News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed starring in Hollywood

Started by 9mm4545, April 17, 2014, 09:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

The Hollywood Rifle and Pistol Club has invited us back! This is a premium location in South Florida and we now have a new date: June 7-8. Events here in the past have quickly sold out so I expect we will be needing a few good men (and women) to help staff this shoot. Granted, it is summertime in S. Florida but consider this: the range has extensive overhead cover, an air-conditioned classroom a few steps from the firing line for demos and history, a chilled water fountain and soda machine at the firing line, wall mounted fans at each firing point, and no mud! Now, who's in?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

malabar

Bruce,

We've got a shoot in Palm Bay that weekend a couple of hours north and a group of instructors who usually staff those shoots.  Maybe we can coordinate the two shoots? 
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

9mm4545

Our main problem with the Hollywood range is their extensive schedule of matches. Dates that can be made available for Appleseed are quite limited. Do you have anyone signed up for Malabar yet? Perhaps they might want to experience Hollywood instead? The club there has been extremely supportive of AS and we generally attract some very fine shooters to this venue. Other than the long drive (for me), it is a great place to work an event.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Prof. C.J.

I'm not yet 100% sure, but I think I might be able to make it down there yet again.

BTW, as someone who grew up just a few miles from that range, I can say that the differences in heat & humidity in June between North FL & South FL are much more theoretical than real, and that the amenities Bruce mentioned at that range (shade, AC classroom, etc) more than compensate for those theoretical differences.  :)
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

malabar

Quote from: 9mm4545 on April 17, 2014, 12:40:53 PM
Our main problem with the Hollywood range is their extensive schedule of matches. Dates that can be made available for Appleseed are quite limited. Do you have anyone signed up for Malabar yet? Perhaps they might want to experience Hollywood instead? The club there has been extremely supportive of AS and we generally attract some very fine shooters to this venue. Other than the long drive (for me), it is a great place to work an event.

I'll go.  I'll even shoot boss if you like.

I can probably get NomadicHillbilly to come to come down with me.

tk
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

9mm4545

Quote from: malabar on April 18, 2014, 08:52:34 PM

tk

If you decide to take it, give me a call and I can give you some suggestions on lodging, dining, target line setup, etc. The folks at the club are super helpful as well.

malabar

Quote from: 9mm4545 on April 21, 2014, 02:09:55 PM
Quote from: malabar on April 18, 2014, 08:52:34 PM

tk

If you decide to take it, give me a call and I can give you some suggestions on lodging, dining, target line setup, etc. The folks at the club are super helpful as well.

OK, I'm in.

I'll give you a call...

tk

smoakingun

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

malabar

This looks to be a great shoot. We've got a couple of weeks left and already have 15 signed up.

Thanks for making that LOOOOOOONG trip down smoaking gun!

tk