News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manchester, TN May 24-26, 2014 (Appleseed & KD)

Started by Maximum Ordinate, May 27, 2014, 02:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

Good morning, everyone!

It was a fantastic Memorial Day weekend in Manchester, TN!

On Saturday, 26 shooters met to hear the message of Liberty and participate in some of the finest marksmanship instruction around.  The weather was warm, but we were blessed with great facilities (including a covered firing line) at the Highland Rim Shooter's Club range on Arnold Air Force Base.

Our shooters were greeted by our fantastic Applecore support, TejasLady.  We started the event Saturday with some introductions and a brief welcome by the SB (yours truly) and TnColonel (the Tennessee State Coordinator and VP of the HRSC).  After presenting (belated) awards to tnjay and Pete_102, we then jumped into the First Strike shared by Charlie (Tn_Dadx5).  After some safety discussion, we brought rifles to the line and began the day's instruction.  Instructors were down on the mats with shooters coaching and assisting most of the morning.  It was a pleasure to see such teachable mindsets among our students.  Sometimes it's tough learning new skills (or breaking bad habits), and I'm proud of everyone who worked through their frustrations with such positive attitudes.

The weather was the warmest it's been all year on both Saturday & Sunday.  We escaped the heat under the shade of the nearby pavilion and shooters were stuck listening to me share the Second Strike.   ;)  After our history, we went back to the line.  After some squares, we started to see there were some shooters who clearly knew what they were about!

Congratulations to the Saturday Riflemen: Greg, James, and Jeffrey!   We also had Andrewand David requalify!

Saturday wrapped up with the Third Strike and a benediction.  I would be remiss if I didn't announce the promotion of our newest Red Hat instructor, TnJay!  Well done and very well deserved, Jay.  Congratulations!

On Sunday, the shooters took the line by storm!  Five new rifleman:  James C, Colleen, Josh, and Jared all did well.  While I try not to pick favorites, I certainly enjoyed handing a purple patch to young Grayson.  He boldly told me early in the morning he was going to qualify... and he did with a 211.  Well done, young man!  We had multiple requalifiers that day, including Jared with a 233, Jeffrey with a 231 and James with a 216!

To the shooters at two-day clinic:  It was a pleasure to work with you.  It's our honor as instructors to have served you this weekend.  I hope that you'll share the message of Liberty with your friends and family, get involved in your own communities, and please come back with a friend!

-Rusty

P.S.  We'll add some pictures below.  The ones I post are courtesy of Tejas Lady.  If you'd like a full resolution version, drop me a note. 
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Maximum Ordinate

On Memorial Day, 18 shooters (some from the previous two days) and instructors met back at the HRSC Range for a day of KD instruction.  Folks came in from Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama to learn and teach!

As it was Memorial Day, we began by reading from the Bloody Butchery broadsheets and had a moment for the fallen of April 19th, 1775. 

Our goal with a one-day KD event was to help out shooters get a better understanding of trajectory and capture data on their rifle.  We began instruction by discussing the ballistics fundamentals and the three Challenges of a Rifleman:  Target ID, Range Estimation, and Making the Shot.  Ramblinwreck, Tn_Dadx5, and your humble author shared leading the discussion.  (Shooters were requested to print their ballistics tables based on the information for their personal rifle.)  After our discussions, we moved to the 25m range for some of the shooters to confirm zero of their centerfire rifle.  During lunch, we heard about the Forage Wars and had some discussion about people connected to April 19th.

After lunch, we moved to the beautiful 400y range.  At the 100y line, we conducted a range estimation exercise.  Shooters got the gather data about the width (in MOA) of their front sight or portion of their reticle.  Despite the high temperature of the year (approaching 90 degrees) and high humidity, all our participants maintained great attitudes!

As part of an exercise to validate the predictions of the ballstics table vs. actual shooting, our shooters shot sighter groups at 100, 200, 300, 400 yards.  They took the handouts provided during the instruction and marked their shot groups: predicted vs. actual.  When possible, shooters were encouraged to maintain COT holds to observe the effects of trajectory.  If holdovers were used, we stressed capturing that data. 

After capturing data, we moved into AQTs.  With 10 firing positions available, we shot in flights.  Everyone had the opportunity to get in two AQTs.  We had several shooters that were very close to qualifying KD... but I think most everyone achieved our goal of a better understanding of longer distance shooting and getting good data on our rifles.  I know a couple of shooters learned an important lesson about packing light when doing a KD shoot.   ;)

All-in-all, it was a very full day.  Despite heat and humidity - our shooters and my fellow instructors did a slugged it out all day on the range.  I'm proud of everyone who sacrificed the time to come out and experience what happens way beyond 25m!

We have another one-day KD event coming up over Labor Day.  Last I checked, there are still spots available... so don't wait to sign up!

in Liberty,
Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

jcluff

Rusty, thank you again to you and all of the other volunteers for coordinating this event.  My sons and I learned a lot and are looking forward to coming out again on Labor day.  Maybe we will stay for the KD clinic as well.

BTW, I am only a new Rifleman.  I have not yet earned the honor of re-qualifying. 

Thank you, however!  Grayson had a grin from pretty much the rest of the day Sunday and Monday.  Coleman is dedicated to getting his patch as well.  We will be out many more times.  I have five boys to train ;).

TN.Chaplain

Rusty, 

I just want to thank everyone for the great weekend of instruction.  The rifle training was top notch and it was really good to be reminded of our history.  Too many in our country take freedom for granted and just assume that our nation is too large to fail.  I always carry in my wallet a Roman coin from 300 A.D.  The coin bear the image of Constantine.  The Roman Empire was larger than our Republic and lasted twice as long as we have had our freedom, but the Roman Empire is no more.  I pray that in the future someone doesn't carry a quarter that bears the image of Washington in their pocket and speak of the Republic that was America.  We must remember our roots and the ones that sacrificed all for our nation.  This we will defend.
Patriot = An Everyday American That Has Had Enough!

Peanut15

Rusty

Thank you for your passion and dedication. Thanks to everyone. Reagan and I had a great time and plan to come back. We are spreading the word. Huzza.

Harmonica

I didn't anticipate how physically demanding the KD would be.  Carrying around all that stuff didn't help. My sighters were pretty good but I was wore out for the AQTs.  $$-0

Reading the names aloud on Monday morning was a moving and respectful tribute.

Thanks to all the dedicated volunteers for your expertise, assistance and encouragement.
Now who can argue with that?

Ramblin' Wreck

I only made it up on Monday for the KD but it was a great time as usual. We had a great bunch of shooters who now know much more about their rifles than when they arrived and I'm sure we'll see some of them back at future KD events. The shooters learned a lot and so did the instructors about how to make the next event even better.

May Liberty increase.

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

tnjay

Thanks to everyone who came out for the weekend event, and thanks to those who instructed Monday so I could learn more about KD shooting. 

It was great to have such a big group.  There was some excellent shooting going on, and that was fun to see.  Thanks to those who help us spread the word going forward.  Jay

TN_Dadx5

Here are some photos that I had.

The Whole Group

Jay's Old Orange Hat Ventilation Problem

Rusty Giving Us The Second Strike

Eight Riflemen, Riflewomen and Riflekids!

"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

TN_Dadx5

Here are some photos from the KD that was shot on Monday.

The line during the sighters

What a view from 400 yards

Prep Period

Garands Rule!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

BluegrassColonel

It was an honor to receive my Rifleman patch & orange hat this weekend.  I only wish my family could have been there to share the experience with me.  Thanks to Laura for insisting that Rusty score my target!

As I mentioned at the event, I dedicated my tenure of instruction to our late son, Joel.  As Joel's older brother observed at an event in April, Joel would have probably said something like, "What's the big deal?  I qualified on my first AQT!"

Monday's KD was a great learning experience!  We were able to put into practice all of the skills the Project Appleseed teaches.  I was pleasantly surprised I did so well.

I am proud to be joining such a welcoming group of men and women who know what they are about!

My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.