News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marion Road Gun Club, Macon, GA, 21 & 22 June 2014

Started by Guardian, June 20, 2014, 11:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian

Wow, what a weekend! We started Saturday with a welcome message that included a discussion of heat stress symptoms and first aid. We knew it was going to be HOT! Even still, I underestimated the heat. It was blistering and the humidity was the typical 99% (i.e., just shy of raining). What a group of Patriots to show up knowing the weather they would be facing.

Our welcome speech reviewed the great sacrifices made by our Forefathers, the point of the weekend being to learn our shared Heritage and learn the fundamentals of marksmanship. We heard what Thomas Payne had written in the pamphlet titled The Crisis circulated in April 19, 1777:

QuoteWere a man to be totally deprived of memory, he would be incapable of forming any just opinion; every thing about him would seem a chaos: he would have even his own history to ask from every one; and by not knowing how the world went in his absence, he would be at a loss to know how it ought to go on when he recovered, or rather, returned to it again. In like manner, though in a less degree, a too great inattention to past occurrences retards and bewilders our judgment in everything; while, on the contrary, by comparing what is past with what is present, we frequently hit on the true character of both, and become wise with very little trouble. It is a kind of counter-march, by which we get into the rear of time, and mark the movements and meaning of things as we make our return. There are certain circumstances, which, at the time of their happening, are a kind of riddles, and as every riddle is to be followed by its answer, so those kind of circumstances will be followed by their events, and those events are always the true solution. A considerable space of time may lapse between, and unless we continue our observations from the one to the other, the harmony of them will pass away unnoticed: but the misfortune is, that partly from the pressing necessity of some instant things, and partly from the impatience of our own tempers, we are frequently in such a hurry to make out the meaning of everything as fast as it happens, that we thereby never truly understand it; and not only start new difficulties to ourselves by so doing, but, as it were, embarrass Providence in her good designs.

We reviewed the safety rules; how to make our rifles safe; hangfires, misfires, and squibs; wrapping up with line commands. A Red Coat target indicated we had much room for improvement.

The fire hose was turned on and the information began to flow! Due to the heat, we spent a bit more time than usual on each topic in an effort to give adequate breaks for hydration and to take advantage of the shade. We covered sling use, steady hold factors (SHF) for prone and then fitted rifles, as needed. We progressed through the 6 Steps of Firing The Shot, Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, Inches/Minutes/Clicks, Natural Point Of Aim (NPOA), SHF for sitting and kneeling, SHF for standing, and transitions.

Our Heritage was shared by presenting the Three Strikes of the Match and random interjections throughout the day; while our benediction focused on the specific sacrifices of individuals, the debt that we owe our Forefathers, and ways to promote the ideals of Liberty.

Saturday afternoon, thunderstorms joined our party and we had to quickly clear and tear down the firing line. Thanks to all the participants for your assistance with this effort and adapting with us to the situation!

At the end of Saturday, one Rifleman had emerged! Congratulations to Wayne E. for achieving Rifleman with a score of 210. Roswell presented Wayne with his patch and the customary North River Bridge Water!

The youth participants (McKinley, Madison, Daniel, and Jeremiah) were presented the Luther Blanchard patch for their persistence throughout the day. Thank you! You are our future and, as such, our future is bright!  :bow:

We parted ways Saturday evening, slowly. We were all exhausted.

Sunday dawned and we arrived in great spirits in anticipation of an outstanding day. We reviewed the safety protocols in our welcome and heard more of Thomas Payne's writings, this time from the pamphlet titled The Crisis circulated in December 1775:

QuoteThese are the times that try men's souls. The Summer Soldier and the Sunshine Patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service to their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly; it is dearness alone that gives everything its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated. Britain with its army to enforce her tyranny, has declared she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner is not slavery, then there is not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.

We started with a squares target to facilitate zeroing, then rolled right into an AQT. Each stage of the AQT was preceded with a review of information presented Saturday.

At lunch, we heard stories of David Lamson, Elizabeth Zane, Samuel Whittemore, Nancy Hart, Samuel Prescott, Hezekiah Wyman, and Luther Blanchard. DrJohn then educated us on the Philosophy of Liberty.

We resumed practicing the fundamentals of marksmanship and applying our skills on AQTs. This was followed by a presentation on shooting at actual distance and implementing target detection, trajectory, range estimation, wind adjustments, and come-ups. Then we moved the firing line back to 100 yards, determined necessary adjustments by firing sighters, and then set to work making music with the steel target!

By the end of the weekend, two more Riflemen had emerged! Free W. achieved a score of 218 on the AQT followed by a score of 210 from Mark E., Wayne's brother. Mark received a bit of North Bridge water, just like his brother.

Free requested an Orange Hat and his daughter McKinley requested a Blue Hat! Thanks for stepping up and grabbing a bucket! Welcome to the bailing effort!

Throughout the weekend great improvement, persistence, and dedication were observed! Thanks to each of you for your efforts to strike a blow in the name of Liberty!

Britt, Mike M., Mike C., Madison, Chris, Danny, Taylor, and Matt: You showed the most improvement in first time attendees that I've ever seen. It was apparent that you were listening and implementing the information to the best of your ability. I was truly impressed with the effort each of you put forth!

Madison and Daniel, you did an admirable job of making do with the equipment you had. I've been there and understand the frustration of a rifle that doesn't fit. You stuck with it and did the best you could. Again, our future is bright with young people like you!

McKinley, you are a pleasure to have on the line and your spirit keeps things upbeat. You do better with a single shot bolt action than students twice your age or more are able to accomplish with a semi-auto. I can't wait to work with you again.

All, remember to dry fire, dry fire, dry fire! I promise that if you perfectly practice, you'll see the results at the next event.

Guardian

I only got a couple photos this weekend. Our designated photographer should have more posted within the next day or so. Thanks to Roswell for volunteering for that task!

Two Mikes

Guardian and Crew,

Thank you so very much for a great event on Saturday.

I learned a lot about our history, how to my shooting, and that the lowest possible temperature setting on the air conditioner in a Marriott Courtyard hotel room is 53 degrees.   

Saturday's heat hit me very hard, so much so that I was scared to return on Sunday.   I got back to my hotel and cranked up the air conditioner.   I took a cold shower, laid down on the bed and slept for 3 hours.   I was totally wiped out.   My headache had a headache and that headache felt queezy.

On Sunday morning,  I decided that it was better to be safe and not return out into the heat.  I didn't want to risk losing focus and hurting someone on the range or on the drive home (75 south of Atlanta is crazee).   

All is good now.   I'm feeling fine and made it home safe.    So much so that I've been practicing getting into a kneeling position and finding my NPOA in my air conditioned living room.   I learned a lot and am going to practice so that I'm ready for November's Appleseed.   

After thinking about the 3 Strikes Stories and the importance of true "martial art" rifle skills to our ancestors, I'm going to use my AR with a 22lr conversion kit and irons in November instead of my Steel Challenge rifle (which I love so much, is very accurate, and works 100% with the bulk ammo I have but it is not a martial art gun that gets left out in the sand, sun, rain, etc.).   

November will be better weather.  In Macon, the average temperature is 90 degrees in June and is a delightful 69 Degrees in November.     I checked the temperature on Sunday at 330PM and it was 93 degrees, which was 5 degrees hotter than Marietta which was 87 degrees.   

Regards,
Mike (the one with the 10/22 in the red stock)

PS: Dr. John, thank you for the Gatorade.  That helped me greatly.
Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

If you remove from people all ability to protect themselves, they will insist upon a police state, for their own safety.

MC

It WAS a great weekend! I'm so glad that I stumbled on Appleseed accidentally a few years ago. I forget what it was I was looking for, but I came upon an article called the Liberty Training Rifle. Something about the color OD green makes me tic - always has - and here was this picture of a Marlin 795 with an OD green web sling on it - and I started reading the article. Tech Sights, lead weight in the stock, trigger upgrades and then a  mention of Appleseed Project.

I immediately looked up this "Appleseed Project" and was happy to see that one was coming to Macon! I think it was the first one at Marion Road last November, but Im not certain. Doesn't matter. I came and had a blast and found out that while I knew a lot about guns and shooting(at least I thought I did) - and also a lot of military training - I did'nt know much about actually applying that training -- AT ALL!

I have learned so much at all the events, and I learned new things each different event. I have been to three (so far) Appleseed events and it took three for me to really understand and then see, feel and experience what I was taught.

And the instructors -- a great big US Navy Bravo Zulu to all of you!! Words cannot express the highest calibre of the instructors and volunteers I have had the priviledge to have met -- at all of these events. Dr. John, Gaurdian, Roswell, Goose, Brian, Fabricator - (my apologies for leaving anyone out - I think Im still suffering from that June heat too)  you are all just wonderful and amazing individuals!!

Shooting is fun and the instruction is so good I feel like I am cheating someone out of a lot of money - but it gets even better!!! The lessons about LIBERTY and the sacrifices made to have what we have in this great nation - that is just truly priceless. All of you do our founders proud!! I think I love the history just as much, if not a little more, than the shooting.

The way all of you present the history - with heart and feeling makes the weekend just absolutely over the top. I have always left these events feeling that I am so blessed to have been born an American and also to know such great people as yourselves.

Thank you just doesn't do justice, but thank you all.

With great sincerity,
-Mark E.
"If those in charge of our society - politicians, corporate executives, and owners of press and television - can dominate our ideas, they will be secure in their power. They will not need soldiers patrolling the streets. We will control ourselves." -Howard Zinn

Fabricator

Thanks to all the participants; not simply for being there, but for bringing your determination and teachable attitudes!  I look forward to seeing you all at upcoming events.  Congratulations again to our new riflemen AND volunteers!  In the meantime; look up the Appleseed "Rifleman's Challenge" online and either email some of your friends the link OR..... Print a few and challenge them in person. Lets see if we can bring a few of your friends and neighbors to the next event!   Without your help, the "ship" will sink!

Fabricator

�The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.�
- Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

freedomzxcv

I would like to thank Dr. John, Guardian, Brian, Fabricator, Goose and Ross for another great shoot. I'm again reminded how much there is to learn. Even though my goal of making rifleman this weekend was met, now that I have the patch, it feels less like an accomplishment and more like the first step of a much longer journey.
   I purchased Paul Revere's Ride and will try to immerse myself in the secret knowledge of the red hats for the future. I'm still not exactly sure what I signed up for but will try to live by the commitment I made this weekend.
   Many thanks for bestowing McKinley with her cherished blue hat. She slept in it last night and hasn't removed it today. If we never attended another seed, I think her experiences with appleseed would be remembered fondly for the rest of her life.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

General Stuart

My hat is off to all of you Instructors and shooters alike. These shoots are always memorable. Shooting in nice cool weather is easy and forgettable. This should leave a lasting impression. Sorry I missed it.
"I am resigned; Gods will be done."
Major General J.E.B Stuart

goose

It is rare that an AAR truly gets me to tears, but Senior Chief and Freedomzxcv took it to that level.  That is some powerful stuff there, Gentlemen.

It is an Honor, and I mean that with all my heart, to be among such blessed Patriots.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Guardian

Two Mikes - Thank you for looking out for your own well being. I look forward to working with you again at a future shoot.

Senior Chief - Thanks for your post. This is the best return any of us could hope for our investment. You aren't cheating anyone, we appreciate you taking full advantage of the opportunity and wish there were more just like you. We hope you'll join us by requesting an Orange Hat and helping our fellow Americans learn the importance of Liberty. Regarding the history, you are not alone. I went to the first Appleseed for the shooting. Every one I've attended since has been for the history! I still haven't heard it the same way twice. It means something different to each of us, yet stirs our souls similarly.

freedomzxcv - Thanks for sharing McKinley's story with us! You must be proud! I'm proud for both of you. I'm also proud of both of you for making the commitment to assist us. You are absolutely correct that Rifleman is just a first step down a long path. I can only tell you how fruitful and rewarding my own path has been and wish the same for you. Though the task before you may seem daunting, remember that Rifleman seemed that way at one time. Your persistence got you to that goal and it will get you to the next one too. Here's the great part, we're all still here to help!

brianf31

It was a pleasure to spend time with fellow patriots. Thank you for coming out and bringing such teachable attitudes.

Remember that 7th step: bring others back with you!
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

brianf31

More pics
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Two Mikes

Since I pooed out and didn't return on Sunday, I wasn't able to do the before and after comparison, I wanted to show you my improvement after Saturday's lessons.     This is the first target I shot in the morning when I was fresh.   It's diameter is 1.375 inches.

After the instruction, I shot this on the AQT.  It's diameter is 0.875 inches.  A 36% improvement.   What's amazing is that I was completely exhausted and my glasses were fogged up.   Occasionally the wind would pick up and defog my glasses and then I'd focus on getting a good NPOA.   I was essentially shooting in a cloud and yet I was getting hits.  Amazing stuff that works!

The skills I learned this weekend are priceless.  Thank you to all of the instructors!   

I'm an amateur history guy and I loved hearing the 3 strikes stories.   The importance of American Marksmanship skills in preserving Liberty can not be underestimated from the French and Indian wars to WW1 and WW2 and even today.   When I talk to people about gun-control and its history, I shock them when I tell them the first battle of Revolution was fought over gun-control.

Quotewhere you will seize and distroy all Artillery, Ammunition, Provisions, Tents, Small Arms, and all Military Stores whatever.
General Gage - April 19, 1775

Appleseed's mission is so very important to preserving knowledge of our history.  Thank you for all you do!

Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

If you remove from people all ability to protect themselves, they will insist upon a police state, for their own safety.

Guardian

Congrats Two Mikes on the improvement. I'm glad to see you were able to implement what you learned!

Roswell

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures!  The weekend wiped me out as well. Thank you all for coming out and for persisting. Huzzah! This was a great weekend and everyone was very receptive which made things so much easier. As Brian said, please continue to 7th step, we need your help bailing the ship out.

Special thank you to Senior Chief, Two Mikes & freedomzxcv for sharing your stories which all touched my heart in their own way. As Goose says, "You are my American Heroes".  People say we don't get paid, but those who do so clearly haven't read such reviews as yours.

I can't wait to see all of you again soon! (maybe when it's cooler  :cool2: )

Below are the pictures, again sorry for the delay. Enjoy!

Saturday:

The day began with a long line of eager Patriots (many of which already had their mats oriented correctly  O0 )

Then we moved over into the shade for the Opening Speech followed by our Safety review

The hot Georgia sun had us hopping from one oasis of shade to another in between each course of fire. Luckily, with the fire hose of information turned on, there was no shortage of instruction and history to be delivered. And everyone was constantly reminded, Hydrate!!! :DH:

Later we had some rain roll in fast and hard. Kudos to everyone as we all pitched in to make things safe before quickly moving under cover for the 3rd Strike by DrJohn.

As soon as the rain ended, the Georgia heat had it evaporating off the ground.  Not to be deterred, the shooters were eagerly back at it again.

Their efforts were rewarded when Wayne E. scored a 210 on his AQT! Huzzah sir!

I was honored to be able to pour the waters from the North Bridge River. It is a pleasure working with you sir. Think about changing that hat.  ;) Wayne was a good sport and grateful for the bath in that heat.  ;D

We also saw several future shoot bosses! You are our future and the future is in good hands. Huzzah to you all!

Guardian closed out the day with a great Benediction.

Sunday:

After a redcoat we decided to roll into our first AQT of the day, punctuated by instruction in the shade and hydration breaks as the sun was out again in full force.

On student, Taylor, elected to do a Seated-Prone position for Stage 2  **)

We had canopies deployed in full force and shifted some people around to maximize shade. The shooters were very appreciative (as were the instructors  ;) )

That afternoon we moved back to 100 yards for a great KD Presentation by Guardian. After that the students got their come ups and took turns shooting steel.

But, wait... did someone forget to put up a target...

There they are!

The day ended with not one, but 2 new Riflemen!  ^:)^

freedomzxcv scored a 218!

Senior Chief scored a 210 and got a baptism just like his brother! (And just like his brother, you are in the wrong hat sir!)

The day just kept getting better as freedomzxcv took up an orange hat to help bail out the ship,  Huzzah sir!  :bow:

Not to be outdone, his daughter, McKinley took up a blue hat. This instructor was seriously beginning to get some dust in his eyes at this point.  :'(

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Guardian

Roswell, thanks for obtaining and posting the photos!

CricketMaster

Hi this is McKinley and my dad let me join forum today:)

Guardian

Well, that is a very apt forum name! Good choice. Welcome!

CricketMaster

Roswell

Quote from: Guardian on June 24, 2014, 01:46:10 PM
Roswell, thanks for obtaining and posting the photos!

No problemo brother!

Congrats on the Blue hat CricketMaster! That is an apt name indeed! And there is no need to thank us for the hat; it is for us to thank you for taking up the cause. Your enthusiasm and persistence are an inspiration to us all. It was truly a pleasure working with you and I know I speak for everyone when I say, I look forward to it next time.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

DrJohn

Every Appleseed event is special, but this one was even more so for the enthusiasm of our gallant students, their stalwart persistence and determination, and the wonderful spirit of camaraderie and mutual support that seemed to permeate the event. It was especially gratifying to see the improvement in marksmanship in two short days, but most of all, the approval and admiration when we heard the true story of the day of our country's birth. Congratulations and huzza to all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Ramblin' Wreck

What a great bunch of patriot shooters and instructors. As hot as it was a score of 210 might have been a blessing on that day.  ;D

Huzzah to all.

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

goose

This was a remarkable weekend, as much or more so than we envisioned, and every ounce of effort--not to mention gallon of perspiration--was poured into each aspect of History, Heritage and Marksmanship.

Staying hydrated was essential, and it made a significant difference in all of us through the day Sunday.  Once again, the Igloo marine cooler paid for itself!

The spirit, encouragement and motivation was a two-way street between "Hats" and Students.

Patriots are forged in many ways, but this Appleseed was especially productive across everyone on the line.

As always, it is a precious Honor to be among all of you,

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken