News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kids with no gun experience

Started by Roguelet, June 14, 2014, 09:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roguelet

Everything I'm reading indicates that kids should be comfortable with guns and know how to load/unload, etc. before they go to an Appleseed event.  I want to take my kids to an Appleseed event, but they don't have any real knowledge or experience with guns.  It sounds like they need a pre-Appleseed course.  Are there places where kids can learn the basic stuff that they need to know before they can go to an Appleseed event?  Can anyone suggest a class for that type of thing?  I'm near the Crawfordsville/Lebanon/Lafayette, Indiana area.

Moylan

Hello,

The NRA has some of the kinds of classes you're asking about.  They're called First Steps.  You can search for local availability on this website:  http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx 

If you have the time and money to allow you to get your kids to classes like these, then that seems great.  With that said, however, I don't personally think you need to stay away from Appleseed until your kids have the NRA classes under their belts.  Sure, if they show up at Appleseed already knowing their rifles, and having them all sighted in and so on, that simplifies things a little bit.  But if they show up and don't know the first thing about their rifles, the instructors will just take a few minutes to walk them through basic operations and so on, and keep a close eye on them to see when they need help.  It's not a big deal.
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

2 clicks low

I teach at several NRA kids camps in Illinois. I'm sure there are some in Indiana. These generally cover safety, loading, unloading, safety, marksmanship and safety. They usually have rifle, pistol, shotgun, archery and more.

That said I am always  glad to have a newbie on the line regardless of age. If you are bringing rifles please teach them to load, unload and work the safety. If an instructor is providing a loaner we will teach them how to work the rifle.

We are very good with kids. Have no fear we will take care of them. Just pay attention to your shooting and we will pay attention to theirs.

2cl

"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

asminuteman

You can also inform your SB (shootboss to thee newbie), BEFORE thee event.....
of the situation,....

For myself and the crews/teams I have worked with...
We can/will do a "15-30min familiarization class/clinic" BEFORE thee seed begins, on site......
It's YOUR Responsiblity to notify, set-up, check-in, be prepared, follow directions, be early and above all be on time!
This can be fun for them, and relieve "stress & fears" BEFORE the real chaos begins...

You do thee beginner, yourself and thee instruction team PROUD, by setting this up....
hats off to you for your fore thought!... *tip of thee tricorn Sir*.. huzzah

Its one of my personal joys to work wih first timers,..... thee empowerment, to watch folks grow/mature before our eyes.
AND I'm quite sure others from this organization feel thee same.......
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

DrRichP

Hello Roguelet and welcome to Appleseed.

Children need no prior experience with firearms to attend and Appleseed. Our Instructor cadre will teach your children gun safety and how to load/unload and make their rifles safe. They needn't attend any other course before coming to Appleseed. In fact, quite the opposite; I prefer they children come to Appleseed first as we don't have any bad habits to break. Just let your shoot boss know you have beginning shooters and he/she will make sure they get the attention they need.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Roguelet

Thanks for all of your replies.  I saw some references to borrowing guns... are there guns available to borrow at every event?  How does that work?  Do we "rent" guns for the kids and buy the ammunition at the event location?

2 clicks low

If you need loaners, PM the Shoot Boss to make sure some will be available. We DO NOT sell ammo. Please bring 400-500 rounds of .22lr per shooter. Some SB's MAY have CCI ammo available to kids. Again check with the SB.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

scuzzy

Quote from: Roguelet on June 14, 2014, 12:07:41 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.  I saw some references to borrowing guns... are there guns available to borrow at every event?  How does that work?  Do we "rent" guns for the kids and buy the ammunition at the event location?

Most of the events do have a 'loaner' rifle available. A loaner is a .22 that an instructor brings to the event which they will loan, free of charge, to a student.

There is an email address you can inquire about this:

loaners@AppleseedInfo.org
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Charles McKinley

Hi Roguelet,

Welcome!

How many and What age are the kids you are thinking about bringing?

My son is nine and just went to his first Appleseed.  It is a LONG day/2 days.  Luckily it is not boot camp.  You do not need to shoot every course of fire if you need a break.  Have something for them to do if they need a break.  He came after church the second day but decided he wanted to go home after a little bit.  Glad it was my closet shoot and my wife could pick him up.

Depending on their age I would not try to shoot and have them shoot if they are younger than about 12.  It is much easier to help them prepare magazines, drink enough and keep an eye on them while they take a break.

I will be taking some time off from instructing to take my son to events.  It is too dificult to keep an eye on him and instruct.  I took my daughters when they were 8 & 9 while I was still trying to qualify and had my brother there as a shooter as well to help.  It can be done but is challenging.

I just consulted with the rail thin boy and he recommends things that would help be more comfortable like a heavy shirt to keep the sling from digging into his arm and some soft elbow pads. (the best ones I have seen were made from worn out marino wool socks)

Please contact the Shootboss a week or so in advance so he can round up an extra instructor or two and have time to have rifles to loan.

Most of all enjoy yourself.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Fred

Quote from: DrRichP on June 14, 2014, 11:29:12 AM

Children need no prior experience with firearms to attend and Appleseed. Our Instructor cadre will teach your children gun safety and how to load/unload and make their rifles safe. They needn't attend any other course before coming to Appleseed. In fact, quite the opposite; I prefer they children come to Appleseed first as we don't have any bad habits to break. Just let your shoot boss know you have beginning shooters and he will make sure they get the attention they need.

An excellent statement of Appleseed policy.

Plus, you can get by with less than the 400-500 rds quoted earlier. I'd suggest you can prob show up with NO rounds, and some other shooter may have some to spare. The important thing is to show up, and bring as much ammo as you can find, up to 400 rds per. If you can find and bring more, please do so - someone else may show up "short" on ammo!

I don't really know what the minimum round count for a meaningful AS experience is. It will no doubt vary from shooter to shooter. But I would not be surprised if 100 repetitions of the "Six Steps of Firing a Shot" don't put you over the top so far as learning one of the most important stages to accurate shooting - which means 100 rounds fired under AS instruction will be a giant leap forward in your journey to becoming a rifleman.

Plus, many of us believe exposure to the Story of April 19th, 1775 is the essential core of the weekend Appleseed experience - suggesting the possibility you may or could attend the weekend without firing a shot, and leave well-satisfied that you came...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

SPQR

Ammo is not an issue. I am a Shoot Boss here in Indiana and know the people that staff the events in your area. We are well supplied here in terms of loaner arms and ammo. Simply let the Shoot Boss know what your needs are and we will accommodate you.   If you cannot identify your SB prior to the event post on the Indiana board here and we can make certain you get what you need.

Boiler up
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Roguelet

I have a 13 year old son and an 8 year old daughter.  I'd really like to bring them both, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be the same event.  I wasn't planning to participate myself, I was planning to just watch the kid(s), but it does kind of sound like fun.  I have no experience either though, so I'd hate for an instructor to have to deal with all of us "newbies" at the same time.   

My husband does have some guns, but I don't think they're the right kinds of guns for this, and I'm also not sure what condition they're in.  It's been a REALLY long time since they've been out of their cases.

We went to one of the presentations given at the local library a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it; my son talked about it for days.  That's how we found out about the shooting events.  We've been trying to get something worked out with his Boy Scout Troop, but they plan everything a year or more in advance so it hasn't happened yet.  I figured I would just go ahead and take him and if there ever is a scout group that goes, he can just go again.  Then I started thinking that I wanted my daughter to be able to handle guns and shoot as well, and that's where I am now. 

I'm going to talk to both of them about this and see what they think.  I'm pretty sure that they will both really want to do this, but what I'm not sure about is whether they will get nervous once they're actually there.  Does that ever happen with kids or do they usually love it right away?

DrRichP

Hi Roguelet,

Your children are the perfect age to start learning about firearm safety and our heritage. I have taught many 8 year olds, both girls and boys. I have never had any of them get nervous once they're actually there, just the opposite. They are often slightly apprehensive at first, but once we begin to work with them, they quite enjoy the experience. Bringing both to the same event doesn't represent any problem at all.

Regarding the rifle selection, .22 lr is a fine choice if your husband has one. If not, many of our Instructors have "loaner" rifles to lend. When you sign up for Appleseed, send your shoot boss a message and we'll work with you to ensure your children are properly outfitted. SPQR has indicated all the Indiana instructors have loaner rifles and they will gladly work with you.

As for you, when you come to Appleseed, plan on participating. On my line, the children are put on one end of the line with other children and we have instructors assigned to work with the kids and give them special attention. I know this foray is a big step, but once you take it, I promise you won't regret it. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me, or the shoot boss at your event.

Your going to have a great time, and so are your kids. O0

DrRichP
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

SPQR

I doubt any of the Shoot Bosses will separate you in the area you have indicated. That isn't their style. If you attend the Crawfordsville events the Shoot Boss sings the safety briefing and some of the points of instruction. He even takes requests. It's a blast. In addition he is a VERY GOOD coach and you will learn a ton.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

grunt soldier

There is a crawfordsville shoot this coming weekend. You should definitely bring the kids and come out. I'll be there Sunday to instruct. It's not super packed right now so there will be lots of time for one on one instruction
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

Roguelet

We can't make it this weekend... too much other stuff going on, but I'm hoping to make it out to one of the other Crawfordsville events.  It does sound like a lot of fun.  I see that there is only one other Crawfordsville event currently scheduled this year.  Is that a set schedule, or do events periodically get added throughout the year?

SPQR

It's set. Other venues that might do  are Cloverdale (hourish down 231, just off the highway with flush toilets) Seelyville (go to Cloverdale and hang a right on 70) and Marion County Fish and Game ( Indy just off 465 on Crawfordsville Road).

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Brown

Roguelet

I live on the west side of Indianapolis so if you give me 3 or more days notice of any event you signed up for in the western or central Indiana area I will personally assure you have everything needed for a family of 4 to attend an event. You just sign up for the event and tell me the date and location. If I dont work that event I will know the Shoot Boss and transfer everything to him for loaner.Rifles, slings, mats, everything.

In the case of Ammo we have some bricks available through a program done by federal so that youth can attend one of our events. cost is only $16 a brick (500 rds) so 2 bricks would be enough for your kids.. If you and your husband need rimfire ammo to attend an event I have some spare I can sell to you at my cost (pre scare prices from Walmart).

Just shoot me a PM (private message) since I sometimes miss things posted in other areas of this forum.or an email philbrown@appleseedinfo.org
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

Roguelet

Thank you so much... that's awesome! 

The next Crawfordsville event is the last weekend before school starts and it's usually really crazy then, but I'm really going to try to get the kids to that one. 

Roguelet

OK, I'm ready to sign the kids up for next weekend's event at Crawfordsville! 

I went to the registration page and noticed that it says "18 and under with ID."  What kind of ID do they need?

Also, I saw that it starts at 8:30 both days, but didn't see an end time... can anyone help me with that? 

And, I'm hoping that the offers to loan them guns and equipment still stand.  :)

DrRichP

Kids 16 or 17 may have drivers licenses. If they are younger than that. don't worry about the IDs.
DrRichP

SPQR

It'll run till 5 on Saturday and wrap up a little before that on Sunday. You've made a fantastic choice. ATM is one of the greats. You will be laughing and learning all day.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Brown

Quote from: Roguelet on August 03, 2014, 10:15:38 PM
OK, I'm ready to sign the kids up for next weekend's event at Crawfordsville! 

I went to the registration page and noticed that it says "18 and under with ID."  What kind of ID do they need?

Also, I saw that it starts at 8:30 both days, but didn't see an end time... can anyone help me with that? 

And, I'm hoping that the offers to loan them guns and equipment still stand.  :)

PM inbound also but please post up here what you need for equipment and for how many. I dont live all that far from Crawfordsville but need some idea what is needed so that I dont pack the kitchen sink  ;D
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

ATM

Just happened upon this thread and find it rather pertinent to my interests.  ;)

Glad to hear you're coming out for an Appleseed with the kids, Roguelet. I know we've traded emails in the past but this will give us a better chance to talk as I'll be the Shoot Boss at Crawfordsville this weekend.

Please keep me in the loop regarding any specific needs or further questions you may have and we'll ensure that everything happens to make it a safe, fun and rewarding weekend.

ATM
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Roguelet

I'm bringing a 13 year old boy and an 8 year old girl, and they have nothing, need everything.  It looks like they can only be there on Saturday, not on Sunday.  I will get them officially signed up tonight; off to work right now!

ATM

Quote from: Roguelet on August 06, 2014, 07:57:05 AM
I'm bringing a 13 year old boy and an 8 year old girl, and they have nothing, need everything.  It looks like they can only be there on Saturday, not on Sunday.  I will get them officially signed up tonight; off to work right now!

OK, they're covered.

We can provide gear for you, too, if you need it.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Roguelet

They are officially registered!  :)

I'd like to do this at some point, but I think I'll just watch them this time.  Next time, I will definitely give it a go!

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice and assistance... I'm really looking forward to Saturday!