News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mariposa. CA May 10, 2014 KD 200 YD

Started by KP, May 25, 2014, 05:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KP

One shooter attended our first Known Distance event in Mariposa.  By placing the target up a pretty steep hill, we are able to stretch out to 200 yards.  This did give us an opportunity to discuss shooting up and down hill (even though the effect is very slight for our 13 degree slope).  Since there was only one shooter, I (KP) shot the sighters and the first AQT with my M1 Garand.  Not having shot it much, I needed to get more familiar with sight adjustment and "clip" changes.  Even so, I did better than I expected.  Maybe it is the M1's great sights, but these aging eyes were actually able to see the 300 and 400 yard targets!

Brian brought a bolt action HMR .17.  We had fun learning the ballistics of this flat shooting (at least out to 200 yd.) cartridge.  He had attended an Appleseed a few years ago, so he needed a little refreshing.  He picked up the basics quickly, and his positions and fundamentals were quite good.  After a while, he decided that he liked the sling for the extra stability that it gave him.

Brian didn't quite beat the "time monkey", but he came close.  The use of the sling, the information on ballistics and the data gathered from the sighters at each distance were all very helpful to Brian.  Those ground squirrels had really better watch out now!

MamNoJamma called the line for the first AQT and gave instruction after that.  She is always a great help.

KP