News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Heat

Started by Engineer shooting, June 24, 2014, 01:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

According the national weather service it hit 98 degrees Sunday. It was also humid, I don't know what the heat index was. I did suggest that one of the elder shooters go home early.

The range always provides coolers with water and Gatorade and coolers with ice for cooling towels. What other safe guards are suggested?

p.s. how do I get some Infernoseed patchs?
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

kenjo

I'm a big fan of those small swimming pools filled with about 3 feet of cool water to jump into from time to time during the weekend, but I suppose that is not practical...

:pop:

kenjo
"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

scuzzy

Here in Texas it can get brutally hot. Some things I've done:

1. Wet my hat - only good for a little while though.
2. Wet handkerchief on neck - like #1 above.
3. Spray bottle and spray myself occasionally. Looks funny but on a hot day you'll have people asking to borrow your bottle. And heat exhaustion is nothing to laugh about.

And finally - and this was amazing - there is a special 'rag' called Frogg Toggs:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-Toggs-Chilly-Pad-Cooling-Towel/23554912

It's like #2 above but actually worked for about 2 to 3 hours before having to re-wet.. It was amazing. Some people said they don't work. But me and the guys that used them - it was about 105 that day - all agreed it was good stuff.  Not expensive either.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Nero

All of those - and the following - depend on evaporating water to keep ya cool.  Don't work so well in 98% humidity.  That said:

You can set up a 'mister' (see for instance, http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-20066-Portable-Outdoor-Cooling/dp/B000P0KSXO) at a place where the shooters can take breaks.  If you've got pressurized water, you're good to go.  If not, I've seen a nice rig that eaglescouter made by cementing a male hose fitting onto a hand-pumped sprayer filled with water and attaching the mister.  Pump it up and you're good to go.  That helped us survive a high 90s shoot in San Jose last year.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Prof. C.J.

There are various designs of "cooling vests" out there, some mil-surp, some civilian.  I don't have first-hand experience using any of them, but at least some of the designs have good reps.  They're generally designed to hold cold and/or frozen water up against your body's core, which in my limited medical understanding seems like it would be the most important place to focus your cooling efforts if you're really overheating.  Might be worth having a vest or two handy at super-hot shoots (perhaps stored in a cooler) for emergency situations.

There's a company called Steele that makes what looks like a good one; they also make these for the military.  I've considered buying one, but unless you find a good deal on a surplus one, they can be pricey.
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

LawDog

SHADE.  Find some.  Make some.  Somehow. 

We use lots of pop-up tents to get the shooters - and instructors - under some cover as often as possible.  The debate is always whether to cover the firing line or the instruction area.  I don't know which is better, but do at least one if you can. 

slim

Modern Americans are not equipped to deal with intense heat. As such, the SB's primary concern in weather such as that should be safety. Pushing folks through doesn't help their marksmanship anyway.

It's OK to sit in the shade and tell stories all day.

It's quite possible to do a dry fire event in the air conditioned classroom of the clubhouse. It would be fine to break up into groups in shaded areas and work as shooter/coach on things like NPOA, shifting, carding sights, etc. Doing a really good KD lesson and covering the Six Steps more thoroughly are good things to do in the shade as well. And, if all that marksmanship stuff fails....you could always tell more history!

The more events I do the less we shoot. It's not about the shooting. Think outside the box and give them what they came for whether they know theyre getting it or not.

Ramblin' Wreck

In the Tennessee Valley popups are your friend. We usually have enough to cover the line with 2 or 3 adjustments during the day as the shade moves. I've also learned the value of one of those new high-tech bandannas dipped in the ice chest. That will cool you off and wake you up.  ^:)^

In Pelham a couple of weeks ago I suggested an older shooter (even older than I am) sit out a while because he got wobbly in afternoon. It was mid 90's and if it had been any more humid it would have been raining. I may have to figure out how to cobble together one of those misting stations.

Y'all be cool.  O0

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Maximum Ordinate

And here I thought this thread was about a Pacino movie.   :wb:
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

henschman

Bring pop-ups, encourage frequent drinking, take 10 min. breaks periodically to let everyone drink and sit in the shade a while (good time to throw in some history), bring a cooler or ice chest full of water and/or Gatorade and encourage everyone to drink from it, know the signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration and watch for them.  Also you have to be particularly aware of the time monkey, and make frequent use of "quickly, quickly" -- everyone starts dragging ass when it's hot, instructors and shoot bosses too. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Pitmaster

Besides the above, I have an issue with sweat running down into my eyes. This can definitely interfere with marksmanship and seeing. I ran across the Sweat Gutr which works great to divert sweat away from your eyes. I bought one and was so impressed that I bought several more to keep in various range bags, car, and at home.

They are available at Amazon.com. Don't forget to make your Amazon purchases through the Amazon Smile program. By enrolling in the program, you can chose from a variety of charities which will receive a portion of the price. I chose the RWVA.

There was a thread somewhere about the Smile Amazon program here. I'm curious as to how much revenue it may be generating and encourage others to sign up to support our mission with their purchasess
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

9mm4545

Inferno-seed patches? Talk to Smoakingun.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Morpheus

Over fill your lines and then run the shooters in relays. Relay 1 is on the line while Relay 2 is prepping mags, hydrating, potty break . . .etc. Then switch them around. We've done that the last few events at Toccoa and had nearly 100% engaging the Redcoat Saturday after 5:00pm.
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

MostlyHarmless

Quote from: kenjo on June 24, 2014, 05:05:33 PM
I'm a big fan of those small swimming pools filled with about 3 feet of cool water to jump into from time to time during the weekend, but I suppose that is not practical...

Great idea!

But it turns out that we have a new orange hat in our state, with a history of shooting these pools....  ::)

QuoteOver fill your lines and then run the shooters in relays. Relay 1 is on the line while Relay 2 is prepping mags, hydrating, potty break . . .etc. Then switch them around.

Something to consider.

But keep in mind, you are then running your instructor staff much harder than usual. They are not getting their usual moments of down time (when students are preparing mags, etc). And you are relying on them to maintain safety on the line.

I have worked good relay shoots, and I have worked not so good relay shoots. They are always more demanding on instructors that non-relay shoots. (On one occasion, I was really not safe to drive home after working a day of relays due to exhaustion.) Haven't yet done a truly hot relay shoot. I can't imagine I would be up for two days of it.
"Alas!! I spy a shooting bench and stool ahead in yonder treeline. Perhaps also there is a forefather with a rifle. I fear an ambush!"
-not overheard during the British retreat from Concord, Apr 19, 1775

bill o rites

I personally use a cool vest. From Glacier tek. Right here in melbourne fl.  Works great
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.