleseed attendees......OUR LIGHT.....it shines bright.

The American Remnant....lovers of our Republic.....lovers of freedom.....PLEASE........ go forth and do good work.

brett out.

"I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.  I know of now way of judging the future but by the past."
                    - Patrick Henry

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.