News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek KY. AAR June 7-8 2014

Started by Mudcat, June 09, 2014, 12:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

What a great weekend at Knob Creek Range, with some great Americans! It was nice to Ser everyone come out for the shoot. This was one of the largest turn outs we have had in Kentucky in a while and it was because of you guys and gals getting off the couch. We had  fathers and sons, son in-laws, fathers and daughters, brothers, friends and husbands and wives. Quite the varied turn out, lots of first time seeders as well. Everyone came with a desire to learn a a willingness to try new things.
At the end of the day Saturday we came up with 2 Riflemen Nathan who was a re-qualification that shied he had not let his skills perish and Mike who had persisted through 5 Appleseed shoots to finally break the 220 barrier. Lots of good history spread throughout the day helped keep the hot sun from getting us too hot. Lots of shooters showed great improvement on Saturday. Mike rocked that United States Rifle Cal .30 model 2 all day on Satyrday quite the feat for a soon to be 68 year old man, Huzzah! I now know him to be a dangerous old man for sure.
Sunday brought us a little drizzle and EVERYONE returning for more! We started off with a little review session and everyong had thought about the previous day and had some good questions for the instructor crew.  A few squares and a little coaching and we got into the AQT grind. Then we got 2 more Riflemen with Scott the original and another Mike. Mike got a little extra with his Rifleman patch with a dose of North Bridge Water for his 210. We had many showing great improvement and knocking in the door team hard with Dan and Eldon both with 208. Christian, Scott, Caleb and Dennis really putting things together later in the day. Benjamin made some tremendoes improvment over the werkend as well. Some had equipment trouble and continued to work through them, showing some good persistence.
 I am proud to have you all come out and join us. You all showed me that America is still great and people still care. We will save this great nation if we all become involved and let our thoughts be known. I hope to see you all at an Appleseed again soon with a few friend and family. 
I didn't take many pics but I know some others did. Post away please.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Unbridled Liberty

Pictures! 
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Rayne on June 11, 2014, 12:41:23 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about...That shooter is splattered all over the ground like a bug on a windshield.   O0
In all seriousness and being picky, I'd like to see his hips squared up a bit and his torso a bit lower, but I like his prone position a lot.  Reminds me of an Indiana instructor that's always at Nashville.  Good Job Shooter, hope you enjoyed your weekend and will pass on what you've learned about your heritage to your friends and family.

"...bug on a windshield"  Ha Ha.  Good one Rayne.  This is Ben.  He is from Lexington too.  He showed great improvement.  His Steady Hold Factors were very good, as were his Six Steps, and he appeared to understand NPOA.  His groups were improving but still not as tight as his application of the fundamentals might predict.  And his POI kept changing.  He let me zero his rifle and we checked all screws, and everything was solid.  He is right-eye dominant.  Groups were roundish.  Can you diagnose what was going on?  Ben, jump in if you are here.

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

And a few more pictures...
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Rayne

~
QuoteDo not forget those who fought for your Liberties and Freedoms and take care to guard them against all tyranny.

Unbridled Liberty

You are very observant.  I think you are on the right track.  O0

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Mudcat

I mentioned the bend in the spine and believe this to be a larger part of the problem. I have seen a couple that could pull if the crooked spine and put together good rimfire groups. But most will struggle and all will struggle with a centerfire rifle because the recoil will cause compression and rebound of the bow making a shift in NPOA. He has long arms and is going to have a very high position. I don't think he was glancing at his watch, but front sight focus is probably an issue. I have used a camera in the past to show the shooter their position and how they should fix it. I did not with Ben, my fault.
But Ben made a lot of progress with his shooting and needs a little bit of tweaking.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Unbridled Liberty

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this in to an analysis of a single shooter.  Keep at it Ben, there is a Rifleman inside you, I just know it.  This was the longest line we have had in Kentucky in quite a long time, and as such, it was very encouraging.  Numbers in Kentucky have been way down, but you all proved that folks still care about their country. 

Thanks especially to the parents who brought their children; Michael/Cody., Dan/Christian, Tim/Drew, and Josh/Elizabeth and Ethan.  And thanks to Josh for donating 1650 rounds of .22 long rifle to the program.  O0   Doug and Ariel, I hope you come to another event soon, it was nice meeting you both.  Michael G:  thank you once again for your service sir, and it was nice meeting you and to be able to put a face with a name.  Eldon, you are a good sport.  Not everyone who is "robbed" of a Rifleman's patch by "friendly" fire takes it so well.  This tells me that your purpose in being there was not for a cloth patch, but to improve yourself as an American.   O0  Dennis and Scott/Scott, it was nice meeting you as well.   Michael B: you have shown great persistence, and it has paid off; congratulations on that well-earned patch.  Nathan; good seeing you again and thanks for bringing your brother Caleb. 

I know I forgot someone, so please forgive me.  I appreciate you all.  Keep practicing, tell your friends and family that all is not lost for our country.  Write letters and make phone calls to your representatives.  And if you happen to be having a bad day, remember, at least you don't have to walk out your front door and face 17" bayonets with big guys in red behind them.  Long live Liberty!  Long live the Republic!

UL
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave