News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FYI -- Bunker Hill Lecture 5/5/2014 6PM at OSV

Started by hbennett, April 10, 2014, 12:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbennett

FYI - For anyone interested

http://www.osv.org/event/speaker-series/speaker-series-nathaniel-philbrick

From the OSV website..

"Award-winning historical non-fiction writer, Nathaniel Philbrick will make a special appearance at Old Sturbridge Village as part of the Overseers' Distinguished Speaker Series to discuss his latest book, Bunker Hill:  A City, a Siege, a Revolution.  The book tells the story of the Battle of Bunker Hill - the bloodiest battle of the Revolution to come, and the point of no return for the rebellious colonists..."

(Disclaimer -- I am in no way affiliated with OSV, nor Mr. Philbrick..YMMV..etc.,etc.,..)

-hbennett
Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

hbennett

I attended the BH lecture on 5/5 at OSV.  The actual lecture was only 45-50 minutes, with a Q&A session that lasted about 30 minutes after that. 

While the author was engaging, and the subject matter was interesting, he really didn't go into the kind of depth that I have heard from speakers telling the strikes at an average Appleseed. (A tip of the hat to AS speakers).
Then again, his lecture seemed more like a teaser to sell his book, rather than give away the entire substance of that book.

Nonetheless, I did come away with a greater appreciaton of Dr. Joseph Warren's contribution to the Revolution (and a copy of the book as well). Dr. Warren was a primary focus of the lecture.   Colonial marksmanship was also mentioned, as well as the astonishment of the Regulars at the ability of the Colonials to pick-off officers, and the heavy price the Regulars paid to take that hill. 

The author mentioned that his research into this topic has inspired him to continue his research of the Revolution, and has decided to publish more books on various RW topics.  The next should be a study of the Battle of Saratoga.

For anyone interested, the Author is Nathaniel Philbrick. The Title to his book is "Bunker Hill: A City, A Siege, A Revolution".  It seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews on Amazon. 

-hbennett

Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

MostlyHarmless

I'm curious how the book is. Perhaps I will put it on the list with Fischer's Washington's Crossing.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

Philbrick's book is quite good.  You may be able to find it at your local library.  I would advise staying away from Bunker Hill by Howard Fast.  Here is my review at B&N: "To be honest, I could not stomach more than the first couple chapters. Reads like a cheap dime store paperback. Simply dreadful."

If you want to learn more about Joseph Warren, the man, try Dr. Joseph Warren by Samuel A. Forman.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms